Which field has the least paperwork?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InquisitiveGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which fields of medicine tend to have the lease amount of BS paperwork and more medicine? Surgery?

Is there computer software on the horizon (within 4-5ish years) to cut down on paperwork?

Members don't see this ad.

The same paperwork exists with computers, with forms you need to fill out as well.

Least paperwork is probably something like radiology, but they still have to dictate reports and stuff. Less direct patient care will decrease some of the paperwork, but also may increase other types of busywork.

are ya kiddin,? EM by far. T-sheets and EMR.

I can't speak about the other fields, but don't go into surgery to avoid paperwork. Not only is complete and thorough documentation required, it will save your arse if and when you are sued.

Perhaps its a function of the "computer era" coinciding with the increased documentation requirements, but computers aren't cutting down on *my* paperwork. I thought I'd be faster, after all I can type pretty rapidly. But every institution and department has decided that since we have EMR/EHR, it won't hurt to add on just one little eensy weensy extra form for the doctors to fill out.

So, I now have to fill out a pre-op H&P update, type in post-op orders, print out prescriptions, dictate a post-op note, sign path request slips, type a post-op note, review discharge medications/discharge instructions/complete "Core Initiatives" paperwork, Tumor Staging Form and so on. It is true that much of it I did before the advent of the EMR but it was quicker because I wasn't opening up multiple screens, saving, printing, walking to the printer, etc and I could do it at the bedside while talking to the patient and their family. I have decided to blame my incipient renal stones on the inability to pee between cases because I just don't have time anymore. Forget about eating.

Oh, and I haven't included the office documentation which includes coding and billing, FMLA/disability paperwork, etc. Surgery isn't paperwork light (although it may be more so than some fields).

Last edited:
I agree with winged scapula. While this doesnt really answer the OPs question, i think that the EMR has actually created more paper work, because they keep on adding extra boxes to click and forms to submit. Not to mention some of the redundancy of the system. And at least once per call, I find myself having to rewrite admit orders, because the clerk in charge of activating them, accidentally deleted them....

Least paperwork is probably something like radiology, but they still have to dictate reports and stuff. ...

Actually if you count dictations as paperwork (I do) I suspect radiology and other fields where they work on a volume business, ie looking at hundreds of films in the time medicine deals with one patient, the paperwork kind of dwarfs other fields.

The least paperwork would be the lower volume, consult practices, like rheum, endo.

Outpatient general medicine.

In my years of practice, I have only had to write short visit notes, review labs, and review charts. I do not have to dictate or fill out any forms except to request studies not available at my office. Even then, all I do is fill in the reason for the study and sign. I have never had to deal with routine insurance forms. Someone is paid to do that full-time.

To be sure, there is alot of paperwork in medicine; but I only do the stuff that cannot be delegated.

If you work for an institution, you end up doing a lot of "unneccessary" paperwork. It makes no sense to me why a highly trained MD should be filling out paperwork that a clerk could easily do. But I guess that because they have you on salary, they can pretty much dump anything on you. Smart institutions should realize that although this behavior could lead to short term savings in hiring clerks, it causes significantly more damage in low morale and high turnover. Streamlining paperwork should be an urgent priority given that it affects the lives of all practicing physicians. Ideally, physicians need to make sure that their handwriting is clearly legible and contain all necessary information for nurses to execute their orders and clerks to fill out all necessary paperwork.

Of course, some paperwork cannot be delegated such as consultations, operative notes, radiology reports etc. However no physician should be filling out requistion forms, referrals, insurance reinbursement, forms etc.

actual Ortho attending note while I was on rounds: "LGFD". Confused, I asked what it meant. Answer? "Looks good from doorway"...:laugh:lol

Classic urban legend about ortho notes.

If he truly wrote that in his note (and nothing else), he can't bill for that visit. Can't even just write, "agree with resident's note" anymore.

Do your EMRs have the ability to create your own templates? Do you find this helps save time or is each case unique enough that templates aren't worth the effort? I only ask b/c I know the VA's EMR allows you to create and save templates.

Not family medicine, that's for sure.

I spend nearly as much time in clinic documenting and doing paperwork as I do face to face with patients.

I spend MORE time in the hospital doing paperwork than I do seeing patients.

This is definitely one of the biggest downsides of FM, IMHO.

Not family medicine, that's for sure.

I spend nearly as much time in clinic documenting and doing paperwork as I do face to face with patients.

I spend MORE time in the hospital doing paperwork than I do seeing patients.

This is definitely one of the biggest downsides of FM, IMHO.

It's practice-specific. As others have alluded, there's plenty of "paperwork" (whether physical paper or the electronic equivalent) in every field. The key is how you manage it.