Which has more quantitative labs?

Started by DOPharmMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DOPharmMD

Aspiring PharmD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MD or PharmD?

I just read a thread about struggling pharmacy students. After glancing through some of the posts, I'm left wondering the following:

Do Pharmacy schools have more labs than MD?

I am not fond of labs at all. The worst lab experiences are chemistry ones. I particularly do not like Organic labs at all. I don't think I learn as much and the questions are way too difficult, forcing you to think like a research chemist with years of tranining (for a 1 credit course).

After seing a chemistry problem in that thread asking the purpose of some substance in the reaction... I wonder if I'm making a mistake applying to pharmacy schools as I may not enjoy the labs at all.

In medical schools, I would enjoy labs about the human body and don't think the labs are as quantitative.

I had A for organic lab 1 and may get A or B for organic 2 this semester. It is absolutely demanding and interpreting IR and purposes and all that are a pain; needless to say that I can't wait for this class to be over. I'm afraid that this attitude however might make me miserable come pharmacy labs.

I submitted two supplementals already. I need opinion from medical students as well.
 
I wouldn't base your future career on which school has better or fewer labs. While you may not have labs exactly like your current Organic chem lab, I think you will continue to face labs that make you take some information, apply some thought and logic to the situation and then draw conclusions. Sure I haven't faced IR data since I left Organic chem. But I have had to analyze and apply critical thinking to a lot of situations.

Forgive my shortness, I'm a lab instructor and it always amazes me how little students want to think about a problem. They just want to get done and get the answer.