1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

which is profession has easier admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by BostonSox1901, Aug 5, 2015.

1. BostonSox1901

Pre-Optometry
    So I am undecided between Optometry and Podiatry. I have visited a few Optometry schools as well as shadowed an optometrist. I loved it however i like that Podiatrist's are able to perform surgery. I finished college with a 3.27 cum gpa and 3.45 science gpa. My issue is that after my sophmore year of college i was forced to retake many of the pre-requisite classes required because i had gone through some issues in life my first two years of college with family issues. I did manage to get mostly A's once i retook the classes however. I am just wondering between Podiatry and Optometry which has easier admissions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Meeehai

You shouldn't enter a program because admissions are easier there, you should enter the program you like more and would be satisfied with in the future. Your GPA isn't good, but if you want to perform surgery I recommend applying to medical school. If you do very well on the MCAT and have strong ECs, you can get into a DO school.

BostonSox1901 likes this.
  4. .

#3 torontopharm, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  5. eye love lamp

eye love lamp Membership Revoked
    Removed

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't imagine basing your career entirely off of what profession has the easier admissions process. Seriously pick a career you love and go for it. Stop being lazy.

6. BostonSox1901

Pre-Optometry
    Optomcas takes the highest grade as long as it's at the same institution. I am not basing my decision off which has easier admissions i was just curious which one was more competitive. I couldn't find any good up to date stats on podiatry. I just want to know if i am in the ballpark atleast of being accepted if i were to chose that field. Thanks everyone for their advice though.

7. eyesonme19

Pre-Optometry
    you can always call the admission offices of each grad program maybe schools you are considering and straight up ask for advice. Dont mention you are thinking of a different career just ask about your personal chances with said gpa etc.

Snakedoctor1 and BostonSox1901 like this.