which looks better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.....a double major in economics and biological sciences with a minor in psych, or a double major in economics and genetics with no minor?

i'm debating about what path to take, simply because many courses for these 2 majors (genetics and bio. sci.) overlap..

i've heard mixed reviews about genetics and bio. I've heard that genetics looks more impressive, whereas bio sci. may be a bit easier..

but the truth is, genetics involves a lot of research during my junior year, and i don't know if that will be good for DAT study time..

any thoughts?

cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

.....a double major in economics and biological sciences with a minor in psych, or a double major in economics and genetics with no minor?

i'm debating about what path to take, simply because many courses for these 2 majors (genetics and bio. sci.) overlap..

i've heard mixed reviews about genetics and bio. I've heard that genetics looks more impressive, whereas bio sci. may be a bit easier..

but the truth is, genetics involves a lot of research during my junior year, and i don't know if that will be good for DAT study time..

any thoughts?

cheers.

Anything in which you can keep your gpa high and do good on DAT.

It doesn't matter if you major in buttplugs, just get a good GPA and take the prereqs and you're good. There are plenty of engineering and other non science majors in dental schools. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter if you major in buttplugs, just get a good GPA and take the prereqs and you're good. There are plenty of engineering and other non science majors in dental schools. Good luck.

lol

Double-majoring because you have that fervent passion for genetics or whatever is one thing, and double-majoring just because you want to ornamet your DS application is one thing else. Seriously, if you are planning to double major just to make your application look better, forget about it! It's not worth all the hassle and the huge extra energy and time you will need to spend for that second major or minor classes. Select one major only, get good grades to make a good gpa, do well on your DAT, apply early, and you are set. Majoring in bio will get you to DS through the shortest route, since the prereqs will be required by your major as well.

Pick ONE Major, spend the rest of the time that you would be spending on another Major/Minor and spend that time studying for the DAT and taking more upper-level science classes (Histology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, ect.) Pick ANY Major, whichever one you have the most passion for. There's no preference for a science major, in fact, I was praised during each interview for being a Psychology Major.

To reiterate:
High Cumulative GPA
High Science GPA
High DAT

Any extra major/minor/research/job/extracurricular that takes away from any of those three elements is something not worth doing.

Pick ONE Major, spend the rest of the time that you would be spending on another Major/Minor and spend that time studying for the DAT and taking more upper-level science classes (Histology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, ect.) Pick ANY Major, whichever one you have the most passion for. There's no preference for a science major, in fact, I was praised during each interview for being a Psychology Major.

To reiterate:
High Cumulative GPA
High Science GPA
High DAT

Any extra major/minor/research/job/extracurricular that takes away from any of those three elements is something not worth doing.
I almost agree. The application process is a numbers game, but they don't want some individual who is locked up studying all the time. They want to see high GPA/DAT and leadership activites. Research helps and volunteering is highly recommended. But I agree, one major is the best way to go along with some upper level science classes (since you seem really gunho).

I agree with some of those above. Choose one major. Why major in economics if you want to go into dentistry? If you just like economics then take a bio minor (not major) to fulfill your reqs. I can tell you from experience it is a BAD idea to overwhelm yourself. I started an academic fraternity, majored in molecular biology, minored in general management and I regret 2 of those because my really good fresh/soph GPA began to fall when I started to bite off more than I could chew and was too stubborn to let any of it go. I ended up with a respectable GPA, but I could have done better. Trust me. It will save you time in the long run!

Pick one field... if you want to get into business or something later, go for a 2 yr MBA while cutting down practicing dentistry to part time. ;)

I agree with some of those above. Choose one major. Why major in economics if you want to go into dentistry? If you just like economics then take a bio minor (not major) to fulfill your reqs. I can tell you from experience it is a BAD idea to overwhelm yourself. I started an academic fraternity, majored in molecular biology, minored in general management and I regret 2 of those because my really good fresh/soph GPA began to fall when I started to bite off more than I could chew and was too stubborn to let any of it go. I ended up with a respectable GPA, but I could have done better. Trust me. It will save you time in the long run!

Pick one field... if you want to get into business or something later, go for a 2 yr MBA while cutting down practicing dentistry to part time. ;)

I agree. You need to really find the entire equilibrium for yourself and also have time to yourself to keep your insanity.

thanks for the input everyone...

and i mean, i don't really want to double major, but its coming down to the fact that, since i have to take all of these extra science electives to boost my science gpa, it turns out that i would need to take an additional class or 2 plus a few labs to fulfill a biological sciences major....so its not like that i would be doing that much extra