Which LOR carries more weight for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C8H11NO2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an LOR debacle. I intend to submit my ERAS applications today and am trying to decide between two letters to assign to programs. One is from my Family Medicine attending, who is a DO physician. The other is from my Psychiatry attending, who is an MD physician. According to my registrar, both letters are very strong, but the Psych one is probably a bit stronger and more personal. I already have a letter from a DO attending and don't want my letters to be too "DO-heavy", as I am an MD student. However, I am not sure if a Psychiatry letter carries as much weight as a FM or IM letter. Which would you choose?

P.S. I love all DO physicians! They were some of my best attendings in med school!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the DO part is completely irrelevant. Nobody cares.

And from everything I've been told and experienced while applying, SLORs>>>>>>everything else. So first focus on getting good SLORs from an Emergency Physician. Then if you have room for another non SLOR letter in your application, go with what you think will be the strongest, most supportive letter regardless of the specialty.

PS- submit your ERAS right now! Don't wait for letters!

Just my 2 cents.

Get that app in now!

Our program director's philosophy on LORs was to only get them from EPs. She said to only get them from another specialty if you saved their child from a burning building.