Which LOR's to use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently asked for physicians as well as my advisor to write me LOR's for this upcoming application season. My problem is, im not sure which ones to use. Currently I have 2 DO's writing letters for me. One of which works at an osteopathic school ( which ill obviously be using) and the other works in the ER with me who i work with every once in a while. Both like me and I feel would write great leters. In fact, they both told me they would be able to write me great ones. I also have an MD who ive worked with on almost a daily basis who goes to my church writing me a letter. She handed back my CV and PS when I gave them to her cause she said she didnt need them to write me a great letter. I asked my Undergraduate advisor for one yesterday and he said to get another science letter. So on top of those I have a professor I did research for. I guess for me, if they need 2 science ( like my advisor said), the toss up is between the second DO letter and the MD letter. I feel the MD knows me a little better and would write a more personal letter, but the DO ive worked with as well and knows me. Not to mention hes a DO and im applying to only osteopathic schools. He even offered to tweak the letter for different schools i was applying too.

Thanks for reading,
Any ideas?:shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

I recently asked for physicians as well as my advisor to write me LOR's for this upcoming application season. My problem is, im not sure which ones to use. Currently I have 2 DO's writing letters for me. One of which works at an osteopathic school ( which ill obviously be using) and the other works in the ER with me who i work with every once in a while. Both like me and I feel would write great leters. In fact, they both told me they would be able to write me great ones. I also have an MD who ive worked with on almost a daily basis who goes to my church writing me a letter. She handed back my CV and PS when I gave them to her cause she said she didnt need them to write me a great letter. I asked my Undergraduate advisor for one yesterday and he said to get another science letter. So on top of those I have a professor I did research for. I guess for me, if they need 2 science ( like my advisor said), the toss up is between the second DO letter and the MD letter. I feel the MD knows me a little better and would write a more personal letter, but the DO ive worked with as well and knows me. Not to mention hes a DO and im applying to only osteopathic schools. He even offered to tweak the letter for different schools i was applying too.

Thanks for reading,
A few schools will require a DO letter but not that many. It really comes down to who you think will be able to convey your desire to become a physician, which ever letter writer has the best relationship with you is the one I would pick. I don't think any of us can tell you that you need to pick one or the other, but you can always send different letters to different schools so you have the potential to use all of them.

Best of luck

Thanks for reading,

Depends on if the schools have a maximum on the number of letters you can send. If they don't specify, then send all of them since it can't hurt. I would use both the D.O. letters and the MD letter if you can, plus whatever pre-req letters you need for each school (science, non-science, advisor, etc.). The research letter would also be good. I would use as much or all of them if possible... just depends on the school.