Which Major Should I Choose?

Started by Bruinized
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bruinized

here to stay
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am currently a Psychobiology student at UCLA and I was thinking about changing majors. The reason I became a psychobiology major was because I talked to a counselor about my goal to get into Pharm School and she recommended that I take either Psychobio or Biochem, and also becasue Psychobio seemed more interesting than Biochem. And I ended up thinking that those were the only two majors that would help me complete my pre-reqs for pharm school, particularly USC. Anyway, I recently found out that there were more choices out there such as MIMG and MCDB. I would like to know what your experience was like like with your major and if it really helped prepare you for pharm school. What did you like about the major and what didnt you like. Thank you for your help. 🙂
 
Most of biochem majors end up going to pharmacy school. I am talking about current choice that students make. ANother larger portion also go to dental school. But students who take biology incline to go to med school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with what everybody else has said, with the caveat that you should consider what will happen if you don't get into pharmacy school on the first try. Of course, I hope you *do* get in, but if you don't, you'll have at least a year where you'll have to get a job with the skills you learned in undergrad. When you're choosing a major, think about what skills you'll learn and what sorts of jobs you could get with those skills. Can't think of any useful skills that major will teach you? Pick another major.

Good luck! :luck: