which major will help me in pharm school?

Started by gotspice2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gotspice2

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi im planning to go to a pharm school after i complete my major. im thinking about major in science but i dunno which field will help me the most when i go to a pharm school. i know it will be chemistry n biology but can you be more specific.

thank you
 
I would suggest you major in something you're truly interested in, science or not, as you'll almost surely do better in classes that interest you. Also consider that--if you are interested in a non-science field--your undergraduate years may be the last time you have the opportunity to truly explore that area in depth.

My (non-science) major has been a real talking point in interviews, and I think has made me stand out a bit amongst all the other chem and bio people. When I was in college, it was refreshing to focus on liberal artsy material, and to meet liberal artsy people, in between all the labs and intense competition. I also found it valuable to broaden my horizons by taking classes that provided a different outlook on the world and encouraged a different type of thinking.

Regardless, if you are passionate about what you study, and earn strong marks, you'll get in regardless of your major. Whew--a long response--but I hope that helps somewhat. 🙂
 
This actually makes a lot of sense. If you are studying a different discipline other than a science but you complete your pre-reqs and do well in them, you will stand out from the crowd because you are a more well rounded student. It honestly doesn't matter what you major in so long as you do well in ALL classes taken. You could also have bio or chem as a minor to give a little more of an edge in the science department and display more competence in the main area of study in pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard that having a science degree helps from a friend of mine, but who knows where they heard it from. I'm pretty interested in biochemistry anyway, though, and liberal arts annoy me so it worked out well. There's a lot of biochemistry in pharmacy, well in the mechanisms that medicines employ.
 
I am a Biochemistry / Molecular Biology major and have found that as such, I had absolutely very little to re-learn when taking the PCAT. Additionally, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have taken biochemistry as an undergraduate since you will be taking it in pharmacy school.