Which major?

SnowInVenice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I plan to go to the University of South Carolina. In addition to science and medicine, I have passions in technology.

I plan to either major in Integrated Information Technology or Computer Information Systems. Both are in the College of Computing and Engineers, but I am debating on whether or not to change majors.

I was accepted into the CIS major, but now I may want to major in IIT.

Pros and cons of CIS:
Pros: More prestigious than ITT (but less than CS), learn about business too
Cons: Requires a business minor, harder

Pros and cons of IIT:
Pros: Easier, more interested in the courses. Likelier to get higher grades for med school.
Cons: Requires 400 hours of internship (can be online), less valuable.

Please, take a look at both majors, which I linked to their program pages. Unlike other college students stressing over moving away or worried about friends, I am only stressed because I don't know what to do, haha.

Thanks, so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should major in what you think you'd enjoy more, personally I would pick CIS due to it being more valuable. The truth is most pre-meds probably never even apply to med school let alone get in. I think everyone should have a practical back up solution if med school doesn't work out. That's not to say don't try your hardest to get into med school, but you have to be realistic.

In summary: I don't think it will make a huge difference to adcoms, so I'd go with what you enjoy more as long as either would allow you to get a job if you don't get accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you truly are committed to going to medical school and can imagine doing nothing else pick the major that'll get you the best grades. If you have even the slightest notion you may want to do something else (which it sounds like you do) pick the major with the best backup plan.

So, I plan to go to the University of South Carolina. In addition to science and medicine, I have passions in technology.

I plan to either major in Integrated Information Technology or Computer Information Systems. Both are in the College of Computing and Engineers, but I am debating on whether or not to change majors.

I was accepted into the CIS major, but now I may want to major in IIT.

Pros and cons of CIS:
Pros: More prestigious than ITT (but less than CS), learn about business too
Cons: Requires a business minor, harder

Pros and cons of IIT:
Pros: Easier, more interested in the courses. Likelier to get higher grades for med school.
Cons: Requires 400 hours of internship (can be online), less valuable.

Please, take a look at both majors, which I linked to their program pages. Unlike other college students stressing over moving away or worried about friends, I am only stressed because I don't know what to do, haha.

Thanks, so much!
Major in what ever you like. Your major is for you, not for medical schools. However, there are some pros and cons with each major. For instance, humanity majors score better on CARS compared to science majors due to their ability to critically think.