Which materials???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gorgious82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've took DAT 2 times but didn't pass 20 except PAT. I did horroble especially on math and english. I've studied with Kaplan review notes, practiced with topscore, princeton review questions, and kaplan questions but those didn't help me much (I think..).
I want to restart all over again studying, which study materials do you guys recommend?
Please help me~ I'm planning to take the test again around June.

Members don't see this ad.

Before you retake the DAT a third time, how bad were your scores? If you made above a 20 on the PAT that can already set you apart from other applicants. Taking the DAT too many times can be very detrimental to your application, especially since the DAT can only be taken 3 times without special consideration.

hey if you have motivation to take it again. go for it. but if you are taking for the heck of it just hoping to be luckier, don't waste your money.

I really admire your persistence. Studying for it once is bad enough but three times is like woahhhh. good luck to you

Members don't see this ad :)
The materials that you used earlier is what most recommend here. You could try some of the exam kracker material, it is made for the mcat, but it might do you some good.

I just finished the orgo and bio sections using kaplan and topscore and I feel like I'm kind of ready for the real thing, i'm about to start gen chem. Make sure you don't just memorize the test subjects in kaplan, you must understand why the answer is wrong, and most importantly why the answers are right, I know it takes a lot of time and perseverance , but there is no easy way of studying for this exam, I already took it once and did horrible, so the second time I hope is my last!!!!!!!. scored 15 overall. Maybe you should try DAT achiever I hear is harder than the actual DAT's especially in the PAT section, I haven't tried yet because I'm waiting to be really ready to use Achiever. I'm planning to take the exam again end of july

Thanks to you all for encouraging me.
I know..it's very painful studying for DAT third time....grrrrrrr
But I really do want to go to dental school it was my dream since my childhood. Since I didn't pass 20, I will go to one more for my LAST.
So Kracker and achiever will help additionally right?
I'm suck in math...because I am very weak on word problems.
Thanks again to you all~ =)

I would recommend doing tons of practice for the reading comprehension section - using Kaplan as well as Medical journals. My reading is not that great either but using that practice really helped me. Also Kaplan for the PAT was good.
As for the rest of the sections I really think you should give Destroyer a try if you havent already. You've done the right things by starting with Kaplan and solidifying your background but if you're starting again you should really get into the Destroyer book. I had a very limited amount of time to study for the DAT and I got 19's across the board by first reading Kaplan and then really spending a ton of time focusing on Destroyer. If I had been able to put more time into it I think I could have hit the 20 mark...
Just my 2 cents...
Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Now you've decided you will take for the last time, I really wish you score high and make your dream come true!

Well the resources that i used that i truly felt had an impact on my scores is Destroyer for the sciences and math it hits it right on target, achiever for the PAT and topscore for the reading and math. If you truly know these texts i think you should do great on the test. Hope that helps

Dr. teeth gave some good advice- i agree.
bulk up on your reading and PAT with achiever.
since you already used kaplan, and built a good foundation in the sciences, you should deff use the Destroyer- the questions in there are very solid.

im very confident that if you give yourself some time to really go over your stuff youll do very well.
good luck!

I should go for destroyer yea? hehe
Thanks everybody here for the advice!! =)
May God Bless you all:love:

definitely listen to molar man drteeth...they know what they're talking about! use all the advice you can get...kaplan, top score, achiever, and definitely destroyer. give yourself a strict study schedule and enough time...you'll do fine! best of luck :)

Yup. I'll second the Exam Krackers. Nicer review than Kaplan's. The CDs are funny too.

I'm almost finished with Exam Krackers Bio book, it is far better than Kaplan's review. I'm currently getting my Master's in Anatomy/Bio and the book was great for info that I've had in my grad courses. It will prepare you very well! Don't memorize too many details, I've heard the DAT is harder since I've taken it, I'm planning on re-take this summer and I feel the books will help!

Good luck studying and it seems that Daiz and Molarman are on the mark, I think that after you have spent all that time building yourself a solid foundation in the sciences I think its time to test your knowledge. The best way I find to see where you are holding in terms of retention is the Destroyer. Make sure to spend a lot of time analyzing the questions because some of them can be tricky and spend even more time analyzing the explained answers section because its loaded with huge info that can serve as quick reminder to someone already familiar with all the material, as Im sure you already are.
Hope the third time's a charm, good luck