Which math unit conversions to know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which math unit conversions do we have to know?

Members don't see this ad.

Was just thinking about posting the same question...

these are the ones that i think are important..

2.54cm = 1 inch
3 feet= 1 yard
12inch = 1 foot
1760 yards = 1 mile
1 mile = 1.6 km

1kg = 1000 grams
1 kg = 35.27396 oz

feel free to add more if anybody thinks im missing a few

Reactions: 1 user
addition to that know how to convert gallons into ounce, and ounce into liter.

I had about three-four questions regarding unit conversion and I beleive

those problems are the one that I got wrong, since I randomly guessed

when I encoutered with unit conversion problems...:(

I'm not the OP, but thank you for the list! :)

Growing up learning the metric system, I still have tonnes of troubles with the English measurement even after years of living here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for incase..... but don't get too stressed.

you will hardly see those conversions on the real DAT.

However, know how to calculate with scientific notation.

What about Meters to Nano, mega, micro meters etc..?

The problems in the MATH DESTROYER gives you the conversions...is that just for practice?

Do they give you the conversions on the real DAT? I cant imagine that they wouldnt...if the destroyer does

Does anyone know?

They don't give **** on the exam. C'mon do you think anyone would get a conversion incorrect if they gave the darn formula?

These test makers are paid to screw you up on the exam. They are not doing you any favors.

So know all your conversions.

If you have been going over many problems like many in the past have, you come to notice that there are some that you plain out need to know. These include scientific notation, F->C->K (temp.), 2.54 cm=1 in, yds to ft, ft to mi, mi to km etc.

Don't be too stressed out if you can't memorize everything. For the most part, it will only be 1 or 2 questions and even then they do it in a way of a word problem where they give you the conversions and basically ask you to set up a conversion problem to get to the answer.

Oh yeah..

So they DO give you a dryerases board and marker correct?

What do they give you for an eraser? Is it easy to erase?

Each test center is different. Some centers have thinner/thicker markers than others. Some erasers are good. Some suck. Some centers are now implementing scrap paper instead of dry erase boards.

I would call your Prometric and ask.

IMO it's a bit unfair that everyone is not on an even playing field.

So QR killed me on the first time I took the DAT. The rest of my scores were 18 and 19s but in QR I got a 14 and now I'm retaking. I definitely would not underestimate QR. Its not the difficulty of the math its the time constraint that gets you. Know how to do multiplication, division, exponents, logs, trig function identities, special triangles, geometry, and conversions really fast in your head. Do so many problems it becomes second nature to you. Know exactly how to "attack" a problem and what kind of problem you are doing and realize how the "spin" it. I remember being so upset on my first DAT because I forgot to Celsius to Fahrenheit and Fahrenheit to Celsius equation *hint hint wink wink* and I didn't have time to derive it. Also know exactly how you will set up your sheet. This is the last section on the DAT and you might be drained by that point. For each section know exactly how to set up your sheet. I suggest at the top you have the first row for question numbers, second row for A, third for B, fourth for C, fifth for D and sixth for E so you can eliminate answers and when you mark a question, you already know what answers you eliminated. I also suggest you write formulas you had problems with in one of the corners. I take my second attempt at the DAT on Friday. I've been through Destroyer Math twice. Wish I had time to do it a third time. Best of luck to all of you!