Which Med school in Bangalore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

i have a sibling looking for mbbs in India. I came across KIMS and M.S. Ramiah in Bangalore... which should we choose? :confused:the agents are putting some hefty figures for both, with KIMS a bit cheaper. :(Can some one help with which is better, what are the prices you paid and how is the general quality? I hope to get answers from current students there.

Thanks to all

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am speaking form personnel experience. I went to Siddhartha Medical college in Tumkur, and I got the education I needed and that's about all I can say about that. I did my internship in St. Martha's Hospital in Bangalore and even got married to a guy from B'lore and now back in the States with my husband. If I could do it all over again I would do what most of the wanna-be doctors are doing- GO TO THE CARIBBEAN! I mean it. The schooling is about four years. and two of the years you do back in the states. Evrything is recognized. You don't have language issues, culture issues, nothing. And what more you do clinical rotations in US, and that's awesome for resumes for residency.

But if you are still adament on doing it in B'lore, this is the run down
1. More NRIs in Ramaya than KIMS
2. Education is good at both but distractions are more at Ramaya
3. Actually have a cousin doing his final MBBS at KIMS right now

Hope this helps you. At the end of it all, it's the will power and determination of the person. If he/she wants to be a doctor, it's a long hard road.

Rusja76

I agree!
I would even say, if you are in the USA then try your best for an american med school... remember the hardest part is getting in, and once you are in you are in!
Then next would come caribbeans cuz you only spend two years there and its closer to home.
Last would come India. In India you have to manage culture issues, food, language, way of teaching etc etc.
although I am satisfied with my indian medical education, my professors were excellent, but it was really touch to be in india for 5.5 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Rusja And Ocean....

But One Needs American Citizenship For The The Carrabian Rotations In The U.s. And So They Are Out Of The Question For Us. Anyways, I Would Like To Know How Much You Guys Paid For The Education. Is It Common To Ask For The Whole Tuition Fees At One Time From Students???

Also Particularly To Rusja...
What Distrations??
And Your Cousin In Kims, Please, Do You Know How Much He Paid And If All At Once?

And Oceanwaves...
Where Did You Study?

Thanks For Both Your Replies!
:)

Distractions, many.....
Like ocean said, happy with education, at the end of the day. BUt again probs are:
1. Language (unless you are a Kanadiga, then that's a diffferent story)- but you need to know it for clinical postings and dealing with patients, esp. during exams.
2. Food- again enitirely different, if you are not used to it
3. Relationships- I have seen my friends luck out and find their life partner, same religion, cast, state of India
But I have also seen friends' lives destroyed from moving around with the wrong people, even dated someone forever and finally dropping them and marrying whomever their parents want, or even classmates who married and now are getting divorce. WHen I think about what I would do if it was a child of mine, if I had one Now, I would want to make sure they were in touch with me and have a strong enough relationship to discuss anything and everything with me.
4. Party life- There is plenty, plenty of a night life and good times available in B'lore, but if your sibling does this in moderation and keep his/her priorities straight , then there Should be No problem.
5. Way of Study- If they studied in US, it's entirely different out there. You have to work very hard. Indian students are already used to studying night and day, esp in PUC, and science is a lot stronger for them if they took PCMB group. You have to get used to this intense studying, understand some thick accents from Proffessors during lectures, keep up with attendence b/c RGUHS demands I think it was 75-80%, And just plain make the Right friends so they can help you with notes and show you what and how to study. It's no cake walk.

I understand that caribbean is not an option, but what about Manipal, much more NRI friendly. Had lots of friends who went there and had a much easier time then me. I was forced to adjust, and not everyone do so easily but Manipal caters to NRIs.
Same with SRMC- in Madras.
Anyways, hope this helps.

thanks again rusja! I did thnik about Manipal but when I called they said that it depends on your marks... that last year they had around 800 applicants and were able to pick the "cream" of the highest scores. So it is a bit of a waiting game there, I think. In contrast other schools have said to look at the docs earlier to decide. Especiall if there are some agent/dealers inbetween.
Another point is that the problems you describe about being foreigners is more intense in Manipal. Apart from that there is a lot of mixed reviews about Manipal. that is why I am looking for more traditional schools.

thanks again

another question is why there are more NRI in Ramaya? Any particular reason? :confused:

Those problems you mentioned being more in Manipal, I would say its pretty even. On one hand you have a lot of NRIs in one town. but give them a big city like b'lore and its a world of fun. All these outside colleges come just to Bangalore to have a good time. So please don't be under that pretext. PLus pretty much every one of my friends who I knew in Manipal, and that's about like more than 20 peops, had their fun, passed in time, passed their USMLEs, and are either in Residency or done with it, so really you can't say that.
PLus even in b'lore you do have to have good grades in order to receive elgibility from the RGUHS unviersity and then from the Indian Medical Council,clearence . If your maths and science subjects are not good in high school (above 83 or 85%, depending), you will have a hard time to get these clearences. Theses colleges will happily take your money but it is your responsibility to get the paperwork. Otherwise you lose everything. And you won't be able to take you first year exams. And believe me, it's hell, the amount of running around you have to do.
The reason probably why Manipal said what they said is because they are themselves a university so they know their own requirements. I used to hear how easy it was for my friends to get their paperwork done. They even got to do an elective/clinical posting in the US for some 3 months during normal clinical postings. They even allow you to do your required internship for receiving your diploma after final MBBS, in the US. And that is the biggest plus point. For me I had trouble after I came back because I didn't have American clinical experience, but these guys could put it on their resume. So that was a huge bonus for them Not all colleges, including mine, allowed this. So I would say if you could get into Manipal, it's a lot better.

The owner of M.S. Ramaiah intended on building that college as big as he can, so he needed NRI money. SO he catered to the NRIs with translators during exams, etc. But KIMs is by far education std similiar to or just behind BMC-Bangalore Medical College. When I had final exams, the KIMs profs were always more strict and tough in comparison to Ramaiah. IT\t's like how my husband says, in Ramaiah you have a choice whether or not to study. But in KIMs, their is no choice. You HAVE to study!

ANd the other day I found this site of RGUHS preseent med students. MAybe it'll help you out.

http://thegunnybag.wordpress.com/2006/08/02/welcome-to-netmedico/

Damn! Why are you guys so desperate in buying your way to Med school. has med school become a prostitute that you are roaming with agents and going to one which gives you cheaper offer.

Seriously! if you cant even enter medical school on your own academic standard rather than paying that Rs.10-20 lakhs. How exactly do you plan to score that excellent USMLE score? I doubt it. If you are not a US Citizen than you are not an NRI. and so you can sit in All India Premedical Exam or Karnataka Medical Entrance Test like a brave man and what other students do in india. And then get a good score in it and enter medical school with that merit. If you are a good student and scored well you might even get a free seat. Or end up paying a very little donation. And if you are US permanent resident then be a man, take pre-med classes here apply for Med school and if you fail to get in, then ofcourse you can go to Carribean or India. but hey atleast you will have that feeling tat you tried. but this chicken attitude of buying your way in Medical School is disgusting. going to agents, discussing more abt money rather than education standards. What is this dude? medical school or some kind of Market.

Firstly, the minute they understand you are calling from outside they talk money. Next, NRIs aren't only US based Indians--- anybody who has an outside highschool diploma or whose parents are currently working outside India are classified as NRIs.

this is not about chickening out as you so quickly seem to judge. I just wanted to know what are the prices as some sound so high, that is all.

Plus there are zillions of people going to Romania, Hungary and other places that neither need no big money or grades, nor studying for that matter. (They don't even care if you know english or not) Many even reportedly pay to buy their grades! Ask them about the USMLES and stuff. So go bad mouth them first, then come back. I am just looking for a good school and the fee structure. And India is a big place-- get lost if you know no one, so there in comes the need for agents and contacts. I would rather not do with them but have to.

As for the MEd School market... ask the ones who run it (the countries above)...

Damn! Why are you guys so desperate in buying your way to Med school. has med school become a prostitute that you are roaming with agents and going to one which gives you cheaper offer.

Seriously! if you cant even enter medical school on your own academic standard rather than paying that Rs.10-20 lakhs. How exactly do you plan to score that excellent USMLE score? I doubt it. If you are not a US Citizen than you are not an NRI. and so you can sit in All India Premedical Exam or Karnataka Medical Entrance Test like a brave man and what other students do in india. And then get a good score in it and enter medical school with that merit. If you are a good student and scored well you might even get a free seat. Or end up paying a very little donation. And if you are US permanent resident then be a man, take pre-med classes here apply for Med school and if you fail to get in, then ofcourse you can go to Carribean or India. but hey atleast you will have that feeling tat you tried. but this chicken attitude of buying your way in Medical School is disgusting. going to agents, discussing more abt money rather than education standards. What is this dude? medical school or some kind of Market.

Mr Cool,
I don't know if you understand the way things work in India, but from my experience, it doesn't matter how many exams you take or how much time you waste- YOu Have to pay in India if you are a green card holder WITH a US Highschool diploma. And that's just the way it works. And about the MLEs. If you can get thro' 5 1/2-6 years of hardship, leaving the comforts of home, your family, just about averything you know, to conform to a new place and somehow get a decent medical education- you will work even harder to get thro' your MLEs. So I don't think it's fair for you to pass judgement.
And rs111, I wish when I was at that stage that i had a brother/sister willing to take the time and energy to do all this homework for me too. When you are an NRI in India, sometimes you do feel like you're a small fish in a pool of sharks. But to have family that understands what you're getting into from the get go, truly does help. My family had to learn the hard way. So hats off to ya.

Mr Cool,
I don't know if you understand the way things work in India, but from my experience, it doesn't matter how many exams you take or how much time you waste- YOu Have to pay in India if you are a green card holder WITH a US Highschool diploma. And that's just the way it works. And about the MLEs. If you can get thro' 5 1/2-6 years of hardship, leaving the comforts of home, your family, just about averything you know, to conform to a new place and somehow get a decent medical education- you will work even harder to get thro' your MLEs. So I don't think it's fair for you to pass judgement.
And rs111, I wish when I was at that stage that i had a brother/sister willing to take the time and energy to do all this homework for me too. When you are an NRI in India, sometimes you do feel like you're a small fish in a pool of sharks. But to have family that understands what you're getting into from the get go, truly does help. My family had to learn the hard way. So hats off to ya.

So you want to say me all indians pay Rs 30-40 lakhs to go to medical schools.

And if indians charge money for green card holders. then they do the right thing. why should you go there to study MBBS. Why dont you guys have guts to study MD here just as other americans do. What are you guys made from some different material or you guys think you are superior to everyone else and so you need to go to India.

If you think you can save time by going to india or it is awesome to start medical school right after high school. then why dont you guys write ACT like a good student and score above 28. and apply for 6yr BS/MD programs. there are many out there.

Its not abt money dear! its abt lazyness. basically you guys want to avoid the hard path. You guys just dont have it in you to struggle. You are americans or greencard holders. Learn to adopt to this country not just in hip hop and trendy clothes but also in education system also. you are not above the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, cool
Not all indians pay--- the ones in India do not but then they do go through a tough entrance exam and scores selection. For NRIs they have this thing to get money--- infact, if they know your parents profession is somethnig higher then they charge higher.

And why should one not go to India to study MBBS? There are so many Americans going to the Carribean/ Eastern European Countries/ Russia etc etc just to bypass the bachelors/ save time/ save money/ save working hard(as some of these places are really fishy). Some americans also told me that if they just get any MD degree from these questionable places (with not much work) and then just pass thru USMLES and get into residencies-- then they don't care/complain that they learnt anything or not. so you should be thinking about such persons.... not about the people who are trying to get into some place like India where the education is stricter/ tougher and serious. And if one is willing to pay the same amount for a low quality education--- then can you blame one for looking for places where the level is tough and good. IS this lazy or avoiding the hard path??? So your argument is baseless. You should be scanning forums of such places and preaching your messages there.

If it is something you have personally against NRIs, then this is not the forum to discuss such things. Let me tell you something-- life has its hardness for foreigners in alien countries--- simple things can take more weight. NRIs are not any better than others, sure there are some who flaunt their outside status (and I think your talk is more directed to such persons) but the truth is some simple things taken for granted in your own country of origin become ahrder outside- while others become easier. It is not just a matter of having a better financial status... I have lived and moved through nearly 10 countries in my short life, believe me, I have come to know what life can mean when one is outside. What I am trying to say is that it is not easy to go somewhere new, no matter where or for what. As for NRIs going to India is having to face certain prejudices like the one you are presenting and back in the States or whereever, they also face certain alienation. So you see they get the short end from both sides. Children grow up confused and with searching for identity-- but both parties reject them. This is not easy-- we are not above but we are stuck inbetween. And that is an undeniable fact.

I hope there has be no tone of offence here, just want to make these things clear. I cannot see why you have come in here to talk about all this hatred you have for NRIs.

So you want to say me all indians pay Rs 30-40 lakhs to go to medical schools.

And if indians charge money for green card holders. then they do the right thing. why should you go there to study MBBS. Why dont you guys have guts to study MD here just as other americans do. What are you guys made from some different material or you guys think you are superior to everyone else and so you need to go to India.

If you think you can save time by going to india or it is awesome to start medical school right after high school. then why dont you guys write ACT like a good student and score above 28. and apply for 6yr BS/MD programs. there are many out there.

Its not abt money dear! its abt lazyness. basically you guys want to avoid the hard path. You guys just dont have it in you to struggle. You are americans or greencard holders. Learn to adopt to this country not just in hip hop and trendy clothes but also in education system also. you are not above the others.

And why should one not go to India to study MBBS? There are so many Americans going to the Carribean/ Eastern European Countries/ Russia etc etc just to bypass the bachelors/ save time/ save money/ save working hard(as some of these places are really fishy). Some americans also told me that if they just get any MD degree from these questionable places (with not much work) and then just pass thru USMLES and get into residencies

Thats all i wanted to hear, Finally you accepted people run away from US med schools because they are afraid of working hard and i dont need to remind you what sort of admission standards exist in those countries. SO iam not gonna argue about that. And thats a proven statistics that a majority of them fill in usually the lower end programs. So basically you guys are average mediocore people.

My applogies i have bothered you and also discouraged you. Iam really sorry for that. Best of luck for your future plans. And may god bless you:thumbup: I will not be bothering you guys anymore. Once again i ask forgiveness. I heard what i wanted. thank you.

Nice of you to cut out just part of what I said. Clever, but my whole post is there for others to read. Yes, I am talking and admitting about the ones who go to those questionable places and not India. Admissions is one thing-- studying hard in the course and coming out knowing about stuff is another. If you are waiting to pull out just what YOU believe in, I can not make you see differently. Like I said I cannot see why all the hatred... and why in THIS thread....

Thats all i wanted to hear, Finally you accepted people run away from US med schools because they are afraid of working hard and i dont need to remind you what sort of admission standards exist in those countries. SO iam not gonna argue about that. And thats a proven statistics that a majority of them fill in usually the lower end programs. So basically you guys are average mediocore people.

My applogies i have bothered you and also discouraged you. Iam really sorry for that. Best of luck for your future plans. And may god bless you:thumbup: I will not be bothering you guys anymore. Once again i ask forgiveness. I heard what i wanted. thank you.

Seriously, it is no longer necessary to respond to such unitelligent remarks. Cool_VKB has NO CLUE what he is talking about. He's just raving for no reason at all and comepletely changing the dynamics of this thread/post. SO forget him!!!

I have said iam sorry and i will not bother you guys,then why are you still behind me. Carry on with your discussion.

Well, I have been personally burnt before and bad. Family ALWAYS learns the hard way... and then it still takes a lot of convincing from one's part to make them see. I don't know why they always automatically think its all their kid's fault and not something with the school itself????

Hi

My next question is when does the period for registration/ consideration of applicants start at these schools?

Which area of Bangalore is best to get an apartment in? What are the rents if anyone knows? What are best streets to be in/ go visiting?

when I took my transfer to B'lore for internship, I found a place thro' FreeADs (the local classifieds) in which a girl needed a roomie. It was in Fraiser Town. Nice place, close proximity to MG road, Brigade Rd, and esp Commercial Street (the best shopping area). It was a nice place to live, safe, clean, and pretty modern. Ramaya is near mallewswaram and Racecourse Road- also nice places to live. My cousin lives in Banshangri and then goes to KIMS. Most areas are good to live in, you just have to see if it has what you need around you, like places to eat, easy access to transportation (esp. Autos), shopping, not too loud a place so you can study, but like where I stayed there was a good young crowd around.

The good places to check out were the 3 streets I mentioned above plus Koramangala, 4th block, Lavelle Road, St. Marks Road, Residency Road. Most of these are right around each other. Only problem these days is the traffic is horrible with the large increase in population due to more job availability, so you might want to keep that in mind when you chose how far you want to live from the college. OK, gotta run, hope this helps.

Hey there

Does anyone know the average rent for a flat in Bangalore? And how are the amenities/ qualities to expect?

Thanks
RS

lol if you are smart, you would go to an american medical school. No offense folks the whole 5.5 year thing in india is a big deception. No one finishes their medical school in india on time, even if they do it always conflicts with american match periods etc; In addition trying to pass USMLE'S and realizing that you guyies will always be considered to be the last takers of good residency spots...you think it's all worth it?

Your priorities should be;

1. American Medical School
2. Caribbean
3. Any foreingn school

Go enjoy college man, you guyies are trying to choose professions that demand a great amount of sacrifice, you are just not ready for that right out of high school. Iam sure there are always exceptions but doesnt necessarily mean it will be you, hey dont let your parents or family dictate how your future should be shaped? A true professional does his homework and takes initiative for a plan that inculcates hardwork and dedication. Go to college, get your foundation strong then think about medical school.You saving 2 years on your studying will only hurt you realizing that your exposure to the real world will come faster...end of the day you have a good 40-50 years of service in the field of medicine. So if you go to india you might get a crack at 52 years...who cares? Grow up and go to college!

Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you my view seeing that I go to KIMS... I'm from Los Angeles and am in 3rd year now.
First off, dunno why someone said there are more americans at Ramaiya... thats not really true... I Have a lot of NRI friends at KIMS especially from the states... and I think that Ramaiya and KIMS are pretty similar in that respect cuz I have lots of american friends at Ram too.
I know you will take my opinion to be a little biased but hear me out... I think KIMS would be a better choice for your sibling because:
- My friends at Ram tell me that Teachers there are more discriminatory against NRI's
- Ram is far away from everything... And I dunno but bein from LA I like to have fun and not study like 24hrs a day... KIMS is more in the city so its easier to go out... cheaper on the transport too... Trust me this isn't a plus pt for Ram... when you are studying medicine you need a break sometimes... dunno why indian parents want to isolate their kids from everything but their books... or was that just my parents lol
- KIMS just had new a new campus built so thats always a plus but Ram campus is big and it is pretty nice as it is.. so not really a big deal
- I think from what I have heard that KIMS teachers are a lot nicer to students in terms of helping them out on questions or studying techniques... This again might have something to do with discrimination at ramaiya
- And yea i totally agree with the fact that at KIMS you gotta study... no doubt... the teachers make sure you do with regular tutorials and viva's where you are made to look and feel like a fool if you don't.
- Regarding renting an appt. if you are lookin at KIMS you should look for a place near Banashankri 2nd stage or Ghandi Bazar as these areas are close to college. dunno bout Ram
- price wise... dunno how the prices are today but i joined in 03... and i paid 52 lakhs..... so... should be somewhere around there...
If you have any more questions message me and ill try to help:thumbup:

Thanks! Good to find another student on KIMS, especially current.
Lemme just ask some info about Bangalore--
What are the rent prices I should be looking at for a decent 1bedroom flat? What kind of ammenities should I expect/ not expect?
How is the bank account system for NRI/ foreigners?
Which banks are better to have an account in?
What is there to do in Bangalore for fun? Like what are the favorite haunts of young people?
Which are the touristic sites I should look at in my first trip there (I am going ver soon)?
Which places to visit/avoid? Best malls etc. If I get my work done quick, then I would like to take a quick tour of the city and nearby, so please help!

Help most appreciated!

RS

Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you my view seeing that I go to KIMS... I'm from Los Angeles and am in 3rd year now.
First off, dunno why someone said there are more americans at Ramaiya... thats not really true... I Have a lot of NRI friends at KIMS especially from the states... and I think that Ramaiya and KIMS are pretty similar in that respect cuz I have lots of american friends at Ram too.
I know you will take my opinion to be a little biased but hear me out... I think KIMS would be a better choice for your sibling because:
- My friends at Ram tell me that Teachers there are more discriminatory against NRI's
- Ram is far away from everything... And I dunno but bein from LA I like to have fun and not study like 24hrs a day... KIMS is more in the city so its easier to go out... cheaper on the transport too... Trust me this isn't a plus pt for Ram... when you are studying medicine you need a break sometimes... dunno why indian parents want to isolate their kids from everything but their books... or was that just my parents lol
- KIMS just had new a new campus built so thats always a plus but Ram campus is big and it is pretty nice as it is.. so not really a big deal
- I think from what I have heard that KIMS teachers are a lot nicer to students in terms of helping them out on questions or studying techniques... This again might have something to do with discrimination at ramaiya
- And yea i totally agree with the fact that at KIMS you gotta study... no doubt... the teachers make sure you do with regular tutorials and viva's where you are made to look and feel like a fool if you don't.
- Regarding renting an appt. if you are lookin at KIMS you should look for a place near Banashankri 2nd stage or Ghandi Bazar as these areas are close to college. dunno bout Ram
- price wise... dunno how the prices are today but i joined in 03... and i paid 52 lakhs..... so... should be somewhere around there...
If you have any more questions message me and ill try to help:thumbup:

1)Banking
- Banking here for NRI's is pretty simple... An NRI can open 3 types of accounts here provided he has a valid visa... One account is a Fixed deposit Non resident account (fcnr) which holds foreign currency in it and is linked to a NRE account which holds Indian currency. Upon written request to the bank, money can be transferred from the FCNR account to the NRE account and the currency would be changed according to the prevailing rate of the day. The NRE account is solely linked to the FCNR account and no deposits can be made to it other than transefers from the FCNR. Another account is the NRO account which is in indian currency and both deposits and withdrawals can be made. This account would be used for Daily use... while the other two would be used for money exchange...
2) Specific Banks
The bank you choose is pretty much up to you.... Based on minimum balances and the facilities they give you you can make your own decision... I personally use UTI bank... its a smaller bank however... you may choose to go with ICICI or HDFC both being good banks... Basically you have to look at the convenience.... UTI bank is like a walk from my house so thats why I chose it...
3)Things to do for fun
Coming from America there isn't much that can really surprise us here... But Bangalore is a lot better than other less cosmopolitan areas... There are a few good malls and shopping areas like MG road, Commercial street, The forum mall, and Garuda mall.... so shopping and going to the mall isn't a big deal... theaters are also plenty.... Other than that... there are Basketball courts, bowling, restaraunts and clubs to go to... Nightlife is good for india but again its not really gonna surprise us seeing that we come from america... basically it depends on what the individual tastes of the person are... I remember when i came here... i was bored out of my mind... but then you get used to it and in the end its not how many places you go to but the company you are with to have fun... but yeah definitely dont expect to not miss home... haha...
4)Tourist sites
Haha... Dunno really what to tell you... I guess you could go to Tipu's point... its where tipu sultan had his palace... then there is Bhanarghata wild life park... umm... if you wanna see some cool buildings you can go to Vidhan Soudha and ITPL.... other than that its pretty much malls and stuff... but if you want you can check those out too... The forum mall, Garuda Mall, MG road, Brigade Road...

Btw rs... I was readying my post I meant 32 lakhs.... sorry i mistyped that... Its not 52... its 32 lakhs that I paid..... but I remember last year that prices were really high somewhere around 45 or something... but yeah I paid 32 lakhs....

Thanks, dggopal!

Another question i have is what is the NOC (no objection certificate)--- who issues it and for what use is it?

Rs

... and yeah, the rents? where to rent and how much to expect as rent?

Thanks in advance

RS

yeah rents all depend on where you go and what you are looking for... I mean if you want something on the main road then it will be a little pricier than something a little further away or whatever... but yeah one bedroom appt. rent for around Rs. 5000/ month for just a flat... if you want something in a community or with added facilities it will be a lot more... but its really hard to find a one decent one bedroom... I suggest you go for a two bedroom flat because the rent isn't that much more... You can easily find a nice place for around 7000/month if you look a little bit... and that way if family comes over then its not a problem... but yeah amenities... I mean I really dont know what you mean... car parking and stuff is usually available at most places... The place should have geysers already installed for hot water... ummm.... when you are looking for a place make sure it has enough closets built... umm... bathrooms... western style toilets can be found... whatelse... i dunno lemme know what you mean specifically and ill let you know...

Hey there, thanks for the info... I will try and put my questions in order this time:)

1) How to look for a flat?-- are there home agencies for student? Or private agencies? Any newspapers specific for homes to rent?

2) Wardrobes-- is it standard? or rare? How big would be an average priced 2br flat be? A/C? Fan?

3)Kitchen-- how are the kitchens? do they have cupboards fitted? Cooker/oven? Microwave? Anything? Gas pipes fitted or gas cylinders?

4)Bathroom-- are they all European type or they are rare? What about shower/bathtub?

Thanks for the help.

5) Furniture-- are there good furniture stores like IKEA which are affordable modern and good quality? Name of stores? Price ranges if you know?

6) Electronics-- i heard India has a lot local good electronics companies for TV, fridge etc. What is good and where to find?

Thanks, I know its a lot of questions....:)

RS

yeah rents all depend on where you go and what you are looking for... I mean if you want something on the main road then it will be a little pricier than something a little further away or whatever... but yeah one bedroom appt. rent for around Rs. 5000/ month for just a flat... if you want something in a community or with added facilities it will be a lot more... but its really hard to find a one decent one bedroom... I suggest you go for a two bedroom flat because the rent isn't that much more... You can easily find a nice place for around 7000/month if you look a little bit... and that way if family comes over then its not a problem... but yeah amenities... I mean I really dont know what you mean... car parking and stuff is usually available at most places... The place should have geysers already installed for hot water... ummm.... when you are looking for a place make sure it has enough closets built... umm... bathrooms... western style toilets can be found... whatelse... i dunno lemme know what you mean specifically and ill let you know...

DO NOT GO TO INDIA!!!!!!!

i went to ramaiah. good school and all. but go to america if possible. once u go abroad, u can kiss dermatology, ortho, ophthalmology, etc good bye. there is no advantage to saving 2 years. u risk losing way more if u go abroad. plus u have to take time off for the usmle.

i heard certain schools in the carribean r better than others. also consider poland and east europe over india. every nri who went to poland loved it.

my advice is do college. apply in the us. if u dont get it, go to the carribean or east europe. avoid india at all costs. forget it ever existed. trust me on this one.

also what is the great advantage in saving 2 years. what if u like derm or want a good IM program so u can do cardio? this is way more important. u can save 2 years and make 100,000$ a year as a GP or lose 2 years yet make 500,000$ as a cardiologist. think long term!! also u may end up doing ur residency in some crappy inner city or in a trailer park in alabama. ur choices r limited.

i matched into psych yet i had to spend so much $$ doing externships and went to 49 interviews. this end up costing a lot. also i ended up losing so much more time and now am 31. if i went to the 7 year program i got into in california i would have been done with residency. whatever u do DO NOT GO TO INDIA!!!!! THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN YOUR LIFE!!!! i am not even gonna go into the non-academic reasons why not to go to india.

if your parents r pressuring u, reason with them. tell them u will do it in the US. they probably dont want u to end up copulating with non-indians, etc. this is not important. it is better to be a dermatologist slut/player than some disgruntled GP.

also look into ireland, etc. there r much better options. go to your local kaplan and talk to some IMGs. look at all the work they got to do for the USMLEs. ur carreer will suffer for the rest of your life just save 2 years. is it worth it. also factor in the time u have to spend for the usmles. in the long run u will earn more and be happier in the us. it is worth the risk. if u dont get in, go for DO or the carribean or east europe or ireland. avoid india like the plague.

Just wanna give my take on the whole situation....currently at ramaya right now in second year. Im from california as well, like dggopal. Personally, as far as ways to get into a high power residency..there are other ways, such as doing IM for 2 years and then applying for a speciality or something. India isnt all bad and the clinical experience can be quite good. Plus you get to see a lot of cases you wouldnt see anywhere else. It helps if you have parents that are already doctors and that know a lot of people...my dad says he will take care of everything and just that i should score as high as possible in the USMLE, so im not particularly worried. Im straight kannadiga, so no language or culture issues for me...some days i actually like india better than home, go figure, lol. Lot more close friends in india than back in the states. Main fact right now is getting through school and finishing up the USMLE. Yeah im prolly going to take time off as well (like 6 months or something) but i will be starting to study for the exam soon. I live in dollars colony about like l/2 km from college...in a house that costs 18,000 rs a month. Yeah i know, expensive..but the owners are good people and help out a lot with everything. I have a scoot, so i just commute to college every day. hey rusja76, whats up with most of the girls at the bang colleges and their attitudes, lol :confused:

Hey how is the ragging scene in Bangalore. I heard Hyderabad Medical colleges are very infamous for ragging. Especially if you are a NRI. how is it in bangalore.

below are some articles which you might wanna read before venturing for india. ragging is pretty deep man in india especially for NRIs. since US education has no concept of ragging. so we have no idea about it when we go to first day of class.

http://www.pucl.org/reports/Karnataka/ragging.htm

http://www.hindu.com/2007/02/23/stories/2007022307070400.htm

http://www.stopragging.org/

http://www.manipal.edu/mmmc/forstudents/ragging.htm

Hey how is the ragging scene in Bangalore. I heard Hyderabad Medical colleges are very infamous for ragging. Especially if you are a NRI. how is it in bangalore.

below are some articles which you might wanna read before venturing for india. ragging is pretty deep man in india especially for NRIs. since US education has no concept of ragging. so we have no idea about it when we go to first day of class.

its not that bad for NRI's..most dont even get it. I knew some seniors off the bat or within a few weeks so i didnt get it much. I know others in the hostel that got a lot though. Now all the rules are strict.

Just wanna give my take on the whole situation....currently at ramaya right now in second year. Im from california as well, like dggopal. Personally, as far as ways to get into a high power residency..there are other ways, such as doing IM for 2 years and then applying for a speciality or something. India isnt all bad and the clinical experience can be quite good. Plus you get to see a lot of cases you wouldnt see anywhere else. It helps if you have parents that are already doctors and that know a lot of people...my dad says he will take care of everything and just that i should score as high as possible in the USMLE, so im not particularly worried. Im straight kannadiga, so no language or culture issues for me...some days i actually like india better than home, go figure, lol. Lot more close friends in india than back in the states. Main fact right now is getting through school and finishing up the USMLE. Yeah im prolly going to take time off as well (like 6 months or something) but i will be starting to study for the exam soon. I live in dollars colony about like l/2 km from college...in a house that costs 18,000 rs a month. Yeah i know, expensive..but the owners are good people and help out a lot with everything. I have a scoot, so i just commute to college every day. hey rusja76, whats up with most of the girls at the bang colleges and their attitudes, lol :confused:

connections may help a little but us is not like india. no way they r gonna give u a seat over a us grad with equal creds. u may like blore but u will not like brooklyn nor mobile.

right now i am in poland. i feel eastern europe (except for getting into cali) is better. i am not even gonna discuss the girl situation in india. be happy u have ur right hand is what i got to say. however blore has improved from my days. atleast u got a pizza hut on bel road. however less NRIs in india. however in east europe the girl situation is much better. i have many friends here and they have converted my buddies who went to med school in india to east european women.

anyhow my advice is stay in america. this is the safest and best way. forget about taking short cuts. short cuts r for auto richshaw drivers, not doctors.

ragging is not so bad for nris. bigger problems r not getting matched and lifestyle for 5 years. also ending up in crime infested inner cities or one horse towns for residency. also be prepared to do FP. with uk shutting down it will get more competetive. b4 going to india talk to current imgs who finished. the golden age of medicine in america is over. dont talk to people who matched more than a couple years ago for advice. they r clueless.

i was lucky. most are not. why take a chance. go to america. most indians r dying to go to us colleges. it is almost borderline idiotic to go to india in my opinion. yes i just self-incriminated myself. however u can not deny pure logic dictates u try for a us med school. if u remove the 2 years saved then where is the advantage???????? this is assuming u pass ur boards while in school which is not possible unless ur brilliant and hard working. even then. the curriculum is way different. u spend more time on leprosy than schtizophrenia. why is it so important for u to be a doogie howser??? what is the hurry?? more like doogie hoswerappa. 26 is not old to start residency. if cash is a concern get a high paying speciality u would not be able to get as an IMg. only reason to go to foreign school is if it is impossible to get into med school because of ur grades and all. then u can go to eastern europe.

Hey there, thanks for the info... I will try and put my questions in order this time:)

1) How to look for a flat?-- are there home agencies for student? Or private agencies? Any newspapers specific for homes to rent?

2) Wardrobes-- is it standard? or rare? How big would be an average priced 2br flat be? A/C? Fan?

3)Kitchen-- how are the kitchens? do they have cupboards fitted? Cooker/oven? Microwave? Anything? Gas pipes fitted or gas cylinders?

4)Bathroom-- are they all European type or they are rare? What about shower/bathtub?

Thanks for the help.

5) Furniture-- are there good furniture stores like IKEA which are affordable modern and good quality? Name of stores? Price ranges if you know?

6) Electronics-- i heard India has a lot local good electronics companies for TV, fridge etc. What is good and where to find?

Thanks, I know its a lot of questions....:)

RS

K... sorry it took so long... haha... I had exams goin on... but yes... It fairly easy finding a flat here... there are real estate agents shops on every other corner... not to mention ads in the paper etc... not very hard at all.... once you get here you will kinda get the jist of how to go about things...

Wardrobes: Yeah wardrobes are pretty standard.... I mean they may not be in every room but a 2bhk should at least have one... and if not then you can go buy an almirah so its fine... Price is variable based on location... but I think its safe to say you can find a decent flat for around 10 grand... One with wardrobes in every room, western bathrooms, and fans in every room... Fans are pretty standard and its pretty easy to find a place wit western bathrooms... if you want an a/c you can ask the landlord if you can install one urself but I dont think you will need one in BLR... its nott that bad... i doubt you will find a decently priced flat with one preinstalled though...

Kitchens... Ummm... you will have cupboards preinstalled... but ovens etc are not standard.... You will have to go out and get cylinders... I have a contract with a company that basically comes out and gives me a new cylinder whenever I need one.... Landlords will usually help you out with this... Umm... yeah if you want a microwave or something you gotta go out and buy it...

Bathrooms... As i said places aren't hard to find that have a western bathroom... um tubs are rare... but you will have a shower... most people here are still takin bucket baths... but yeah Showers are standard... The geyser(for hot water) should be preinstalled too....

Furniture... Furniture shops are plenty here... Dunno bout IKEA... but ummm you wont have too much trouble with furniture... there are ample local furniture places that you can buy affordable and sturdy stuff from... Again once you get here you will kinda get an idea of things yourself... Again you can ask the landlord... But yeah prices vary on what you want and what stores you go to... A general area for furniture is Shivajinagar... its near MG road... there is an area there just for furniture and they will deliver to your house... just tell the auto drivers to take you there...

Electronics... Umm i dunno bout indian brands for electronics... Now a days there are plenty of showrooms that have all the major brands so you can just go there and get what you want... but yeah for my tv i got a philips tv for around 8 grand... umm... an LG fridge for about 8 grand... yeah... I mean all the prices are pretty much similar unless you are looking for sony or something which is overpriced here... but yeah fridge and tv should cost you around 8 grand each... brands for tv are philips, sansui... they are all pretty much similar... but I would suggest you go with a branded one cuz you get garuntees of quality and warranty so if anything goes wrong its not a problem... Again there are plenty of shops everywhere you can purchase these goods from... once you get here...

Hope this helped... Any other questions just lemme know...

K... sorry it took so long... haha... I had exams goin on... but yes... It fairly easy finding a flat here... there are real estate agents shops on every other corner... not to mention ads in the paper etc... not very hard at all.... once you get here you will kinda get the jist of how to go about things...

Wardrobes: Yeah wardrobes are pretty standard.... I mean they may not be in every room but a 2bhk should at least have one... and if not then you can go buy an almirah so its fine... Price is variable based on location... but I think its safe to say you can find a decent flat for around 10 grand... One with wardrobes in every room, western bathrooms, and fans in every room... Fans are pretty standard and its pretty easy to find a place wit western bathrooms... if you want an a/c you can ask the landlord if you can install one urself but I dont think you will need one in BLR... its nott that bad... i doubt you will find a decently priced flat with one preinstalled though...

Kitchens... Ummm... you will have cupboards preinstalled... but ovens etc are not standard.... You will have to go out and get cylinders... I have a contract with a company that basically comes out and gives me a new cylinder whenever I need one.... Landlords will usually help you out with this... Umm... yeah if you want a microwave or something you gotta go out and buy it...

Bathrooms... As i said places aren't hard to find that have a western bathroom... um tubs are rare... but you will have a shower... most people here are still takin bucket baths... but yeah Showers are standard... The geyser(for hot water) should be preinstalled too....

Furniture... Furniture shops are plenty here... Dunno bout IKEA... but ummm you wont have too much trouble with furniture... there are ample local furniture places that you can buy affordable and sturdy stuff from... Again once you get here you will kinda get an idea of things yourself... Again you can ask the landlord... But yeah prices vary on what you want and what stores you go to... A general area for furniture is Shivajinagar... its near MG road... there is an area there just for furniture and they will deliver to your house... just tell the auto drivers to take you there...

Electronics... Umm i dunno bout indian brands for electronics... Now a days there are plenty of showrooms that have all the major brands so you can just go there and get what you want... but yeah for my tv i got a philips tv for around 8 grand... umm... an LG fridge for about 8 grand... yeah... I mean all the prices are pretty much similar unless you are looking for sony or something which is overpriced here... but yeah fridge and tv should cost you around 8 grand each... brands for tv are philips, sansui... they are all pretty much similar... but I would suggest you go with a branded one cuz you get garuntees of quality and warranty so if anything goes wrong its not a problem... Again there are plenty of shops everywhere you can purchase these goods from... once you get here...

Hope this helped... Any other questions just lemme know...

hehehehe i have a tub and a shower (with hand shower) in my house :D

first of all connections do help in the us but they will not get u an ortho residency. they may bump u up a few spots on the rank list. also u r limited to a certain number of years as a resident as they federally funded. doing 2 years of IM and switching is not possible nor logical. IM residency is hell for those who like other fields. why not just stay in the us? if u cant for visa reasons i recommend europe. it is more fun than india and u can experience a better life. i have done med school in india and met many imgs during my 49 intervies. i have even stayed in a med school dorm in poland where there many other desi nris. my conclusion is that india is the WORST of all options (not including north korea and iraq.)

also bangalore night life is not so good as last call is at 11:30. with the pune rave busted this may happend in blore. if in blore go to goa as often as possible. goa is paradise.

also it may be possible to get a competetive residency as an IMG but this unlikely and if u go to india u should be prepared to do a speciality u do not like for the rest of your life. be prepared to do residency in a ghetto or one horse town. with india + residency this equals 10 years of ur life. also i feel it is expensive to go to india taking into account lost earnings and all. if u want the desi experience take a year off and volunteer. if all this is not acceptable dont go to india. going to india u will realize is the most illogical thing and u will later on be in shock at how such an asinine idea even entered ur head. if ur parents forced u into this, u will hate them and possibly ruin ur relationship with them (also u wont see them much.)

DO NOT GO TO INDIA!!

Dear Lord Man... SGA man give it a rest man... seems like you got nothing better to do than post Anti- Indian medschool posts on this form... I mean I understand ur point of view... but every thread on here has a post by you saying the same thing over and over again.... I'm sure people see ur point... U don't have to post it a thousand times...

i have stopped repeating myself. i just started coming here and was shocked at why people still want to try to run a marathon after shooting themselves in the foot. i still want to know why people talk of going to india although logic dictates otherwise.

also i dont think in the long run it makes too much difference which indian med school u go to. lol, perhaps choose the one with an easier to pronounced name as the diploma would look better in your office. maybe go to the cheaper one. but whatever u do, go there and talk to current NRI students and recent grads. also look at the pass rates and how long the students took. giving this advice gives me a bad aftertaste though. almost like telling someone which building to jump off.

bangalore is probably one of the more livable cities in india though. however i was there recently and it seems way more congested and all. steer clear of the hostels. get a nice house or apt with an AC. also get a car and also get a maid and all. however i recomend the carribean or east europe. if i were u i would keep an open mind and perhaps visit med schools in these places as well. those places r 4 years versus india's 5.5 years. also many of the carribean schools prep u for the usmle which in effect save u the time for studying for them. look at the big picture. dont look at which place has better dosas.

from the sound of it, it seems u have lived in india before. why not try something new?

Hi there
this is to Rusja and dggopal.... please read your PMs and reply as fast as possible.

rs