which med school to get derm residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given a chance to choose, which med school would make it the easiest for me to get a dermatology residency?

Georgetown
U of F

If your answer is that all three are sufficient, then what would I need to do in order to get a dermatology residency? A good one?

Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that they all do -- provided you look on their websites under residencies. I'm just wondering in terms of the high level of competition for derm res., if there would be a best school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The national reputation of these schools does not differ enough to make a difference in Derm applications.Other variables such as grades,scores,research,contacts will matter much more.It might be that one of them has a residency program which is very partial to taking their own students over others. If thats the case I would choose that school,as your best bet is always to try to match in your own institution.I think that competition for Derm would be slightly less in the Wisconsin schools as the New York area has many med schools and competitive applicants who want to stay there.

I just came back fron the American Academy of Derm annual meeting.The chairman of Medical College of Wisconsin derm seems to be well known in the field and delivered a key address at the convention.Research was presented by one of their residents and another resident(or faculty?)received a major award in Derm.I'd look at this school very closely if Derm interests you,although I cant say how much all this will help a medical student applying for the specialty.

That is very good information to know, kind of something you can really only get on the inside (or by going to a conference). Thanks.