Which Medical School for Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateKiss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently choosing which school I should attend in 2006. I was wondering which of the following schools would set me up best for derm. I realize that my success will depend on my performance in med school rather than the med school I choose, but I also know that connections are extremely important, so I want to put myself in the best location to make those connections.

I also realize that these are all top programs, but I'm not sure which would be the best choice specifically to optimize my chances of matching in a competitive specialty like derm.

These are the schools:
1. Yale
2. U Penn
3. Wash U
4. U Mich

Thank you so much for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow...you got accepted into all those???

To be honest, I don't think it'll matter which one you get into. If the school has a home derm department and you continue your hard work, I'm sure you'll get into a derm residency somewhere!!

ChocolateKiss said:
Hello,

I am currently choosing which school I should attend in 2006. I was wondering which of the following schools would set me up best for derm. I realize that my success will depend on my performance in med school rather than the med school I choose, but I also know that connections are extremely important, so I want to put myself in the best location to make those connections.

I also realize that these are all top programs, but I'm not sure which would be the best choice specifically to optimize my chances of matching in a competitive specialty like derm.

These are the schools:
1. Yale
2. U Penn
3. Wash U
4. U Mich

Yale,Penn,Michigan have the most well known Derm programs.Wont matter much between these places.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChocolateKiss said:
Hello,

These are the schools:
1. Yale
2. U Penn
3. Wash U
4. U Mich

All have strong, very strong derm programs, with UPenn at tops (I'd say the other three are tied).

You're most likely to get into a home derm residency program at Michigan, as I hear they took 4 of their own this year for the 6 available spots. All schools have great derm faculty that will serve as valuable contacts in the future. But outside of home programs, Penn matched the most this year at 5 or 6, mostly into very competitive programs. Of course, this kind of thing changes every year. Check out the dermatology matches at http://www.dermboard.com/docs/dermlinks.htm.

Remember, it really does depend on your individual performance. You'll do great, from looking at your acceptance list. Wowsa.

Would agree with other posters that all of the schools mentioned would, all other things being equal, be able to lead to a Derm residency. My personal picks would be Yale or UPenn, but other schools are also excellent.

Michigan consistently has the most spots available per year and usually takes at least half from among their own. Great faculty and super well respected program (similar to the others). Also, from the schools listed, I would *assume* that the student body at Michigan might be a little easier to do well among. Yale and penn kids might pose more of an obstacle as far as getting the honors in classes. Just a thought. Best of luck.

pseudoknot said:
True, you'd have a hell of a time trying to get honors at Yale :laugh:

HAHAHA. They do have H/HP/P/F for clinical grades, I believe, so you still have to do the competition at some point.

I hate that system with a passion :)

How is H/HP/P/F any different from A/B/C/D? hahaha

Even H/P/F is better!!

Michigan took one of their research fellows this year too, so it was 5/6 internal. Like the above poster said, they normally take 1/2 of their derm class from U of M. Their students also interviewed well this year and they matched something like 7 of 10 applicants into derm. Yale has matched students well in the past 4 years (something like 90% of their applicants match.. whether they weed out those who would not match and force them to apply in something else, I don't know...). U Penn tends to be research heavy, most of the students they matched into their program are MD/PhDs

Don't know anything about the others...
good luck!

I'm an M3 at Michigan. The derm dep't here rocks--one of the best in the world. The faculty are super cool and very supportive of any students who demonstrate an interest in the field. Plus they LOVE Michigan grads, as evidenced by the fact that every year 3-4 Michigan grads match into the derm program here. The education here is outstanding in so many respects, and the school itself is a wonderful place for smart folks who work hard but are laidback and noncompetitive.