Medical Which medical specialty will allow me to have the most free time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking this question. I’m a third year almost done with rotations. I will confess, I did not come to medical school to answer any calling. I came mostly for prestige and the promise of financial gain. And a bit of pressure from family.

I hated my first two years and I hate third year as well. I do not like the science. I do not like the clinic either. I just know how to do well on exams and I guess I’m a little smarter than the average person. And I’m willing to put work in if I have to. So I can get by doing something I hate, with some effort.

But now? Being more mature and realizing I’m trapped (graduating with 300k+ debt), I’m severely anxious about my future. There is a lot I want to do outside of medicine. And even if I didn’t, I might even want time to lie down on the couch and be a potato for a week. I feel with medicine however, that is impossible. I don’t like thinking about complex things or solving medical problems. I find it very stressful. However, since I am trapped, I have to do this for X number of years.

That being the case I would like to do something that requires little time, little effort. I deluded myself into thinking that being a physician would be an amazing thing (due to family pressure and maybe media/culture?). I didn’t think I’d hate it this much.

What specialty can I go into that will allow for maximal free time? Which specialty has the least time commitment overall? My ideal future would be to work a decade or so to pray off my debt and then maybe just do a part time job to keep food in the table.

Also, please note, I feel severe guilt for taking up someone’s seat who would have and could have been an amazing doctor. I am sorry for this. I thought I was doing the right thing for myself, but I wasn’t.
I am so sorry to hear this.
I can't imagine what this must be like.
My first thought is to ask if you have experience in Emergency Medicine. For all the reasons that I think it's not a good specialty for many folks, it might be the closest thing to what you are looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for this. And thanks for not bashing me. I feel extremely guilty about all this and get a lot of heat for it. As for emergency medicine, it is on my radar. But we don’t rotate in it until later and I am not sure if I’d be able to deal with the acute and sudden nature of the problems. Do you think psychiatry would be a viable option?
Although the residency in psych is reputed to be "easier," the practice can be quite emotionally draining and these patients are particularly vulnerable. If you don't love them (and the specialty) when you start, you will surely become bitter before long.

Gyngyn

Members don't see this ad :)
1. EM - Assuming you can "take the heat and stay in the kitchen". Not a "lifestyle" specialty per se, but it pays well for the amount of training and hours put in and you can have a pretty good income working 10-12 shifts a month.
2. Psych - You can pretty easily create a "lifestyle" type practice in psych. But you definitely have to like the material.
3. FM - Busy residency but it's only 3 years. After that you can do concierge medicine, urgent care, set up a medispa, lots of options outside the typical PCP practice.
4. Derm - If you've got the stats for it, this is your ticket to happiness. You probably don't have the stats for it though. The vast majority of us don't.

Clinical trials management is pretty lucrative. I'd definitely suggest you review the "alternate careers" for MD's, and let it guide you towards a direction. You may not become chief medical officer for a pharma company right after graduation, but you could build your resume towards that end if it interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.