Which micro/immuno/BS book 4 STEP1 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desdinova

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetingz everyone!

I am an IMG (grad this year) from Europe and I wish to give USMLE a try , planning to sit Step1 in dec/jan. Currently I'm putting together list of books to use during preparations. I am pretty sure regarding most of positions on that list:

FA 2007
PATHO -> Rapid Review Patho
PHYSIO -> BRS 2007
BEHAVIORAL -> HY or BRS?
BIOCHEM -> Kaplan(?) or only FA (depends on time available)
Other subjects (neuroanat,anatomy,embryo,cell) -> HY

I am not sure about pharm (although my preference is towards Katzung Board Review rather than Lippincott) and micro. The problem with micro is of :technical nature" ;) There are 2 books by Levinson:

1) Review of Medical Microbiology & Immunology 9e Levinson W.
and
2)Medical Microbiology & Immunology: Examination & Board Review. 8e

They have similar number of pages , price , contents and both are described as USMLE-dedicated. Unfortunately I don't have opportunity to compare them myself (not avail in local bookstore) so I'd be thankfull if someone would be so kind to tell the difference between 'em. (BTW , I have "Medical Microbiology & Immunology: Examination & Board Review. 8e" in electronic format so the main issue is whether to but the other one or print Examination and Board Review). Oh , if You could also tell me if going through Levinson is superior to.. 4 example using CMMRS? I have to mention that last time I had contact with micro was about 3y ago.

Finally , I have some doubts about Behav Science - is it really SO important to read any of books by B.Fadem? I mean isn't Kaplan notes enough? If it is not enough ,shall I choose BRS or HY then?

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice and sorry 4 my english.
Take care :)

Members don't see this ad.