Sounds like you're just starting out. I've been researching funds now for about 5 years as a hobby, so I think I know a little bit, but I'm certainly no expert. I hope this is either for a 403(b)/401(k) or a Roth IRA if you qualify. I would definitely go with no-load index funds if you're new to this. I'd check out T.Row, Vanguard, and Fidelity among others. Last I checked Fidelity had the cheapest index funds for those with at least $10,000 to invest (expense ratio of 0.1), and Vanguard was next (many of their index funds require at least $3000, I believe). Depending on who you go with and your tolerance for risk and time horizon, you could pretty easily put together something reasonable - 100% in a total stock market index fund if you're more aggressive, an 80/20 mix between a total stock market fund an a bond fund if you're more conservative, or a target date fund composed of index funds for one-stop shopping - just make sure the expense ratio for a target date fund is reasonable - some of them definitely are not.