Which NBME should I purchase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVBane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a little under 2 weeks to go before I take Step 1, and would like to take at least 2-3 practice exams, I already completed both UWorld Sims and the USMLE Free 120.

I was hoping for some advice as to which NBME Forms I should buy that will give me practice and a good predictor of my score.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

NBME 10 had the best predictive value for me.
Quite the hilarious troll you are...

NBME's 13 and 15 are older and some people would say they are a bit dated with the questions that they ask. They seemed to be more fact based first or second order questions. NBME's 17-19 are the newest ones and are probably the most like the current exam. I took 18 on Friday and it was less first order and more of a thinking exam that you could work through. I'd say do 17-19 if you have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of predictive value for me:

18 >> 16 > 13 = 15 > 19 >> 17. I'd still probably recommend buying the most recent three or four.

I also took UWorld 2 and that was the closest to my real score of all.

I should also note that my Step score was 15-20 points higher than my NBME average.

For me, I felt like NBME 18 was really good. I ended up doing NBME 19, but kinda regret it. If I were in your shoes I'd do NBME 16, 17, and 18.