Which NBME tests to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

May3Exam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already took NBME #1 and am planning on taking one more before my test. I want to take it 5 days before the real thing. Any advice on whether I should be taking NBME # 2,3, or 4? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i gave form3, 8 days bfore real one, got 232
got score yesturday; 249(99)
so its sure form3 is not advisable

by the way its better to take both form 1 and 2

what were your scores on other forms. were they closer to your 249

Members don't see this ad :)
That is interesting. I heard Form 1 is the easiest. Form 4 is obscure and Forms 2 & 3 are closer to the real thing.

For those of you who have taken Step I, what do you think?

I took forms 1, 2, and 3. I got a 234 on form 1 approx 6 weeks out, a 238 on Form 2 about 4 weeks out and a 258 on form 3 5 days prior to the exam. I got a 251 on the real thing and the NBME's say on the bottom of the score report that you should do within 10 points either way on the real thing. It was true in my case and I think that 3 was the most representative although they are all different. I have the same exact strengths and weaknesses on all 3 so it will tell you where you are weak pretty accurately. Take all if you have time- it couldn't hurt.... Just my opinion.

I took forms 1, 2, and 3. I got a 234 on form 1 approx 6 weeks out, a 238 on Form 2 about 4 weeks out and a 258 on form 3 5 days prior to the exam. I got a 251 on the NBME's and they say that you should do within 10 points either way on the real thing if you read the bottom of the score report. It was true in my case and I think that 3 was the most representative although they are all different. I have the same exact strengths and weaknesses on all 3 so it will tell you where you are weak pretty accurately. Take all if you have time- it couldn't hurt.... Just my opinion.

That's an amazing score on #3...I took form 1 6 weeks before and got a 228, but I'll be thrilled if I get within 10 points of you. Hell, I'd be satisfied with 230.