Which of the following, if true, most weakens the author’s point...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

750hp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I always seem to have trouble with these types of question in verbal, does anyone have any tips for these? Also sometimes the questions that ask what the author's tone is kind of throws me off. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My best advice: close your eyes, point to the screen, open your eyes, pick the answer you are pointing to. This is the #1 verbal strategy used by all people who get >14 on their verbal section. Don't tell anyone I told you, its secret among us MCAT wizards ;)

lol so you say i should guess? do the answers in those type of questions have to be true/tie into the main idea or no?

Hello everyone, I always seem to have trouble with these types of question in verbal, does anyone have any tips for these? Also sometimes the questions that ask what the author's tone is kind of throws me off. Thanks in advance.

1) Figure out the author's relevant point
2) Go through each answer choice and put it next to the author's point in your mind. Does the answer choice strengthen it or clearly have no impact on the author's argument/view? Cross it off.

You're probably left with two answers now hopefully, and so you've got a 50/50 shot at worst. Try to pick the answer that sounds the least bad, and for which you can make a quick rationalization of why it would weaken the author's point.

That question is exactly the same thing as a PS question that asks:

"Which of the following does not influence the velocity of a particle moving through an electric field?"

-Radius of curvature
-Field Strength
-Charge
-Skrillex

Well, as much as he wants to, Skrill does not in fact influence the velocity of a particle moving through electric fields.

It's the same kind of question in that some of the things have to do with what the author is saying some agree with the POV and others don't.

Be a huge ass when answering these questions. You know everything. You have a huge ego.

Why is this option wrong? Because the person who suggested it is probably the distant cousin of a mofoing DINGBAT.

Seriously. Be really harsh. Wicked harsh (if you're from boston).