Which of you are in the dos commas club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably should get paid more working that much. I see no problem here.

Reactions: 2 users
Every group has one.

One guy in my group takes call for 5 people. He's def in the dos commas club.

Also great reference to silicon valley.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
kind of like watching a meteor burn out....

I also immediately thought Silicon Valley.

And for me, not worth it :) kinda like getting the booby prize at summer camp for most elaborate basket weave while everybody else was off rock climbing and water skiing.

kind of like watching a meteor burn out....

He’s been at it quite a while and he has a 2nd job 😂. It’s a slow burn.

“It’s not Namagerdy’s only gig. Certified in both critical care and anesthesiology, he also works part-time as a critical care doctor at UCI-Health Fountain Valley, a community hospital in Orange County. A hospital spokesperson said Namagerdy was working an average of six 12-hour shifts per month as of last fall.“

“Last year, Namagerdy earned $467,000 for his regular 40-hour work week and nearly $800,000 for hours put in as a registry physician. That amounts to an average of 54 additional hours per week.

In 2022, he earned an extra $906,000 for working an average of 61 additional hours per week on top of his regular salary. In 2021, he earned an extra $929,000 for working an average of 63 additional hours.

“He would do 24-hour shifts, like three or four days in a row,” said a Rancho doctor. “In our profession, like I’ve seen people do stuff like that, but not at this age and this long. I have never seen someone do this before.”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
If he’s grandfathered in the old California pension. His pension when he retired may be over 900k a year! Look up bell California scandal. Except mad respect for this doc for actually working! Those bell California city council people scammed the California pension system.

I don’t keep up with California pensions. I’m sure it changed over the years. My aunt (internal medicine) still collects almost 100k plus a year I think. Retired 15 years ago at age 65. The most she made I think was 110-120k or something like that. She was in the system for 35 years.

It’s like the Florida cop in that south Florida massacre shooting who was making 100k a year after 33 years. His pension was 99k. And he “retired” to escape the trouble from running around from the shooter when the kids got killed.

He’s been at it quite a while and he has a 2nd job 😂. It’s a slow burn.

“It’s not Namagerdy’s only gig. Certified in both critical care and anesthesiology, he also works part-time as a critical care doctor at UCI-Health Fountain Valley, a community hospital in Orange County. A hospital spokesperson said Namagerdy was working an average of six 12-hour shifts per month as of last fall.“

“Last year, Namagerdy earned $467,000 for his regular 40-hour work week and nearly $800,000 for hours put in as a registry physician. That amounts to an average of 54 additional hours per week.

In 2022, he earned an extra $906,000 for working an average of 61 additional hours per week on top of his regular salary. In 2021, he earned an extra $929,000 for working an average of 63 additional hours.

“He would do 24-hour shifts, like three or four days in a row,” said a Rancho doctor. “In our profession, like I’ve seen people do stuff like that, but not at this age and this long. I have never seen someone do this before.”

This sounds dangerous. And they are bragging about it?

Also are we sure this isn’t @aneftp who loves doing 72 hour shifts and making $50k? “Remember kids it’s about the workload, not the hours!”

Edit- I read the article and this is simple ICU work? 4-5 Beds ICU? He’s being paid a boatload mostly for call. His work consists of no more than 5 hours a day or less and he’s getting paid to be on call. He’s literally sleeping and getting paid!! Where do I sign up?

3 guys in ny group are in the dos commas group. They work a lot. They deserve it. We are lucky to have them.
I dont want to work like that

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found this part from the LA Times article interesting also:

“Last year Edna Yarashevich, a nurse in Rancho’s ICU, sued both the county and Namagerdy, accusing the anesthesiologist in her lawsuit of making vulgar sexual references at work, including discussing anal sex, comparing the removal of a catheter to sex (“you go in and out”) and flipping her off before inserting his middle finger in a patient’s anus. He also told a nurse that there was a woman he “cannot stand looking at” and that his “wife’s bush looks better than” the woman’s face, according to the lawsuit.

Yarashevich alleged in the lawsuit that she complained to multiple supervisors, including Pradhan, who told her that Namagerdy’s behavior “has been going on for years but that it is now getting out of control.” Matthew Matern, whose firm represents Yarashevich, declined to comment.“

Reactions: 1 users
Still plenty of places it can be done. Several groups still. As Amyl points out-usually it’s the 3-4 people in group who work 40-50% more than others

Could be done in my group with 90~100 hours.

I’m ok working 45 and making one comma

Last edited:
Now you guys get it.

Work smarter. Not harder.
The difference is you use CRNAs to make your boatload and just sign chart. You have repeatedly stated this.
This man here sounds like he’s just working an easy job doing his own thing.
One is a lot less risky. Not the same thing at all.

I found this part from the LA Times article interesting also:

“Last year Edna Yarashevich, a nurse in Rancho’s ICU, sued both the county and Namagerdy, accusing the anesthesiologist in her lawsuit of making vulgar sexual references at work, including discussing anal sex, comparing the removal of a catheter to sex (“you go in and out”) and flipping her off before inserting his middle finger in a patient’s anus. He also told a nurse that there was a woman he “cannot stand looking at” and that his “wife’s bush looks better than” the woman’s face, according to the lawsuit.

Yarashevich alleged in the lawsuit that she complained to multiple supervisors, including Pradhan, who told her that Namagerdy’s behavior “has been going on for years but that it is now getting out of control.” Matthew Matern, whose firm represents Yarashevich, declined to comment.“
I believe her. I believe when women come out about this ****. I have seen my fair shair of horrible nasty men in medicine. And the behavior gets tolerated by admin due to money.

The difference is you use CRNAs to make your boatload and just sign chart. You have repeatedly stated this.
This man here sounds like he’s just working an easy job doing his own thing.
One is a lot less risky. Not the same thing at all.
No, I do own cases as well. I cover 3 different in patient hospital currently. Each one is slightly different. One hospital I'm solo 24 hrs (I've done all 3 Friday Saturday Sunday). Difference is I"m on beeper and can drive home. (no OB)

Second place I have CRNA to 3pm and I take over and cover OB solo.

Third place has 2 Crna 24/7 but it's quite busy.

I have various call gigs. I'm picking up 2 more over the summer.

And no, this LA doc likely has ARNP's covering the ICU with him!!. There are many ICU models. Some even remotely. Like this one hospital has ICU docs covering remotely and ARNP in house. ICU docs get paid really well for remote home work from the couch with their pajamas.

Guess who has to intubate the ICU... the anesthesiologist converging OB! if the ER doc can't cover. Remote ICU docs got good gigs also

No, I do own cases as well. I cover 3 different in patient hospital currently. Each one is slightly different. One hospital I'm solo 24 hrs (I've done all 3 Friday Saturday Sunday). Difference is I"m on beeper and can drive home. (no OB)

Second place I have CRNA to 3pm and I take over and cover OB solo.

Third place has 2 Crna 24/7 but it's quite busy.

I have various call gigs. I'm picking up 2 more over the summer.

And no, this LA doc likely has ARNP's covering the ICU with him!!. There are many ICU models. Some even remotely. Like this one hospital has ICU docs covering remotely and ARNP in house. ICU docs get paid really well for remote home work from the couch with their pajamas.

Guess who has to intubate the ICU... the anesthesiologist converging OB! if the ER doc can't cover. Remote ICU docs got good gigs also
No smartly run hospital is paying a doc and NP to cover 4-5 bed ICU. That’s dumb. And the part where he’s doing a rectal exam tells me he’s seeing his own patients. (Weird though to be sticking fingers up the butt instead of getting an occult blood specimen per the nurse when they change the diaper). Places that have NPs are usually busier. Kind of like your OR experience with CRNAs.

No smartly run hospital is paying a doc and NP to cover 4-5 bed ICU. That’s dumb. And the part where he’s doing a rectal exam tells me he’s seeing his own patients. (Weird though to be sticking fingers up the butt instead of getting an occult blood specimen per the nurse when they change the diaper). Places that have NPs are usually busier. Kind of like your OR experience with CRNAs.
The smartly run hospitals these days are ruining their profit margins if they are using locums

Say locums cost a hospital 20 million alone
The w2 budget is 10 million (Say they are 50% staffed)

Just pay the w2 5 million extra. Have an 15 million dollar budget. And call it a day. That’s what smart admin does. Loss mitigation

But no they keep spending 20 million (and it’s growing locums cost) on hopes of getting more w2 on staff.

Don’t get me wrong. Hospital are still making ton off facility fees.

But better to hire more w2 staff either with increase paid vacation or flexible schedule. That will cost them 5 million extra. But that’s still better than a 20 million budget

That will solve the staffing problem for at least a year in this dynamic market

So no the smartly run hospital uses pushed its employees to the edge and they leave. It cost more to recruit than retain.

The smartly run hospitals these days are ruining their profit margins if they are using locums

Say locums cost a hospital 20 million alone
The w2 budget is 10 million (Say they are 50% staffed)

Just pay the w2 5 million extra. Have an 15 million dollar budget. And call it a day. That’s what smart admin does. Loss mitigation

But no they keep spending 20 million (and it’s growing locums cost) on hopes of getting more w2 on staff.

Don’t get me wrong. Hospital are still making ton off facility fees.

But better to hire more w2 staff either with increase paid vacation or flexible schedule. That will cost them 5 million extra. But that’s still better than a 20 million budget

That will solve the staffing problem for at least a year in this dynamic market

So no the smartly run hospital uses pushed its employees to the edge and they leave. It cost more to recruit than retain.
No where did the article say that he is a locums. He sounds like an independent contractor. Which half the docs in the USA are. And again I doubt but not sure they can justify both a NP and MD for a 4-5 bed rehab place. Did some stints in that for extra cash and they aren’t hard. Like someone said chronic vent patients. Hence I said sign me up! Haha.

To all your other points sure.

No where did the article say that he is a locums. He sounds like an independent contractor. Which half the docs in the USA are. And again I doubt but not sure they can justify both a NP and MD for a 4-5 bed rehab place. Did some stints in that for extra cash and they aren’t hard. Like someone said chronic vent patients. Hence I said sign me up! Haha.

To all your other points sure.

He’s a full time LA county employee, not an independent contractor. Base pay is 467k for 40hrs/week. But he also averaged 54hrs per week of overtime. Similar to police/firefighters/prison guards. His pay actually went down in 2023. Was $1.4+ in 2021 and 2022.

Last edited:
He’s a full time LA county employee, not an independent contractor. Base pay is 467k for 40hrs/week. But he also averaged 54hrs per week of overtime. Similar to police/firefighters/prison guards. His pay actually went down in 2023. Was $1.4+ in 2021 and 2022.

The real question is what is the pension based on and what system he is under since many pension systems changed around the financial 2008 crash.