Which OMFS programs have the best cleft lip/palate training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpman26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking for programs that will train you to comfortably perform all aspects of a cleft case, from beginning to end, without having to do a fellowship

Members don't see this ad.

No OMFS program provides enough experience without a fellowship.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any fellowships that have a history of accepting residents from 4 year programs?

I don’t know the answer to that. Maybe some of the residents can help, but I do know There are far more MD options.

Reactions: 1 user
Very few Cf fellowships exist for OMS, even less that are accredited. There’s the famous Pitt fellowship, Orlando with Ramon Ruiz, I think David Yates in El Paso has one? Shreveport has one. There’s not many at all compared to Prs. Unfortunately Jeff Posnick shut his down. That would have been the best one to go to.

Are there any fellowships that have a history of accepting residents from 4 year programs?

None of the OMFS cleft and craniofacial fellowships listed on aacmfs state that they require an MD. A quick google search showed that 3 of the people that matched did not come from a 6yr MD required program, but interestingly one has the MD/DO and another one did an OMFS/PhD program. I've been told that the barrier to fellowship on any given year is not so much qualification (obviously important), but the number of interested candidates since there are only so many people that want to do fellowship anyways.

Im looking for programs that will train you to comfortably perform all aspects of a cleft case, from beginning to end, without having to do a fellowship

hate to be the bearer of bad news but this does not exist. you will need fellowship training if you want to do cleft/cranio as an omfs.

To be fair, there is no specialty out there that adequately prepares a surgeon to become a craniofacial surgeon straight out of residency. Even PRS residents need to do a craniofacial fellowship if they want to do clefts and stuff. So yeah, gotta put in the extra time no matter which route you take unfortunately.