which one is better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zest

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
May be some of you already into medical school can help me with this

I have 2 schools I am picking between, one with good reputation and strong rotations. Second school with mediocre rotations but I will get to stay close to home.
I guess If I wanted good rotations - is there a way to attend the mediocre school and still get good rotation sites.

I appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you basing good and bad rotations on? From my experience most rotations are staff and resident dependent, not what hospital you are at.

I think your rotation experiences are going to depend largely on your residents and attendings. Not sure what info you're using to deduce that rotations will be 'mediocre' at a particular program several years from now. Could you elaborate?

Also, is there a significant cost difference between the two programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your rotation experiences are going to depend largely on your residents and attendings. Not sure what info you're using to deduce that rotations will be 'mediocre' at a particular program several years from now. Could you elaborate?

Also, is there a significant cost difference between the two programs?

Both programs are similar in cost- one of the school has been there for over 100yrs and the other one close to home is newer~ 10 yrs old. I guess I am refering to teaching hospitals as good rotation sites since you get to do more there Vs outpatient clinics or private hospitals.

How do I find out if the residents and attendees are good at certain hospital? Thanks for your reply.

How do I find out if the residents and attendees are good at certain hospital? Thanks for your reply.

Call the admissions offices at the schools you're considering and ask them to put you in touch with some 3rd or 4th year students, maybe by email -- these students are actually on the wards right now, so they can give you some insight into what the experience is like for them.

Both programs are similar in cost- one of the school has been there for over 100yrs and the other one close to home is newer~ 10 yrs old. I guess I am refering to teaching hospitals as good rotation sites since you get to do more there Vs outpatient clinics or private hospitals.

At the private hospitals that we rotate at the ratio of attendings to residents is higher, there's less work covered by residents, which means your actually doing more there vs the academic "teaching hospital." FWIW