Which one is worse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiveLife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which one looks worse:
1) a 5th year (double major) taking the MCAT with a 3.9 and a 29.
or
2) a 4th year (double major) taking the MCAT with a 3.8, and 25.

if you had a chance to pick one of the two which one would you pick and why!?
thanks for your responses in advance! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

The second applicant is worse than the first. There's little that can rescue a 25 MCAT, but taking a fifth year is not the end of the world.

LiveLife said:
which one looks worse:
1) a 5th year (double major) taking the MCAT with a 3.9 and a 29.
or
2) a 4th year (double major) taking the MCAT with a 3.8, and 25.

if you had a chance to pick one of the two which one would you pick and why!?
thanks for your responses in advance! ;)

I would much rather be in number 1's position. I don't think taking more time to complete your degree is anything shamefull. hey, post-baccs get accepted all the time! even though they usually get their degrees in 4 years, they still have to take 1-2 more years of undergrad courses, so in essence they are an undergraduate for 6 years. furthermore, number 1's stats are much better. i don't think taking an extra year of college would really hurt as much as getting a 25 on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would person one retake the MCAT if they got a 29???????? That's what I'm wanting to know. They would be good regardless of whether they did a second degree or an extra year, because they would just use the excuse that they wanted something to do and to broaden their horizons.

gujuDoc said:
Why would person one retake the MCAT if they got a 29???????? That's what I'm wanting to know. They would be good regardless of whether they did a second degree or an extra year, because they would just use the excuse that they wanted something to do and to broaden their horizons.

That's not part of the discussion. A person with a 3.8 and a 24 (person 2) is considering going an extra year so they can become person 1.

drinklord said:
That's not part of the discussion. A person with a 3.8 and a 24 (person 2) is considering going an extra year so they can become person 1.

or potentially become person 3 that is worse off than both scenerios (down to a 3.7 and a 23)

drinklord said:

Oh I see. I think I misunderstood. But that said........

If you are person 2, and are going to try to be person 1.......

Well let me see......

If you have a 3.8 gpa, there is no reason why I would waste money on extra classes unless you really really really want to go that way. If your MCAT is the only thing lacking, I would put my full focus on that instead. It is doable to bring it up 6 pts or so. So don't give up.

Just assess what you are doing wrong and where your weak points are. Oh and take advantage of the MCAT subforum if you need help. We have well qualified MCAT instructors posting on there.

vincvega said:
or potentially become person 3 that is worse off than both scenerios (down to a 3.7 and a 23)

:laugh: :laugh:

I'm sure if they made it this far with a 3.8, they could maintain it. But would it be worth it to do an extra year of school, unless you really had something you wanted to pursue???? Probably not. I would just focus on MCAT with full concentration and do something clinically a couple days a week. That's my suggestion.

thanks for all your replys... I am thinking if I will be able to bring up my score in this 6weeks by about 7-9 points or not. because if I will not get a 27 or higher than it is not worse retaking the MCAT this early in AUG. what do you guys think.

What is your score breakdown by section?

drinklord said:
What is your score breakdown by section?

my score = 20N (PS 10, VR 3, BS 7)

1 looks better to me. If you have to take the extra year to hit those numbers, I'd say go for it.

LiveLife said:
thanks for all your replys... I am thinking if I will be able to bring up my score in this 6weeks by about 7-9 points or not. because if I will not get a 27 or higher than it is not worse retaking the MCAT this early in AUG. what do you guys think.

Don't take the MCAT until you are ready - meaning that you are consistantly scoring the score you want or better on multiple full length practice exams prior to the test. It will look worse (and be harder to overcome) to have multiple bad MCATs than to have waited a year. Plus you can always use the year to bulk up your ECs or otherwise improve your app.

Thanks for your advice everyone!