Which one of these four master's programs would be the best for med school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are 4 concentrations in master's program, and I need to find out which program would be the best for me. My interest level is about the same for all. I was a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major and was generally stronger in physical science courses than biological courses. I always had a habit of not studying "everything" for bio courses and consequently missed many As.

(1) Anatomy concentration covers
biomedical science, neuroanatomy, embryology, microscopic anatomy, gross anatomy, and some research credits
and I can choose ethics course or biostatistics

(2) Biomed concentration covers
Biotechnology, Biochem-molecular-cellular bio, medical microbiology, Genetics, Immunology, metabolic and genetic basis of human diseases and biostatistics (don't see any research credits)

(3) pharmacology concentration covers
biomedical science, pharmacology, physiology and pharmacology and neuropharmacology and rest are research

(4) Neuroscience concentration covers
biomedical science, aging and neuroscience, neuroanatomy, neuroimmunology, neuroscience, spinal core development, pathology and therapy, stem cells and brain repair, Alzheimer's disease, and many other neuroscience electives

Btw, Anatomy concentration people had the highest MCAT average of 28 and their avg gpa was 3.5. and Biomed ppl had the second highest 26 and 3.4. Though I didn't excel in bio courses, I managed to balance my GPA to be 3.75.

Members don't see this ad.

Which one of these four master's programs would be the best for med school???
I'm not sure on what level you mean "best". I am aware that you have another intent for graduate studies than GPA issues, so for your purposes, to show you can do well in upper-level Bio since you haven't always performed strongly in similar classes, and also to ease your way in med school, choice #1 or #2 would seem to fit the bill. I'd lean more toward #1, as a) I'd assume you already have a strong grounding in the second-choice coursework based on your undergrad major, and b) due to the statistics cited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure on what level you mean "best". I am aware that you have another intent for graduate studies than GPA issues, so for your purposes, to show you can do well in upper-level Bio since you haven't always performed strongly in similar classes, and also to ease your way in med school, choice #1 or #2 would seem to fit the bill. I'd lean more toward #1, as a) I'd assume you already have a strong grounding in the second-choice coursework based on your undergrad major, and b) due to the statistics cited.

This is exactly what I was thinking!!! :D
I was just checking the validity of my thought process. thank you!!! :):)

I think you should pick any subject you feel you like and will excel. But also, try to find out how many hard science classes there are in each one, cause medical schools can see if you padded your graduate GPA with research credits: which they will sometimes calculate out of the grad GPA - and evaluate you from there.

If you really want to challenge yourself, try a Specials Masters Program - which allow you to take 1st year medical school classes - thus if you do well, your pretty much lock in for proving yourself; assuming your good with the MCAT.

Whatever you chose, do well in it!