which one would you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashimlro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you recommend between majoring in BIOLOGY and majoring in CHEMISTRY?

Most people who are applying to D school are bio major; is it because majoring in bio has a lot help to study some courses in dental school?

Chemistry doesn't help in dental school since most courses in D are related with biology...?

Thank you for ur help

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter what you major in as long as you complete your pre-reqs. The reason why most people major in biology is because they can complete their pre-reqs and major requirements simultaneously. That way they can get a degree and get into dental school with a minimal number of superfluous classes. Savvy? :cool:

Bio it's easier than Chem. Helps with GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
Bio it's easier than Chem. Helps with GPA

Granted a chem major would separate you from the pack of bio majors when applying. But to me there are just way to many extra hurdles (hard classes like p-chem) in this major that would not apply to the DAT or dental school.

However there are two chemistry sections on the DAT and only one bio, so maybe I’m wrong there.

My advice is to pick a major you enjoy and will DO WELL IN. A degree in either one of these subjects is not nearly as important as the GPA earned along with it.

Why don't you just combine them both - Biochemistry. Thats what I majored in, and while I agree with Hysteria that there are a couple superfluous classes like Physical chemistry and Analytical chemistry - I think that it did a great job of preparing me for the DAT and dental school. You might have to take some biology classes that aren't in your major in order to get prepared for the DAT though. Plus, in the event that you end up not going to dental school, I think that a Chemistry degree is more valuable than a biology degree. That being said, if you don't like Chemistry, than I wouldn't do it, because it would be like pulling your own teeth for four years (without anesthetic).

/agree with above

Biochem is your best bet (Although I had to take that b#$ch of a class P-Chem anyway!!)

There is VERY little chemistry once you're actually in dental school(absolutely no O-Chem) but there is quite a bit of bio that comes up.

As far as making your major chem JUST to prep for the DAT, I'd say is overkill and will make get'n your GPA high just that much harder.

Remember, once you're a dentist, you won't use 95% of what you learn in undergrad, so who cares?

Are you that Emory kid? I highly don't recommend bio or biochem at Emory. They're the GPA savage. Chem was more boring but GPA friendly.

lol..UCSF2012 :)

yes, I'm Emory kids... I know bio at Emory is killing me; I mean some students who are majoring in bio said, "general bio is harder than advanced bio." I am just confused... Emory doesn't have biochem major, so majoring in biochem of course doesn't apply to me...Hm...I agree UCSF2012; r u emory student?

If u r, I need ur help :) thx

chemistry here.... do whatever YOU want not what you think OTHERS want you to do...

at the end of the day, you'll need to be somewhat interested in the material in order to study enough to have the gpa needed

lol..UCSF2012 :)

yes, I'm Emory kids... I know bio at Emory is killing me; I mean some students who are majoring in bio said, "general bio is harder than advanced bio." I am just confused... Emory doesn't have biochem major, so majoring in biochem of course doesn't apply to me...Hm...I agree UCSF2012; r u emory student?

If u r, I need ur help :) thx

A fellow Eagle here. If you want the absolute most educated guess on whether you can handle a bio degree at Emory, walk by the bio dept and look at the tests posted on the walls and the grading. It didn't look as strict as Bio 141, but I'm still not flattered. Do NOT take Escobar as any cost!!!!

Grading in Chem was a lot more generous. The material wasn't very hard, and the tests were just okay. PChem scares most people, but Kaufman knows that and his tests tend to be easier and not go into much depth.

Chem is awesome because there isn't a lot of things to know. It's a few concepts here and there, and most the time you're just doing math and junk. Bio's all work and no remembering. You can buy yourself free time by doing a more conceptual major. Physics isn't bad too. Mostly math. But I'd recommend doing a major like psych. It's a rare degree and you'll be put at a premium for most schools. Anything not bio or chem puts you at an advantage for healthcare schools. It's also super interesting. And there's nothing like being in a class full of cute girls.

A fellow Eagle here. If you want the absolute most educated guess on whether you can handle a bio degree at Emory, walk by the bio dept and look at the tests posted on the walls and the grading. It didn't look as strict as Bio 141, but I'm still not flattered. Do NOT take Escobar as any cost!!!!

Grading in Chem was a lot more generous. The material wasn't very hard, and the tests were just okay. PChem scares most people, but Kaufman knows that and his tests tend to be easier and not go into much depth.

Chem is awesome because there isn't a lot of things to know. It's a few concepts here and there, and most the time you're just doing math and junk. Bio's all work and no remembering. You can buy yourself free time by doing a more conceptual major. Physics isn't bad too. Mostly math. But I'd recommend doing a major like psych. It's a rare degree and you'll be put at a premium for most schools. Anything not bio or chem puts you at an advantage for healthcare schools. It's also super interesting. And there's nothing like being in a class full of cute girls.

Okay, so I hate to interrupt this thread, but do you really think psyc would be a good major? I am looking into changing my major to psyc (have a post about it(.. I would have to take a fairly heavy course load from here on out, but I would do it if it would be beneficial. Hmmm...

GREAT! :laugh:

I know Ebsocber's lab is so boring; it's insane:scared:...Why do u recommend to major in such as psych or others than bio and chem?!

Okay, so I hate to interrupt this thread, but do you really think psyc would be a good major? I am looking into changing my major to psyc (have a post about it(.. I would have to take a fairly heavy course load from here on out, but I would do it if it would be beneficial. Hmmm...

Psych's super interesting, and some of the advanced classes do things like neuro-psych thingmagig I don't understand. But it's all really practical for life, and it's not the same mundane Bio/Chem/Biochem as everyone else. Everything outside the typical majors give an increased acceptance rate to the healthcare fields. (while all the typical science degrees give an increased acceptance into law school.) But no, Mashimlro should do psych. You should do women's studies.

Psych's super interesting, and some of the advanced classes do things like neuro-psych thingmagig I don't understand. But it's all really practical for life, and it's not the same mundane Bio/Chem/Biochem as everyone else. Everything outside the typical majors give an increased acceptance rate to the healthcare fields. (while all the typical science degrees give an increased acceptance into law school.) But no, Mashimlro should do psych. You should do women's studies.

Thanks for the input. That would be another option. I checked into it, but my University only offers a minor in Women Studies. Although it would be interesting, I think I would enjoy psyc more.

Major in what you want, dental schools really don't care about your major. To be honest, a chem major won't really set you apart from a bio major since there are plenty of both groups applying. As long as you complete your pre-reqs and take some upper-level bio courses, you're set.

If you really like bio and chem and can't chose between them, like everyone said major in biochem. Of course it's more concentrated on chemistry than biology with P chem and analytical chem. Yikes! :scared: