Which one?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by MS05', Apr 15, 2004.

1. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So, I'm stuck with this dilemma...which should I do...

An away rotation at Cook or at Vandy? I can see myself at both programs (for residency) and think the didactics would be similar between the two as well as exposure to a wide variety of patients. I was accepted into both programs during January and have to make a decision soon.

Anyone have any personal experiences (or hear anything specific) about either program they'd be willing to share?

2. skontroller

skontroller New Member
    10+ Year Member

Cook County is a phenomenal program and a letter of rec from a faculty member there can only help you. I did a sub-I there and had a great experience.

I don't know anything about Vandy.

If you have any q's feel free to PM me

Bests

3. margaritaboy

margaritaboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One of my attendings said that he learned more in a one month away rotation at Vandy as a 4th year than he did in the first two years of his residency. He said the teaching was outstanding.

They have a pretty nice ER and brand new Peds ER. Faculty and residents seem laid back and friendly.

Don't know anything about Cook.

4. Joejitsu

Joejitsu Member
    10+ Year Member

Vandy had an outstanding didactic program for students and residents. There were daily lectures each morning and I think you got like 3-5 hours of teaching a week from the chairman. Very cool stuff. This is all based on what I was told and saw during my interview day though, never rotated there. I had zero interest in cook and did not interview there due to non-desireable location.

Joe

5. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

where would you rather be during January? I say go with Vandy.

6. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Point well taken, especially coming from Buffalo...in January...it's not pretty. :D

In retrospect, I guess I could see myself at Vandy moreso than at Cook because of their PGY 2,3,4 set up.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!