Which organic chemistry textbook has your class used?

Started by blankguy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blankguy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which textbook does your school use for organic chemistry?
UMass-Boston uses Solomons & Fryhle 8th Edition, but it may change due to a new instructor coming this fall.
I hear Morrison & Boyd and MacMurry are pretty commonly used.
 
Univ. of Hawaii-Manoa uses Janice G. Smith's "Organic Chemistry", 1st edition. really good book with lots of clinical relations.
 
Skeptrix said:
Univ. of Hawaii-Manoa uses Janice G. Smith's "Organic Chemistry", 1st edition. really good book with lots of clinical relations.

Haven't officially taken Ochem in a while, so I don't recall, but Harvard's free online course recommends Wade's "Organic Chemistry" (fifth edition was the most recent as of last year). I re-taught myself Ochem for the MCAT using that book and the online Harvard site.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We used McMurry but I also used Solomons book. McMurry is way easier and skips a lot of stuff Sol. covers. Sol is an excellent additional book to use. It explains the mechanisms to greater deatil than McMurry even the creation of the catalysts used. I love Sol. I didnt like McMurry. I also used Wade and Ege for extra problems. I did like Ege but not Wade.

I did so much o-chem homework it is shocking !