Which ortho programs value experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bremart62002

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no question board scores and class rank are the most heavily weighted, and important, factors when applying to ortho programs. But... some programs value experience, and are willing to view an applicant as a complete package. I'm a complete package kind of guy with solid, not exceptional, numbers. I believe Einstein and St. Barnabas Hospital are a couple.

What other programs value experience?

What programs care very little about experience without exceptional numbers?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I can provide realworld perspective on the value of experience in the competitive arena called orthodontic admissions. It is indeed true that it is a numbers game; after all, the sheer low number of available slots dictates that the competition for spots will be INTENSE. However, if youve got good stuff on all your CV areas and youve got stuff that the average braniac "number one student at Univ of XYZ" cant possibly have yet, then you WILL get some looks from the commitees. And this is where the experienced candidate usually shines.......the interview. Real world experience absolutely counts.
After all, when was the last time you heard of a 24 year old new graduate selected to be a CEO?

can you define what you mean by "experience"?

one-third of my class in dental school came in with prior work experience. some were engineers, bankers, teachers, ex-military, etc.

There is no question board scores and class rank are the most heavily weighted, and important, factors when applying to ortho programs. But... some programs value experience, and are willing to view an applicant as a complete package. I'm a complete package kind of guy with solid, not exceptional, numbers. I believe Einstein and St. Barnabas Hospital are a couple.

What other programs value experience?

What programs care very little about experience without exceptional numbers?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
Jone, if the question was to me then I mean DENTAL experience first and foremost. That is not to say that "real world other" experience is thrown out the door.......

I suppose that question was directed toward me, and it's a fair question. However, I hope this doesn't take away from the original questions I posted regarding ortho programs and their evaluation criteria. Ortho may never be in my future, and I understand that. I would however, like to get a feel for the programs that might be most favorable to individuals with experience.

My experience includes:
-formal training as a dental lab tech, with 5 plus years of full time experience prior to dental school
-military hpsp, aegd, deployment as officer-in-charge, as well as other cv worthy military experiences.
-4 plus years private practice (ownership)
-Assistant Dental School faculty

Please feel free to contact me via PM if someone has information they are not comfortable posting

Much appreciation,

Indiana is another program that usually interviews a few military and usually "holds" a spot for at least one. Einstein is a littler harder to get into since they only accept positions every two years and have one of the highest pgy1 salaries for ortho residents (as well as no tuition after year 1)

So what branch of the military were you in? Just curious because your history sounds very similar to mine.