Which path to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ground control

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Just a brief background, I'm a 28 year old GP from Asia, graduated 2014, and I've decided to move elsewhere to continue training or practicing medicine. At first I did not even consider leaving, but due to fairly recent, and personal events (which I won't disclose), I've decided to leave my country. Here are my options:

I'm considering going to the US. I took Step 1 this year, but I've flunked it, unfortunately. Inasmuch as I would like to have a second go at it, I was strongly advised not to as the chances of matching are much more slim given that I am already and IMG. I am also considering doing medical school all over again in the US, but it is ridiculously expensive, and it will take another 4 years, and I'm not sure myself how to go about it.

I'm also considering Australia (my first choice actually, and my first post here in SDN). I decided against it because of the extreme difficulty of getting into a residency program. But now, at least for Australia, getting into a residency program is not as much of a priority as it once was, and I'm cool with practicing as a GP given how much more manageable it is compared to the US pathway, hopefully later on be apply and be qualified for a residency program.

With these being said, I'd like to hear your thoughts and comments. I'm at a crossroad and I don't know what to do and can't commit entirely to anything at the moment.