Which post-bacc programs would be best for me? (GPA-booster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSDMember

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about doing a post-bacc program because I do not feel prepared to apply to medical school this cycle. I am signed up to take the MCAT in May but I do not feel prepared for it. I am finding it difficult to study for the MCAT while taking a full load of science courses and working part time. I spent hours and hours researching SMPs and other programs but I'm not sure which one would be best for me. I wonder what my shots are at getting accepted at programs such as the Georgetown SMP, Drexel, etc. What are some of the best programs that I have a shot at and that are successful at getting their students into med schools?

Does anyone have any advice on this? I am not too sure of what I should do at this point. I do not feel ready to take my MCAT in May and apply in June. How worth it is it to apply to SMPs?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate any input!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any advice on this?
You should do anything and everything to get into a UC. Why? Cost of attendance for a private or out-of-state school is incredibly high, and that's after you pay for a GPA comeback (such as an SMP).
I am not too sure of what I should do at this point.
If what you want is to get into med school, then you need to do a whole lot of not screwing around. Max out your extra-curriculars and get utterly obsessive about study skills. Spend some time looking through the low GPA threads, and the reapplicant forum, to familiarize yourself with the typical mistakes people make - and don't make those mistakes. Spend some time looking at the What Are My Chances threads and get to know your neurotic, squeaky clean competition for UC admission. Then cross-reference what you learn on SDN with the facts about MD school admissions: https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/
I do not feel ready to take my MCAT in May and apply in June.
Then don't. You have to figure out a schedule for success. You also have to figure out if you're up to the rigors of med school. Come second year, you'll be completely nostalgic for how much spare time you have right now.

Also, you need much better than a 30. 32 is minimum for a California GPA comeback.
How worth it is it to apply to SMPs?
This question says to me that you didn't comprehend SMPs in those hours and hours of research. Quick FAQ:
Q. What is the whole entire solitary point of an SMP?
A. To get low-GPA premeds into med school.

Q. What are the benefits of an SMP?
A. It demonstrates commitment to med school, it gets you really well prepared for med school, and if you perform well, you get into med school.

Q. What are the problems with doing an SMP?
A. They're expensive, there are no guarantees, and if you screw up you don't go to med school.

One option for you is to go DO.

Best of luck to you.