Which Postbac is best for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

30smed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site and have been reading different posts on postbac. I found the information on the site very insightful. I am wondering if I can get some help on which postbac programs I should apply to or have chances of acceptance.

I am a career changer in my 30's. I hardly took any science class in ugrad and that was more than 10 years ago. My ugrad GPA is 3.7 and SAT is around ~1350. I have a MBA but not sure what my GPA is. Its definitely not very high around prob ~3.0 as I thought I was done with school. Do the postbac programs look more closely at ugrad GPA vs grad GPA?

I don't have as much clinical or volunteer experience. I have quit work to focus on this so I will be volunteering from now until whenever the program starts, but I won't have much prior to submitting any apps. Will this hurt me? My closest health related experience is that I worked at a healthcare company as a project manager, but don't think that really counts. I am going to try shadowing a doctor in the mean time (looking into this at the moment). Ideas on how to do this other than family/friends?

Another question I have is that majority of these programs require an academic reference. Is this crucial? Can I get two work recommendations instead?

I would like to attend a structured program like Goucher, Scripps, Mills, and BM. Will I have a chance? If not, recommendations?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You're actually in a rather rare and nice situation. Most people have an excellent graduate GPA because, quite frankly, it's easier to attain such and a lower undergrad GPA. You having the opposite works in your favor because postbacs pay much closer attention to your undergrad GPA. Obviously, it would be best if both were high, but you're in the best possible situation otherwise. Your SATs are getting close to in-range for the top programs, as well.

You can play around with the wording and make a health care business case manager or whatever you were sound medically-related. Just be creative. "I experienced the increasingly dominant business side of medicine and look forward to the challenges an evolving heath care landscape poses for me and my colleagues..." blah blah blah inset other well-crafted BS here. And just volunteer a bunch from now until you apply and you'll probably look pretty strong.

I say go for the top programs. You've got a fighting chance at Goucher, Scripps and BM (my alma mater). Good luck.

I say go for the top programs. You've got a fighting chance at Goucher, Scripps and BM (my alma mater). Good luck.

I agree. From what you've said, it looks like your stats are competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your feedback. I will go for the top programs.

The biggest advice I usually give is apply early; not only will that give you a better shot at admissions, but it will also give you time to apply elsewhere should Goucher (where BetterLate and I went), Scripps, or BM not work out.

As for shadowing/volunteering, I'm assuming you've started already, so you should at least have a couple months under your belt before they look at your app. Either way, make sure you can really articulate how you know this path is right for you, particularly since you haven't had much health-related experience yet. (I was in the same boat.)

Good luck!