Which Presidential Candidate Do You Plan to Vote for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Presidential Candidate Do You Plan to Vote for?

• Barack Obama (Democrat)

Votes: 149 56.0%
  • Mitt Romney (Republican)

Votes: 60 22.6%
  • Gary Johnson (Libertarian)

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • Jill Stein (Green)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Not eligible to vote or don't plan to vote

Votes: 19 7.1%

• Total voters
that's my thought, just because it's not my sides idea doesn't mean its a bad idea or won't work. Just because they disagree doesn't mean they wan't work together.

I'd like to see everyone spend more time working to benefit the country and less time arguing to benefit their careers as politicians.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing personal but these are the kind of one sided arguments that I find boring. You make good points but cannot resist bashing the other side. Is it not possible that both sides have good and bad points and the solution lies somewhere in the middle? Therein lies the root problem IMO, as long as our government and our mentality is me vs. you we are doomed to a slow spiraling down the drain. Afterall, a house divided cannot stand. :confused:

I think you do a giant disservice by painting both sides as equally culpable. The GOP has lurched so far right that centrist position look far left.

I think we can pretty much agree that Nixon and Reagan are two of the most conservative presidents in the modern era. Both of them would be liberal Democrats today. Nixon shook hands with chairman Mao and opened up formal relations with a country full of 1 billion communists He also formed the EPA, supported the Clean Air Act, OSHA, the National Environmental Policy Act. On top of that, he supported single payer healthcare. Reagan is even worse. He provided amnesty to illegal immigrants, raised taxes numerous times, worked to abolish nuclear weapons, negotiated with the "Evil Empire", saved Medicare/SS, was weak on terrorism (the Beirut bombings, Libyan bombings both which killed numerous American citizens were never answered for by Reagan), was responsible for the biggest expansion of the government until GWB.

That's how far right the GOP has lurched. You cannot have a sensible discussion when fully half of the political spectrum refuses to even sit down to the table with the intention of governing. The GOP's plan can be summed up in 1 word "NO". They have no real intent to govern.

Nothing personal but these are the kind of one sided arguments that I find boring. You make good points but cannot resist bashing the other side. Is it not possible that both sides have good and bad points and the solution lies somewhere in the middle? Therein lies the root problem IMO, as long as our government and our mentality is me vs. you we are doomed to a slow spiraling down the drain. Afterall, a house divided cannot stand. :confused:

Well the reality is that the question is what you think is good and what you think is bad here. To be honest almost any political ideology can work, from Aristocracy to Plutocracy, it's just what you're willing to put the population at large up to really. Were we not functioning as a country in the 19th century when the common man and child worked in sweat shops, had no education, and live on 10 square feet? Of course we functioned. The question really is do we want that as a society?

And the honestly you accuse me of bashing the party, but I am not, I am simply stating a fact. When a political party seeks to end "the education of critical thinking" ( Texas-R), blocks a bill that seeks to end wage discrimination for women ( House), that seeks to block improving our country's pitiful infrastructure, that seeks to repeal regulations that protect our children from illness ( Clean Air and Water), that seek to allow the establishment of pipelines that will barely reduce international imports of fossil fuels, but block the establishment of functional green energy that now powers the total electric needs of two European nations in their entirety, and that will block any regulation of arms, I cannot help but simply call them out as plutocrats.

Sorry, but there is simply no middle ground here. History has made that clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an older non-traditional applicant it is very important to me that adequate Graduate medical education funding (GME) is around by the time I finish medical school. Which presidential candidate do you think will be more likely to support GME funding?

Are there any people out there interested in a National Health Service Corps scholarship to help pay for the costs of medical school? There is a major change about to take place with the elimination of the Bush tax cuts that will make the tuition money received from the scholarship taxable. Depending on the medical school you attend to this tax could amount to $30K-$100K for us. This change in taxable status seems to include all military and other health care scholarships (nursing, PA, Optometry, etc).

If the Bush tax cuts are renewed completely then these programs will be renewed as well.

See below:

From the NHSC:
The NHSC wants to make you aware of potential changes to the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) that could affect you if you receive an NHSC scholarship. Currently, the tuition, fees, and other reasonable cost components of the NHSC scholarship award are exempt from Federal income tax (Section 117(c)(2) of the IRC). However, that tax exemption will expire on December 31, 2012 if an extension is not signed into law. If Section 117(c)(2) expires, NHSC scholarship program participants will be responsible for paying the income tax on all portions of the scholarship award received on or after January 1, 2013.

Here is what section 117(c)(2) is all about

117(c)(2)

Expire: 12/31/2012

Description of Provision:
Elimination of tax on awards under the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program and the F. Edward Hébert Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program (Code Sec. 117(c)(2) and §901 of P.L. 107-16)

Termination Term
A termination rule applies to all provisions (not otherwise extended or made permanent) that were enacted in the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (EGTRRA) (P.L. 107-16). (this was signed by George W. Bush in 2001)

These provisions terminate December 31, 2012, under EGTRRA section 901, as modified by the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (TRUIRJCA) (P.L. 111-312).

Source: http://www.mlbinc.com/news110.htm

Not sure.
idio.jpg

President Not Sure? Now that's somebody I could get behind.

Realistically, though, I will vote for Romney. He wasn't my favorite, but Obama has been horrible and anybody but him will be a welcome change.

I think you do a giant disservice by painting both sides as equally culpable. The GOP has lurched so far right that centrist position look far left.

I think we can pretty much agree that Nixon and Reagan are two of the most conservative presidents in the modern era. Both of them would be liberal Democrats today.

That's how far right the GOP has lurched. You cannot have a sensible discussion when fully half of the political spectrum refuses to even sit down to the table with the intention of governing. The GOP's plan can be summed up in 1 word "NO". They have no real intent to govern.

On the idea that both sides are equally culpable, how can anyone realistically and honestly assign a percentage of blame in where we are today? Quote stats all you want but it takes 5 mins of politics watching to realize that anyone can use stats on any subject in any way. The fairest and most realistic way to assign blame is to assign to both parties, the percentage to me is far less important than the idea that both have gotten us here.

As for where the parties are today and where they have come from this is easily attributed to cultural shift and if you read my previous rant than you know that this is where I assign most of my blame for where our country currently finds itself. IMO, culture is to blame for most of our issues. I am not as concerned with the name of the party but more with the ideas they put forth. I could throw out as many negative stats about dems if i wanted.

And I agree that currently republicans abuse the strategy of no, I mentioned this in my first rant. Suppose Romney wins, you think the dems will suddenly cooperate? Nope. And therein lies my biggest issue with politics in America, IE the me vs. you mentality does a great and potentially fatal disservice to this country's future.

Lesser of two evils so my vote goes to Barack Obama. Romney does not seem real to me. He is in no position to lead this country.

Well the reality is that the question is what you think is good and what you think is bad here. To be honest almost any political ideology can work, from Aristocracy to Plutocracy, it's just what you're willing to put the population at large up to really. Were we not functioning as a country in the 19th century when the common man and child worked in sweat shops, had no education, and live on 10 square feet? Of course we functioned. The question really is do we want that as a society?

And the honestly you accuse me of bashing the party, but I am not, I am simply stating a fact. When a political party seeks to end "the education of critical thinking" ( Texas-R), blocks a bill that seeks to end wage discrimination for women ( House), that seeks to block improving our country's pitiful infrastructure, that seeks to repeal regulations that protect our children from illness ( Clean Air and Water), that seek to allow the establishment of pipelines that will barely reduce international imports of fossil fuels, but block the establishment of functional green energy that now powers the total electric needs of two European nations in their entirety, and that will block any regulation of arms, I cannot help but simply call them out as plutocrats.

Sorry, but there is simply no middle ground here. History has made that clear.

I agree on the questions of what we want as a society. I just wish "we" wanted a moderate and cooperative society instead of a red or blue one.

On bashing and "facts", c'mon now, you know that your "facts" are actually opinion as I could easily cite just as many "stats/facts" opposing yours and we could be nowhere real fast. I grew up in Texas and I assume you are referring to the 'no child left behind' law? Yeh that is a great piece of political garbage and I wont defend it. But honestly, repubs dont want good infrastructure? Cuz they dont drive on the same roads as us? Cmon, conjecture at best.

Blocking wage protection for women? We already have anti-discrimination laws on the books so I am not sure which you are referring to.

As for green tech. Well Solyndra was a giant smoking pile of success wasn't it? Does that mean we should not try anymore of course not. I realize there are may repubs who would argue otherwise but this is something dems have a good idea on (just horrible results). I believe we should use clean coal, an energy form we have in huge supply (the most in the world) and develop clean green tech while we use that coal power. I also believe we should use the safer cleaner tech we have now to tap the oil that we have and completely cut-off the middle east. Oh i know i know the poor caribou! But we can tap the oil we have safely if we were allowed. The keystone pipeline, near and dear to Nebraska, should be allowed to happen strictly to deny the oil to China if nothing else.

As for arms, Iran has nuke fuel and can weaponize and is nearly able to deliver thanks to who? Iran can and will use nukes to start WW3 whether you or I like it or not. Sanctions wont stop this. As a 6 year USAF vet, i have been to war 4x and I know the tolls associated with another one but Iran+Nuke=bad news for all.

I agree on the questions of what we want as a society. I just wish "we" wanted a moderate and cooperative society instead of a red or blue one.

kk, sing to the choir.

On bashing and "facts", c'mon now, you know that your "facts" are actually opinion as I could easily cite just as many "stats/facts" opposing yours and we could be nowhere real fast. I grew up in Texas and I assume you are referring to the 'no child left behind' law? Yeh that is a great piece of political garbage and I wont defend it. But honestly, repubs dont want good infrastructure? Cuz they dont drive on the same roads as us? Cmon, conjecture at best.

No.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html
They actually openly said they want to block our children from learning about the past because it will make them more prone to liberalism and likely atheism.

Blocking wage protection for women? We already have anti-discrimination laws on the books so I am not sure which you are referring to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/us/politics/senate-republicans-block-pay-equity-bill.html
We have gender discrimination laws, but this one seeked to help bridge the gap a little bit more

As for green tech. Well Solyndra was a giant smoking pile of success wasn't it? Does that mean we should not try anymore of course not. I realize there are may repubs who would argue otherwise but this is something dems have a good idea on (just horrible results). I believe we should use clean coal, an energy form we have in huge supply (the most in the world) and develop clean green tech while we use that coal power. I also believe we should use the safer cleaner tech we have now to tap the oil that we have and completely cut-off the middle east. Oh i know i know the poor caribou! But we can tap the oil we have safely if we were allowed. The keystone pipeline, near and dear to Nebraska, should be allowed to happen strictly to deny the oil to China if nothing else.

And Holland is completely green energy now. Furthermore clean coal is on oxymoron, there is nothing clean about the most dirty fuel source in the world, from asthma to mountain eradication, ecological wastelands left behind, to the fact that it produces less jobs than building wind mills and sustaining them ( Also safer and better for health).
Commentary about the middle east is agreeable. However drill drill drill is not the answer, furthermore the oil in Alaska and the Key Stone pipe will cost more and be far worse of an investment than investing in windmills and solar panels. Also where does China come into this?

As for arms, Iran has nuke fuel and can weaponize and is nearly able to deliver thanks to who? Iran can and will use nukes to start WW3 whether you or I like it or not. Sanctions wont stop this. As a 6 year USAF vet, i have been to war 4x and I know the tolls associated with another one but Iran+Nuke=bad news for all.

My physics 1 & 2 professor is a current ranked army officer nuclear engineer who actually spent half the year laughing about the fears regarding Iran, how people who are afraid of Iran are " Under educated Plebeians who think that nuclear weaponry is still in the 50s". There's no threat from Iran in terms of starting a direct world war 3, maybe a proxy war, but the reality is that there are much bigger fish today that are a bigger threat.

Anyway, you're buying too much into the power of Iran, a fragmented theocracy who's allies are dropping like flies, and China a nation that historically has fallen multiple times in history, has an enormous unhappy worker population ( Disparity), and depends entirely on commercial exports for profit. To be honest, China will likely fragment within the next two decades, history has painted this picture far too many times.

My physics 1 & 2 professor is a current ranked army officer nuclear engineer who actually spent half the year laughing about the fears regarding Iran, how people who are afraid of Iran are " Under educated Plebeians who think that nuclear weaponry is still in the 50s". There's no threat from Iran in terms of starting a direct world war 3, maybe a proxy war, but the reality is that there are much bigger fish today that are a bigger threat.

Anyway, you're buying too much into the power of Iran, a fragmented theocracy who's allies are dropping like flies, and China a nation that historically has fallen multiple times in history, has an enormous unhappy worker population ( Disparity), and depends entirely on commercial exports for profit. To be honest, China will likely fragment within the next two decades, history has painted this picture far too many times.

Man I want to give you a response that is respectful of the ideas you have put forth but school started for me today so I must be brief, I apologize (I have truly enjoyed this back and forth).

I read a fair amount of that Wash Post article but surely you can see how proving democrat/liberal viewpoints using a democrat/liberal newspaper is sketchy? Honestly that read more like an opinion piece than actual fact (quoting Steven Colbert a liberal comedian who makes fun of conservatives is hardly convincing). I can see how you would take the article the way you did but let me add this: I grew up in Texas and went through public school there. I had an excellent education but when i attended I was a part of a special program for "Talented and gifted" accronym was TAG actually. It was a more challenging track for kids who were needed more than the run of the mill pub ed. This program has long since been labeled discrimination and illegal, by guess who? I already admitted "No child left behind is in an abomination".

The dutch have some really good ideas including their healthcare system HOWEVER their energy infrastructure/demand is a mere fraction of ours and their culture is far far different and more accepting of the side effects of having a predominantly green society, there's that nasty culture again ruining things.

With all due respect to your Army friend, I know the briefings I saw and I cannot talk about the pictures I saw but I stand by my Iran comments. The WW3 comment was suggestive of them kicking things off with Israel, I think you got that but I wanted to assure my intent. I agree that it would likely started as proxy but can one ever be truly assured that a proxy war will stay a proxy war? I'd rather not bet on a half baked nut like Ahmadinejad. I also realize he only holds part of the decision making but history tells me the Ayatollah's aren't exactly our friends either (a better reason to bite the bullet on coal power until more green energy/nuke reactors can be brought up, consequently I disagree with the clean coal oxymoron bit but we must agree to disagree on this one).

As far as war and China: they are the big fish and they have a military fast becoming capable of fighting us toe to toe. Their anti carrier tech is scary as hell and real. Their army numbers make ours look like boyscouts but I question the heart of a forced conscription army, again not a prospect I want to test though.

All that to say this, China is winning the real war going on right now and that is the economic war. They own half our country and they could cripple us right now by attempting to collect their debt as we cannot pay it. But they are making so much money off us and are using it to turbo boost their military, economy, and modernization. My personal fear is eventually they will rather see us ruined than bleed us anymore which really speaks to the importance of securing our own energy sources and paying off the debt stat. The only pitfall for China is that they may have tied themselves to us too much and may follow us off the cliff but again that is hardly a theory I want to test as living in that America would suck ass.

So much for my brief response hah. Good talking with ya, feel free to let me what ya think!

Man I want to give you a response that is respectful of the ideas you have put forth but school started for me today so I must be brief, I apologize (I have truly enjoyed this back and forth).

I read a fair amount of that Wash Post article but surely you can see how proving democrat/liberal viewpoints using a democrat/liberal newspaper is sketchy? Honestly that read more like an opinion piece than actual fact (quoting Steven Colbert a liberal comedian who makes fun of conservatives is hardly convincing). I can see how you would take the article the way you did but let me add this: I grew up in Texas and went through public school there. I had an excellent education but when i attended I was a part of a special program for "Talented and gifted" accronym was TAG actually. It was a more challenging track for kids who were needed more than the run of the mill pub ed. This program has long since been labeled discrimination and illegal, by guess who? I already admitted "No child left behind is in an abomination".

I picked the first source that came up. I could have scrolled down and chosen NYtimes. But it was more work. Furthermore this has nothing to do with NCLB, it's a new policy in which the GOP state that they don't want children learning things that might undermind their parent's authority, their religion, etc.

The dutch have some really good ideas including their healthcare system HOWEVER their energy infrastructure/demand is a mere fraction of ours and their culture is far far different and more accepting of the side effects of having a predominantly green society, there's that nasty culture again ruining things.

The Dutch also do not have deserts, windy plains, and a quarter of our territory which is prime for green energy. And how does their culture welcome green energy more than ours? Side effects? The only side effect is that it will create and sustain 4x as many jobs as coal mining and energy....

With all due respect to your Army friend, I know the briefings I saw and I cannot talk about the pictures I saw but I stand by my Iran comments. The WW3 comment was suggestive of them kicking things off with Israel, I think you got that but I wanted to assure my intent. I agree that it would likely started as proxy but can one ever be truly assured that a proxy war will stay a proxy war? I'd rather not bet on a half baked nut like Ahmadinejad. I also realize he only holds part of the decision making but history tells me the Ayatollah's aren't exactly our friends either (a better reason to bite the bullet on coal power until more green energy/nuke reactors can be brought up, consequently I disagree with the clean coal oxymoron bit but we must agree to disagree on this one).

Ok, I really don't care about the Iran topic. There are significantly more evident fears on my mind regarding who is threatening the order of this world, I'll give you a hint, it's not Iran or China though.

As far as war and China: they are the big fish and they have a military fast becoming capable of fighting us toe to toe. Their anti carrier tech is scary as hell and real. Their army numbers make ours look like boyscouts but I question the heart of a forced conscription army, again not a prospect I want to test though.

Large standing armies are irrelevant archaic things that no longer have any worth other than eating a country dry . Furthermore unless suddenly someone creates nuclear fall out radiation scubbing tech ( Like in Ghost in the Shell) a nuclear power will never attack another nuclear power.
The reality is that the Chinese can continue to build up their army and what not. The only thing they will be able to do anything with that is Invade Siberia ( Which in reality is actually a potential).

All that to say this, China is winning the real war going on right now and that is the economic war. They own half our country and they could cripple us right now by attempting to collect their debt as we cannot pay it. But they are making so much money off us and are using it to turbo boost their military, economy, and modernization. My personal fear is eventually they will rather see us ruined than bleed us anymore which really speaks to the importance of securing our own energy sources and paying off the debt stat. The only pitfall for China is that they may have tied themselves to us too much and may follow us off the cliff but again that is hardly a theory I want to test as living in that America would suck ass.

No... no they aren't. China is completely dependent on the US, not the US being dependent on the China. Hell if tomorrow the West weaned itself off of the made in China crap the Chinese would return to being a primarily agrarian society. And again, there is much discontent in China.

So much for my brief response hah. Good talking with ya, feel free to let me what ya think!

To be honest, you're worrying significantly too much about the wrong things. Iran and China are flashy and what not, but they are in no way near as threatening or dangerous as internal threats to the global economy and political system . But I won't bore you with the details.

China is probably the most frightening country out there, because they control the manufacturing of a large majority of all goods. They are exporting and boosting their economy (and not just to the U.S., but worldwide), we are importing and depleting our non-existent funds. Until they have a completely stable economy though they aren't going to try to absorb the U.S., they need us to perfect their economic position and we are giving them plenty! I don't think they would want to see us ruined rather than bleed us, they would much rather bleed us first.

Actually I think a forced conscription army is oftentimes more dangerous than a volunteer-based military. Why? Because war is ALL these soldiers are trained for. They don't get to see their families, they have no other purpose in life, the fact that they were forced into that lifestyle becomes irrelevant.

I'm sure China will take over at some point. Right now though, America still has value to them as we are.

Personally I am voting for Romney. I don't think he's great, but he's certainly got to be better than Nobama, who did, well nothing.

Hilary! I'm joking, obviously, but I would have loved to see '08 go the other way. Obama had ideas, sure, but he has shown that he doesn't have the political savvy to implement them. Clinton has been around the block a few times. Keep Obama around to supply ideas and present an image (something she's not great at) and have her holding the reins and working with Congress.

Who I actually vote for will come down to my residency status when the election rolls around. If it's a cert for the Dems where I end up, I'll probably vote third party because I like the overall platforms better. If there's any chance that Romney might win, I'll vote Obama to prevent that outcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
China is probably the most frightening country out there, because they control the manufacturing of a large majority of all goods. They are exporting and boosting their economy (and not just to the U.S., but worldwide), we are importing and depleting our non-existent funds. Until they have a completely stable economy though they aren't going to try to absorb the U.S., they need us to perfect their economic position and we are giving them plenty! I don't think they would want to see us ruined rather than bleed us, they would much rather bleed us first.

Actually I think a forced conscription army is oftentimes more dangerous than a volunteer-based military. Why? Because war is ALL these soldiers are trained for. They don't get to see their families, they have no other purpose in life, the fact that they were forced into that lifestyle becomes irrelevant.

I'm sure China will take over at some point. Right now though, America still has value to them as we are.

Personally I am voting for Romney. I don't think he's great, but he's certainly got to be better than Nobama, who did, well nothing.

China is nothing but a big PCR machine. Besides, the country has some serious problems in regards to pollution, inequality, brain drain, and aging population.

China is no threat to us.

None of these scumbags are good anyway...I will hold my nose and vote for Obama...I just cant see myself voting for Romney.

Last edited:

China historically has fallen multiple times due to extreme cohesiveness and at it's economic peaks. See Ming, Qing, and Mongol China ( Yuan).

I'm in the mood to discuss religion and politics, but we'll just settle for politics this month. Feel free to explain your reasons here, but please play nice when discussing your political views.

I'm going to vote for Romney. Not that I have a great love for him, but the one thing I agree with Obama about is that it's time for a change. :hungover:

Absolutely NOT romney.

I am an independent black voter, and I will be staying FAR away from the Republican ticket until they can de-latch themselves from those Tea-Party crazies. \

That party morphed into something ugly after Obama was elected and hijacked the Republican party with their shananigans. The Republican party needs to get their head out of their ass.

I live in cali so my vote doesn't really count. But will vote Green party Stein just to keep Obama on the right track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I'm voting for Le Président Barack Obama, because he is clearly ambitious, aligned with the rest of the world, and collected, unlike his waffling opponent goofball, Mitt Romney.

Well, aside from being from Texas, do you have any OTHER reason not to like him?

I'm actually from the progressive bastion of Boulder, CO. As you astutely noted, however, I did end up drifting down to Texas. A job helped.

I have plenty of reasons...some philosophical, some superficial, some probably dumb. I can delve further into my thought process, but I dunno if you're asking in jest or if you really wanna know.

Eh, in jest. I HATE political discussions.

It's like arguing religion. There is rarely any logic or knowledge beheld by either side, so it's a lot like slapping each other with cold fish.

I maintain that the average man or woman not in-the-know do not possess enough information or insight to ever HATE a politician. And most of what we "think" we know about any of those jokers is derived from for-profit news corporations, second-hand bullhonky from people just as dumb as we are, or just plain assumptions.

No. I, for one, can not wait for this election cycle to be over. Then maybe I can put all of this behind me and like half of my facebook friends again.

As an older non-traditional applicant it is very important to me that adequate Graduate medical education funding (GME) is around by the time I finish medical school. Which presidential candidate do you think will be more likely to support GME funding?

Are there any people out there interested in a National Health Service Corps scholarship to help pay for the costs of medical school? There is a major change about to take place with the elimination of the Bush tax cuts that will make the tuition money received from the scholarship taxable. Depending on the medical school you attend to this tax could amount to $30K-$100K for us. This change in taxable status seems to include all military and other health care scholarships (nursing, PA, Optometry, etc).

If the Bush tax cuts are renewed completely then these programs will be renewed as well.

See below:

From the NHSC:
The NHSC wants to make you aware of potential changes to the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) that could affect you if you receive an NHSC scholarship. Currently, the tuition, fees, and other reasonable cost components of the NHSC scholarship award are exempt from Federal income tax (Section 117(c)(2) of the IRC). However, that tax exemption will expire on December 31, 2012 if an extension is not signed into law. If Section 117(c)(2) expires, NHSC scholarship program participants will be responsible for paying the income tax on all portions of the scholarship award received on or after January 1, 2013.

Here is what section 117(c)(2) is all about

117(c)(2)

Expire: 12/31/2012

Description of Provision:
Elimination of tax on awards under the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program and the F. Edward Hébert Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program (Code Sec. 117(c)(2) and §901 of P.L. 107-16)

Termination Term
A termination rule applies to all provisions (not otherwise extended or made permanent) that were enacted in the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 (EGTRRA) (P.L. 107-16). (this was signed by George W. Bush in 2001)

These provisions terminate December 31, 2012, under EGTRRA section 901, as modified by the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (TRUIRJCA) (P.L. 111-312).

Source: http://www.mlbinc.com/news110.htm
As a former NHSC scholar, there is nothing about the linkage you cite which would induce me to vote republican.

Eh, in jest. I HATE political discussions.

It's like arguing religion. There is rarely any logic or knowledge beheld by either side, so it's a lot like slapping each other with cold fish.

I maintain that the average man or woman not in-the-know do not possess enough information or insight to ever HATE a politician. And most of what we "think" we know about any of those jokers is derived from for-profit news corporations, second-hand bullhonky from people just as dumb as we are, or just plain assumptions.

No. I, for one, can not wait for this election cycle to be over. Then maybe I can put all of this behind me and like half of my facebook friends again.

That's cool. I don't hate Obama, I just think he's incompetent.

You mentioned earlier you're a black independent, and you seem to be pretty spunky when it comes to politics. Naturally I read this article the other day, and I wonder if you might have any kind take on it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories...northern-cities-that-have-failed-them-655514/

Incompetent? Ok what makes you think that? Go through the list of the thing s he accomplished past three years and tell me why he is "incompetent."

Incompetent? Ok what makes you think that? Go through the list of the thing s he accomplished past three years and tell me why he is "incompetent."

I mean, do you really wanna know what I think? It will start with me bemoaning some act of his as catastrophic, you'll counter with your belief that the act was in fact a righteous accomplishment, next I'll interrogate what you mean by "accomplishment," and then we'll probably have wildly different notions as to a) what has actually happened, b) what should have happened, and c) why it didn't happen that way. And after digression upon digression upon digression, you'll realize you should have just played FIFA 13 on XBox instead of spending all day deliberating with some noob on SDN.

Your right. I don't have time for some noob that can't even pinpoint to why someone they are so quick to crticize as being incompetent as if you know what it takes to be there

Your right. I don't have time for some noob that can't even pinpoint to why someone they are so quick to crticize as being incompetent as if you know what it takes to be there

Glad to be of service. Now be free

I mean, do you really wanna know what I think? It will start with me bemoaning some act of his as catastrophic, you'll counter with your belief that the act was in fact a righteous accomplishment, next I'll interrogate what you mean by "accomplishment," and then we'll probably have wildly different notions as to a) what has actually happened, b) what should have happened, and c) why it didn't happen that way. And after digression upon digression upon digression, you'll realize you should have just played FIFA 13 on XBox instead of spending all day deliberating with some noob on SDN.

This is everything I hate about political arguments (especially on the internet) and politics in general. Everyone is so convinced they are right, they don't even listen to the other side's argument and instead just keep trying to bulldoze their points across with ever increasing passive aggressiveness. I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't devolved further, having been open for over a month, although there are certainly indications from certain posters that it is starting to slip. I can only imagine if this was posted in the pre-allo or allo forums.

Last edited:
This is everything I have about political arguments (especially on the internet) and politics in general. Everyone is so convinced they are right, they don't even listen to the other side's argument and instead just keep trying to bulldoze their points across with ever increasing passive aggressiveness. I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't devolved further, having been open for over a month, although there are certainly indications from certain posters that it is starting to slip. I can only imagine if this was posted in the pre-allo or allo forums.

This.

This is everything I have about political arguments (especially on the internet) and politics in general. Everyone is so convinced they are right, they don't even listen to the other side's argument and instead just keep trying to bulldoze their points across with ever increasing passive aggressiveness. I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't devolved further, having been open for over a month, although there are certainly indications from certain posters that it is starting to slip. I can only imagine if this was posted in the pre-allo or allo forums.

Yeah, politics eventually bore me. What you say about everyone being convinced they're right--well, what is knowledge? How does one go about acquiring it? Is morality real? If so, whence is it derived? etc., etc. Qs I think you gotta ask before you go around hysterically screaming and demonstrating for "justice" and solidarity, much less demanding that other people get on board with it.

Patience, humility, and reflection haven't been hallmarks of liberals I've been around in my life, so superficially that's probably deterred me from that political POV. Add in the generally mysterious nature of things, and how uncertain I am about what is and what should be, and the whole libertarian streak kinda flared up in me. "Negative liberties" and all the rest of it. The society that lets a man grapple with his own existence, free from the empty phrases and vague, arbitrary ambitions of social justice, is the one I'm a fan of. Doubt to the max.

But I'm open to the idea that suffering the absurdity that is "Hope and Change" might be my existential trial. I'll go along for the ride without getting too down, and I understand people see things differently. They wanna believe and all, but I still think it's dumb.

I'm not to keen on either of the candidates. I have to vote for the Michigan man Romney.

ap_romney_chipotle_605.jpg

The fact Mittens is a Chipotle man goes a long way in shoring up my vote.

Don't know if I will be able to stomach this debate.

I am utterly perplexed that people cannot discern this president's socialistic ideologies. I could see them clearly prior to 2008. There was more than enough back then to demonstrate his anti-Constitutional positions and ideologies. Now, through his presidency, he has definitely demonstrated where his heart lies--and it's not with a free republic, and it certainly isn't with Israel.

Some folks either don't understand different types of socialism, even the "democratic" socialism, or they are in utter denial.

I am going to pre-medicate with Maalox, b/c I know I am going to get agita. Why am I doing this to myself?

Incompetence? Well, it depends on how you look at it. He has been groomed and positioned to do FAR left, socialist bidding--and to move America to being more like Europe. Economically, make people grossly dependent, and completely and pretty much irrepairably destroy the American economic position.

Meanwhile, China is gearing up to be the great economic power.

Four more years of this man and his groomers' and czars' agendas, and stick a fork in this country, b/c it is DONE. That's NOT hyperbole. That IS REALITY, and we need to get real about it.

Last edited:
ap_romney_chipotle_605.jpg

The fact Mittens is a Chipotle man goes a long way in shoring up my vote.

Ha, I wonder how many of them will actually end up voting for him? Not your typical Romney demographic I daresay. ;)

Which brings me to another thing that bugs me about politics. The whole notion of "campaigning" is absurd to me. If you're so easily swayed one way or the other by just meeting the candidate in person and perhaps listening to one of their promise-the-moon speeches (Newt Gingrich promising sub-$2.50/gal gas?), you are probably the poster child for limiting voter registration.

Dude, Obama REFUSES to see the value of creating more jobs (as opposed to $46 million folks on food stamps--and that only scratches the surface of those that have no way of obtaining decent wages in this economy) and how by having MORE people working in fact creates good revenue.

Holy crap. We are in such a freaking mess.

Obama's getting desperate in this debate on the economy. He already went to one blow on Romney--b/c *HORRORS* the man is a business man and is wealthy. God forbid it. Next, he will go to the twist on the 47%. Desperate. . .it's coming. Just wait.

The corporate jet issues is a joke, especially since we paid God knows how much to fly Ms. Obama all over the place. Come on.

Don't know if I will be able to stomach this debate.

I am utterly perplexed that people cannot discern this president's socialistic ideologies. I could see them clearly prior to 2008. There was more than enough back then to demonstrate his anti-Constitutional positions and ideologies. Now, through his presidency, he has definitely demonstrated where his heart lies--and it's not with a free republic, and it certainly isn't with Israel.

Some folks either don't understand different types of socialism, even the "democratic" socialism, or they are in utter denial.

I am going to pre-medicate with Maalox, b/c I know I am going to get agita. Why am I doing this to myself?

Incompetence? Well, it depends on how you look at it. He has been groomed and positioned to do FAR left, socialist bidding--and to move America to being more like Europe. Economically, make people grossly dependent, and completely and pretty much irrepairably destroy the American economic position.

Meanwhile, China is gearing up to be the great economic power.

Four more years of this man and his groomers' and czars' agendas, and stick a fork in this country, b/c it is DONE. That's NOT hyperbole. That IS REALITY, and we need to get real about it.

Calm down, big tuna. Breathe deep. It's only politics. If we go off the pinko cliff, it will be because we chose it. Just enjoy the ride!

Calm down, big tuna. Breathe deep. It's only politics. If we go off the pinko cliff, it will be because we chose it. Just enjoy the ride!

People are choosing what they DON'T UNDERSTAND. In the same manner in which they voted for BO.

We are in SEVERE trouble, and it's not just about politics anymore. If you think it's simply that, wow, you and yours are getting ready to slide into quite a pit.

No one will be perfect, but BO is devastating for all areas in a free market and in a free republic.

BO was groomed to move us, in a major way, toward a socialistic path--whether these folks can justify in their minds as "democratic" socialism or not. The core aspects of socialism are what they are, and they are at odds with a truly free republic and a free market society.

People are choosing what they DON'T UNDERSTAND. In the same manner in which they voted for BO.

We are in SEVERE trouble, and it's not just about politics anymore. If you think it's simply that, wow, you and yours are getting ready to slide into quite a pit.

No one will be perfect, but BO is devastating for all areas in a free market and in a free republic.

BO was groomed to move us, in a major way, toward a socialistic path--whether these folks can justify in their minds as "democratic" socialism or not. The core aspects of socialism are what they are, and they are at odds with a truly free republic and a free market society.

If people choose not to inform themselves, so be it.

You're being histrionic. Don't go histrionic--that's lib, yo.

If people choose not to inform themselves, so be it.

You're being histrionic. Don't go histrionic--that's lib, yo.

Not at all. Freedom is serious stuff. I think so many in this country take it for granted; it's very sad.

You are confusing passion for being histrionic.

To evaluate, I give you Ben Franklin:
"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins."

My reins of reason are held firmly in place, as would not be seen in one that is truly histrionic.:cool:

Clear distinctions are important, and that's nonpartisan, yo.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/passion.html#http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/passion.html#