Technology Which printer for Mac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an all in one printer for my MacBook Air that has a clean, simple interface. One that doesn't require opening proprietary software to function, that doesn't slow you down with extra keyboard clicks for scanning, printing, faxing.

For some reason I'm thinking that some printers require their proprietary software to do these functions. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at a brother 6920 at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

I switched from being an HP fan (since the 1990's) to a Brother fan several years ago and couldn't be happier, anecdotally. (HP quality has gone downhill.) It's my first laser printer (black only), and I'm still on the original toner, with zero smudge or cosmetic or functional issues. I plan on buying a Brother All-In-One color laser device in the future, one with legal document scanning and duplex automatic-document feeder and 2 trays for different sizes. Probably won't go back to inkjet printers unless I do any serious photo printing.

Re: your question, a lot of All-In-One devices have their own proprietary drivers and software, especially for scanning, so it's probably important to do some reading and research before committing. OS X compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have a Canon MF4570dn I believe, this one: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...laser-printers-imageclass/imageclass-mf4570dn I think this particular model isn't made anymore but it's one of their all-in-one B&W Laser ones with built-in network connection.

It does have separate software that you need to install for full use of the network scanning features but the software works well on my mac (Macbook Pro with latest OS X). It's connected to a wireless AP and I can easily copy/print AND wireless scan over the network.

Be careful in looking as when I looked a year or two ago all these all-in-ones advertised scanning but some of them couldn't scan wirelessly over your home network and could only scan if connected via USB.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking for an all in one printer for my MacBook Air that has a clean, simple interface. One that doesn't require opening proprietary software to function, that doesn't slow you down with extra keyboard clicks for scanning, printing, faxing.

For some reason I'm thinking that some printers require their proprietary software to do these functions. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at a brother 6920 at this point.

Without doubt get the EPSON EcoTank. It costs a bit more upfront but the ink is nearly endless. And replacement ink is like 3 bucks versus $60 at HP or Canon. Most printers these days have good features standard such as Wi-Fi, AirPrint, no drivers, double side print, document feeder etc... its best just to go with the cheapest long term option.

Reactions: 1 user
did u choose one? I have the same trouble now, please help( I had the same need, bro. I wanted to buy smth with a simple interface and what can be easily connected with my MacBook Air. My friend suggested me to look over this website mrdepot.ca where I could find quality printers at a good price. These guys offer a bunch of quality and practical printers from famous brands. I saved a lot of money because of their sales and free delivery. I’m 100% happy with my new printer! If u still are looking for a good printer, try to check out this site!

Last edited:
Currently, HP OfficeJet 5255 Wireless All-in-One printer is commonly used here for Macbook

I bought a nice Brother printer about 3 years ago and it worked seamlessly without any software installation on several macbooks. I paid $85 or so for it and while it looks like the same models are $200+ on Amazon, they're still available from the manufacturer for $120.

It's also nice because I bought a 12-pack of off-brand ink (ikong brand on Amazon) for it at the same time for $35, and am still going through it three and a half years later.

I can use the native mac scanning software or have the printer scan directly to my DropBox.