Which prof should I get a LOR from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation for me? I already have one from a professor from whom I took a class called Cell Structure & Function. My options...

1) My bio department research professor; she knows me very well and I am confident she would write me a very thorough and favorable recommendation letter...BUT, I haven't technically taken any classes from her (although the research does show up on my transcript as a course...can I slip by with that?)

2) My plant bio professor; I'm finishing up the class right now and have a very high A, but I do not know the professor personally at all, which would involve a meeting and putting together a resume for him, etc, which is a lot to do with only a few weeks left of class!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have a letter from 2 sci profs, I think it is clear that you should choose the research prof. If you only have that one sci prof, then I would be careful. Some schools are very insistent that you have 2 profs that you had a sci lecture class with (some even require 3). Even though the research appears on your transcript, I dont think it will cut it with the super picky schools as a replacement for a sci prof. Additionally, if you only have 1 letter so far, why not get letters from both professors?

If you already have a letter from 2 sci profs, I think it is clear that you should choose the research prof. If you only have that one sci prof, then I would be careful. Some schools are very insistent that you have 2 profs that you had a sci lecture class with (some even require 3). Even though the research appears on your transcript, I dont think it will cut it with the super picky schools as a replacement for a sci prof. Additionally, if you only have 1 letter so far, why not get letters from both professors?

I only have 1 letter so far...and doesn't AADSAS only take 4 letters? I need 2 science, 1 nonscience (I believe at least Nova requires one), and 1 dentist...that's my four right there. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with your research prof, 2 sci prof, and 1 dentist. Im pretty sure Nova would let it slide if you didnt include that non-sci prof:

"If possible, these letters should be from faculty who know the applicant's scholastic abilities and personal character; otherwise, they should be from individuals (nonrelatives) who can provide an evaluation to the committee on admissions." -Nova website

So, I would just forgo the non-sci prof unless you want to apply to any other schools that absolutely require it. Side Note: Make sure that the schools you are planning to apply to do not absolutely require 3 lecture-based sci profs (e.g., Columbia). Otherwise, I think you should be safe with the aforementioned combo.

i thought 3 LOR is enough.... 4 LOR=advantage?