Which professor LOR would be better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ammonihah99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a good relationship with two professors, one Exercise Science (community college) and one Biomechanics (university), and I think they would give me good, but not amazing LORs. I originally was gunning for them, but really I don't know what kind of LORs they would give me. I am just nervous because they are big time profs and I'm not sure I made enough of an impression on them, and they are busy, etc. But then I have a Physics professor (community college) and a Russian professor (university) that LOVED me, and I am confident that they would give me great LORs. They were smaller classes and I could get to know them better—less competition for attention from other students. I am torn which ones I should choose.

Would decent LORs from two prestigious field-related professors be better than two outstanding LORs from professors not in major?
 
I'd go with the physics one as that is a pre-req, and then whichever of the two bigger profs you think will go better if you need another one. I think a better letter is more important that having it be from a "prestigious" person. Although lets be real someone who teaches biomechanics to undergrads probably isn't that prestigious anyway...go for the best, most sincere letter you can get I say
 
That's the way I am leaning. Do you think that getting the letter from my Russian professor would be a good way of calling attention to the fact that I am bilingual? Or is that not something I should emphasize? I thought about including that in my essay as well, but wasn't sure where I could add it.
 
Well if you were bilingual in Spanish I'd say to push it more than Russian, haha. IDK I think you could go either way on that one. I wouldn't hurt to try to incorporate it somewhere as long as it doesn't look silly.