Which program would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyklm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still tearing my hair out trying to decide my rank order list! What would you choose? (I'm interested in fellowship and possibly research)

Program A: Where I think it's less likely I will be as happy while I'm there, but whose prestige and connections will give me opportunities down the road.

Program B: Less prestigious program (but still v. good) and where I think I'm more likely to be happy, but will have a harder time obtaining fellowship and research opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

jennyklm said:
Still tearing my hair out trying to decide my rank order list! What would you choose? (I'm interested in fellowship and possibly research)

Program A: Where I think it's less likely I will be as happy while I'm there, but whose prestige and connections will give me opportunities down the road.

Program B: Less prestigious program (but still v. good) and where I think I'm more likely to be happy, but will have a harder time obtaining fellowship and research opportunities.

If you're really motivated for research and fellowship you'll find a way to make the connections. It's MUCH harder to "make happiness". I vote for happy. (Especially when it is still "v. good" academically). Of course, you may find happiness in program A after all...

(I'm attending at a "less prestigious" community program. Just heard that 3 of our residents, 2 of them IMGs, matched into very desirable child fellowships. Personally, I feel that "prestige" is WAY overrated.)

OldPsychDoc said:
If you're really motivated for research and fellowship you'll find a way to make the connections. It's MUCH harder to "make happiness". I vote for happy. (Especially when it is still "v. good" academically). Of course, you may find happiness in program A after all...

(I'm attending at a "less prestigious" community program. Just heard that 3 of our residents, 2 of them IMGs, matched into very desirable child fellowships. Personally, I feel that "prestige" is WAY overrated.)

I'm going to second OPD on this one - since at my school the graduates (including IMG's) have gone onto fellowships at Columbia, Hopkins and Yale - (not community based, but is still very small and not prestigious) Its all about happiness. And now Sazi has defined Quality, and OPD has reassured me about research - so I think you should be find jenny at the place you'll be most happy at :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are young, single, with a lot of energy, think about A. If you choose B, you may think for the rest of your career, "Did I underachieve because of my residency choice?"

If you made it through medical school, psychiatry residency is not going to hurt you, too much :p >

Before deciding, if you haven't already, I would suggest getting more information from current residents. If you don't already have a list of e-mails/phone numbers for current residents, I'm sure the program can give you some.

You'll want to get as much info as possible (from multiple viewpoints) on whether or not you will fit in with the residency group and whether you will be likely to have the opportunities that you are looking for.

Ask questions that are detailed, so that a resident doesn't just give you the propaganda speech, like, "what opportunities for (your interest here) have fourth years in the program taken advantage of?", "what fellowships have people from the program been interested in, and where have they gone", "when was the last time you got together with your class as a whole socially and how did you use the time?", "what kind of personality do you think would fit best in the residency?", etc. Also let them know your reservations about the programs and as much about what you are looking for as possible, and they may be able to be more specific with their advice (and ask what their own choices were like, as some may have been faced with similar decisions).

And then, of course, location is key. I'm seeing now that you make a huge number of connections as a resident, which could be important down the road if you want to stay in a particulat city. And can't fail to mention that being near family/friends is a huge morale booster.

Best of luck!