Which programs gave you a thumbs up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChipLeader

All in
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys and gals, we've got about 16 days till ROLs are due and the lack of communication from programs is starting to get to me so I figured why not start a thread.

I've read about the flurry of correspondence that supposedly occurs as the ROL deadline approaches, and though it's still somewhat early, I'm starting to get worried. For those who have gone before, I'm wondering about which programs gave you the thumbs up or "you'll be ranked to match" sign pre-match? Should it be interpreted as a negative sign to have not to heard so much as a peep from a program post-interview? :laugh: Hope not, cause this is the case at a few coveted places for me...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ChipLeader,

I am in exactly the same boat as you. I have heard from one program I would be ranked "highly", one I was in a "strong position", and one "one of our very top ranked applicants." I don't know what to mean of this since it's not the magic YARTM (which I know still could be a lie). All the others I haven't heard a peep from.

I am getting very nervous as well. This is definitely a stressful process!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ChipLeader said:
Okay guys and gals, we've got about 16 days till ROLs are due and the lack of communication from programs is starting to get to me so I figured why not start a thread.

I've read about the flurry of correspondence that supposedly occurs as the ROL deadline approaches, and though it's still somewhat early, I'm starting to get worried. For those who have gone before, I'm wondering about which programs gave you the thumbs up or "you'll be ranked to match" sign pre-match? Should it be interpreted as a negative sign to have not to heard so much as a peep from a program post-interview? :laugh: Hope not, cause this is the case at a few coveted places for me...

ChipLeader is worried??? I can't believe that... Have you e-mailed any programs yourself or are you just waiting for the programs to contact you??

Geez Logos', seems like you had a really stressful match process. You were probably just not that strong of an applicant. :laugh: Seriously, thanks for the reply, fear-inspiring though it may be.

Miko - I guess I wouldn't say I'm worried so much as I'd say that I'm anxious :) I just want this crap to be over with so I don't have to think about it anymore. I didn't contact any programs myself after my interviews until a few weeks ago when I sent my top 3 "I'm still interested, blah blah blah" letters. I guess not hearing anything in response to my letters is what's got me somewhat "anxious" :D

Don't feel bad. I have not had much correspondance other than emails going something like "if you have any more questions let us know", which have been from residents not faculty. I have not gotten any sort of "you are ranked to match"type things.

Writing letters to express interest has been like telling a girl you love her and getting a response like "thats so sweet" or "me too". Although, most of the PD's I interviewed with were firm in saying that they would not pursue contact beyond the interview day and that I should not interpret this as lack of interest. Still, though, I feel like the match is going to take me by surprise, no matter what I write to programs.

hey ChipLeader!
I am glad you started this thread because I am in the same boat. I haven't heard much either. I am now in the process of writing my- your program is sooo great, but it's so hard. I hate it...but i want to match so i guess it has to be done.

Want to hear what's more nerve wrecking? One of my classmates is getting inundated with calls from path programs of how they want him to go to their program. What can I say I'm hatin'.

Good luck everyone

Hmmm, havn't said much in this forum yet. But I've been reading here a lot!

I havn't heard much either....Had 6 Interviews, will rank five, one program sent me a nice Thank you letter! Don't know for sure how to interpret that!

This is absolutely nerve-wracking and I hope to match...

By the way, I am IMG (german) and I guess that's one of the reasons I won't hear much....

Good luck to everybody!

Interviewed at 12 places last year and these are the memories I can conjure up:

Hopkins: Received a call from the PD one night and was told that I was in the top 8 of the rank list which meant that if I would have no problems matching here if I chose to rank Hopkins #1. This was followed up by a FedEx letter from the department chair which basically said that I was ranked to match.

UCSF: Received a call from the PD asking about my interest in UCSF. I told him that I was very much interested and he told me that he would "still hold a spot for me."

Penn: Received a call from the PD saying that the ranking committee "really liked you and you will be ranked highly" and he hoped that I was still interested in doing my residency at Penn.

Chicago: Repeated calls from PD and department chair expressing a high level of interest and solicitations as to where Chicago would fall on my rank list.

Stanford: Heard nothing after the interview.

WashU: Received a letter from one of my interviewers expressing interest and highly encouraging a 2nd visit. I didn't go.

BWH: Received an email from the PD saying something like, "after finishing all our interviews, the faculty and residents were extremely impressed with your application...you remain one of the top contenders for a position in our program...we hope you choose to train here."

MGH: Was told by the PD that I was not ranked to match necessarily but based on their previous experience with regards to how far down they go down their rank list to fill, I would likely match at MGH were I to rank them #1. I would like to also add an anecdote from one of my fellow first-year residents. He apparently was called by the chair telling him that he was ranked #1 on the match list and then proceeded to try to talk him out of ranking BWH ahead of MGH.

Michigan: Received a call from the PD expressing high interest and then he "took off his program director hat" and we discussed the places I was highly interested in. Pretty laid back conversation and I got the scoop from him as to his opinions on the other places I liked. This had minimal impact on my rank order list since basically what he told me was consistent with the impressions I had from visiting the various places.

UCLA: No correspondence after the interview.

UNC: Brief email from PD saying, "Happy New Year...I hope that you are still considering us highly."

Cornell: Don't recall any communications from the PD or the chair there either.

I ranked one other program but nothing pops into mind for that one either.

I did 8 interviews at programs with a range of competitiveness (geography is important to me). I heard back from 3, but only one of those was a response that didn't read like a well-composed form letter. It's too quiet. Why aren't programs begging me to come to their program? I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and gosh darn it people like me!

Gene_ said:
I did 8 interviews at programs with a range of competitiveness (geography is important to me). I heard back from 3, but only one of those was a response that didn't read like a well-composed form letter. It's too quiet. Why aren't programs begging me to come to their program? I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and gosh darn it people like me!

I feel your pain, man. I, too, was hoping for some begging programs. :p It's way too damn quiet. On the bright side, just four short weeks from tomorrow and our fate will be revealed :laugh:.

I've gotten plenty of emails and letters, from PDs as well as residents, but no phone calls... everyone has said variations on "we'd love to have you," but no one has said YARTM. Hmm.. we shall see how it all plays out.

For the non-PhDs, don't let the MD/PhD "I got called!" posting frenzy worry you. There's some of us "plain" MDs around too! ;)

If I can pass Step 3, you will match. And well. You're an SDNer.

I got one call from my top choice, and they sounded like I might as well buy a house already. I got a lovely understated email from South Carolina saying, "You're on our rank list. We only rank people we like."

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
For the non-PhDs, don't let the MD/PhD "I got called!" posting frenzy worry you. There's some of us "plain" MDs around too! ;)

If I can pass Step 3, you will match. And well. You're an SDNer.

I got one call from my top choice, and they sounded like I might as well buy a house already. I got a lovely understated email from South Carolina saying, "You're on our rank list. We only rank people we like."

Personal question deschutes: Was your top choice the same program you're doing your residency now???????
I interviewed there....but never heard anything! Well, well.....they must have interviewed "millions" of applicants....
Maybe I even met you?!?!?!?!

Did you pass step 3??????? I am studying for it right now...trying to get it done before I (hopefully) start with residency.... I just LOVE it (I mean the studying).....superscheisse! (that's german)

t.

deschutes said:

There has been a lot of MD/PhD posting lately. Don't know why.

I also will throw out there, that at least for me, it is much easier to post good news than no news or bad news.

deschutes said:

I think some programs definitely prefer MD/PhDs. I was told by one chair on my interview that 2/3 of their residents are MD/PhDs and he strongly implied that if it was up to him, 100% of the residents would be MD/PhDs. :mad: I found that kind of frustrating. I am an "MD only" but I do have significant research experience, publications and I definitely want to go into academics and do research. I realize that is not equivalent to a PhD but what can I do at this point??? I applied and interviewed at very small number of schools, so I don't know if all pathology programs are like that.

1) Yes :)
2) Entirely possible, though perhaps not probable - since I was only at the U for limited periods of time during interview season. It's usually whoever is on at the U (and usually CP rotations) who take the applicants out.
3) Yes I passed Step 3 thank goodness. Scheisse is right!

tigerduck said:
Personal question deschutes: Was your top choice the same program you're doing your residency now???????
I interviewed there....but never heard anything! Well, well.....they must have interviewed "millions" of applicants....
Maybe I even met you?!?!?!?!

Did you pass step 3??????? I am studying for it right now...trying to get it done before I (hopefully) start with residency.... I just LOVE it (I mean the studying).....superscheisse! (that's german)

Depending on the residency program, it's natural to want MD/PhDs.

Wasn't meaning to sound like I was against MD/PhDs posting - just that readers have to keep in mind that it's not a representative sampling that we have here.

I didn't get the same flurry of attention that Logos' did (wow!) but I did get a couple of enthusiastic yet non-commital emails, and a few calls. The phonecalls happened 2-3 days prior to ROL day, so very last-minute - as if I needed anything else adding to the frenzy of indecision about my list!

miko2005 said:
I think some programs definitely prefer MD/PhDs. I was told by one chair on my interview that 2/3 of their residents are MD/PhDs and he strongly implied that if it was up to him, 100% of the residents would be MD/PhDs. :mad: I found that kind of frustrating. I am an "MD only" but I do have significant research experience, publications and I definitely want to go into academics and do research. I realize that is not equivalent to a PhD but what can I do at this point??? I applied and interviewed at very small number of schools, so I don't know if all pathology programs are like that.
Keep in mind this was one individual at one program. His opinion is not necessarily representative of anyone else, and he's almost certainly not the only voice on the committee, I would think. I worried about this too as an MD-only but now seeing the other side, I have a feeling that we applicants make a much bigger deal out of it than it actually is.

miko2005 said:

This is not uncommon. Pathology chairs, keep in mind, are in general researchers. There are very few pathology chairs (especially at big programs) who are clinically oriented, although they do exist. Pathology chairs have a goal to increase the funding to their program and the prestige, and they think the best way to do this is to bring in researchers as residents. A lot of them care far more for this than they do for resident education. A lot of it, I worry, is simply lip service to the importance of resident education. This may be an overstatement though, as part of their job is to hire people who will make resident education their priority, as happens here. Our director of AP is the chair of the USCAP education committee, and our surg path fellowship director is high up in ASCP education circles.

But bear in mind that for the program director and many others on the residency committee, goals are different. They may be more interested in training diagnosticians and those clinically oriented. Usually there is a mix, the chair will get their way and they will recruit a certain number of researchers, but generally not all of the positions (at least at most institutions).

The problem with what you stated: Translational research, as you refer to, does not bring in as much money as cancer biology, etc. It does, however, bring in prestige and reknown to the department. JHU for example has Epstein and Kurman, among others, who publish mainly based on their consult material and collaborations with researchers.

Personally, I think big name institutions do a disservice to pathology education and the community at large by focusing so much on research. The goal of training future pathologists for the state and their local community should be part of their goal, and not something left to smaller programs.

Thanks for your replies, yaah and cytoborg!!

I am definitely not against MD/PhDs (or their postings), deschutes. In fact, if I had to do it all over again, I would probably do MD/PhD since I really am interested in research, but its really kind of too late for that :) .

I guess I am just feeling the "last few days prior to ROL due" anxiety :D .

I am feeling really really anxious as well.

Just on the flip side of things, I have heard point blank from some programs that I am "too academic," "too interested in research," etc. Maybe I didn't do a good job conveying that I truly am interested in pathology and want to be successful at it, I don't know. One of my interviewers (here at Iowa) said that he thought I would be running back to the lab all the time.

I frequently got comments about my interest in research from interviewers saying that there isn't any time for research in residency and basically discouraging it.

I have gotten a wide variety of responses from programs varying from non-committal "thank you let us know if you have any questions", MUSC's "we are going to rank you" and other such form letters sent out to everyone, a couple that basically said if I rank them #1 I will most likely go there, 2 with no post-interview letters, and one saying they aren't ranking me :( I am confused by all of it.