Which Programs have a 220 (step 1) Cutoff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillindrdude

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering...feel free to post fact and/or speculation...

Members don't see this ad.

chillindrdude said:
just wondering...feel free to post fact and/or speculation...

Don't know for sure, but I guess I'm glad that I scored above 220 on Step 1 though, if it's really that important (although I don't think it is). I remember hearing something last year on this board that most programs will look at your app if you score above 200. Although, I freely admit that this is speculation. Either way, I'd think that your med school, LoRs, and other things in your application are equal in importance to board scores.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
well...obviously....i was just seeing if anyone had any speculation or heard things about particular programs thru the grapevine...

UW-Madison residency director stated that they start at 230s, then work their way down depending on how many people choose to interview there.

I was told by the chair of our anesthesia department that U of Chicago cutoff is 225.

don't know for sure, but I had under 220 for Step I, but a nice step II and have received invites to some of the programs that supposedly only take 220 cutoffs. Hope this helps...

undecided05 said:
don't know for sure, but I had under 220 for Step I, but a nice step II and have received invites to some of the programs that supposedly only take 220 cutoffs. Hope this helps...

I found this to be the case last year too, for a lot of programs step II is as good as step I. They will just pick the higher score and plug it in their cutoff. Or I've heard some will average the two. My Step I was 214 and I was kind of hurting for interviews but when my step II came back in late oct at 240 I got 8 invites the next week.

When I emailed Wake Forest about their program last winter the "person to contact for information", as listed on Freida, stated that they use a USMLE of 230 as a cut off.

I'm not sure about this year, but I had friends with multiple interviews last year at schools which claim a 220 cutoff (and they were below). There are obviously criteria, but most people would/will be pleasantly surprised at the interviews they receive..

Was told directly by UT Houston PD, in the last cycle:

No interview unless USMLE >200

timtye78 said:
Was told directly by UT Houston PD, in the last cycle:

No interview unless USMLE >200

Dr. Katz our chair let all of us MSIIIs know that the cutoff for UT Houstons program was 215 for interview. 210 if you are inbred.

dave262 said:
Dr. Katz our chair let all of us MSIIIs know that the cutoff for UT Houstons program was 215 for interview. 210 if you are inbred.

I heard through the grapevine that Dr. KAtz is leaving the program at UT houston. Is this True?

yes, i am bumping a ~4 year old thread.

I have seen several threads refer to 230+ cutoffs for Step I, but I couldn't find a list when I searched. Any input? Are the above still correct?

yes, i am bumping a ~4 year old thread.

I have seen several threads refer to 230+ cutoffs for Step I, but I couldn't find a list when I searched. Any input? Are the above still correct?

Unfortunately, a lot has changed in the last 4 years. The new unofficial cutoff score is 270. However, if you're from the program, they will cut you some slack and let a 269 slide. good luck. :thumbup:

Well I guess based on my Step 1 score I can tell you which programs didn't have a 220 cutoff as of last year:

Ar-kansas
Baylor
Ochsner
St Luke's Roosevelt
St Vincent's
Texas Tech
U of Louisville
UM Kansas City
UT San Antonio
WVU

Uhh... I'm probably forgetting some more.

And based on my Step 1 scores during interview season 2005-6, some of the institutions with cutoffs clearly take other factors into consideration, or I would not have interviewed there.

Don't close doors on yourself.

And based on my Step 1 scores during interview season 2005-6, some of the institutions with cutoffs clearly take other factors into consideration, or I would not have interviewed there.

Don't close doors on yourself.

I was actually seeing what doors were opened by my Step I.

Unfortunately, a lot has changed in the last 4 years. The new unofficial cutoff score is 270. However, if you're from the program, they will cut you some slack and let a 269 slide. good luck. :thumbup:

Or a 255 if your inbred! Yippee!!