Jul 7, 2013
Status
Anyone know which programs have high linkage rates? Or just a list of linkage programs in general would be amazing. Thanks a ton!

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gonna have to give us more than "programs" here.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are only about 14 of them, so start with the list in the sticky at the top of the forum. Temple is the only one with a bona fide linkage.

OP
W
Jul 7, 2013
Status
Appreciate the advice. This topic? Oddly enough, a couple people told me to specifically ask for you (they all mentioned how helpful you are). :p I think all these programs are pretty damn competitive. If my GPA isn't so hot (like a 2.9), should I try to retake some classes and raise it before applying? Or can I just apply and hope I have a slight chance to get in and see what happens? I just don't know if applying and getting denied is thought of as a negative. Thanks!

Last edited:

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That wasn't the link I had in mind, but it doesn't matter. Read everything. Trust no one.

Things you want to do before applying to an SMP hosted at an MD school:
1. FIX ANY AND ALL PROBLEMS that led to your low GPA. No wishing, no hoping, no magic beans. You have to be be ready for med school, because that's what an SMP is. If you haven't pulled a 3.7+ full time semester of mostly hard science, you're not going to do well in an SMP, which means you waste about $50k and a year, and you all but end your med school plans.
2. Get your cumulative undergrad GPA up over 3.0, if that can be done in up to 2 years.
3. Get a competitive MCAT score. Retakes are to be avoided.
4. Complete a compelling med school app, including substantial clinic exposure, volunteering, recommendation letters and presentation/essay skills. You don't have time to work on any of these during an SMP.
5. Study (not by asking for answers, but by STUDYING by READING THINGS about) the programs that might meet your needs. You cannot count on anybody to answer your questions - you have to go after the info by doing WORK that takes dozens of hours.

Retaking coursework does not affect your GPA for MD schools, but DO schools will forgive the previous grade.

Best of luck to you.

OP
W
Jul 7, 2013
Status
Thanks for the step by step! This is going to be a long, awful road, lol...

vanillasky123

7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2011
Status
Is getting a MCAT score before applying for SMP really that important? I don't feel prepared to take the MCAT in time for SMP applications so I'd rather take the GRE. Am I lowering my chances substantially by doing that?

Jul 7, 2013
Status
Is getting a MCAT score before applying for SMP really that important? I don't feel prepared to take the MCAT in time for SMP applications so I'd rather take the GRE. Am I lowering my chances substantially by doing that?
I'd say the majority require an MCAT. Also, you can't get into medical school without taking it, and you cannot take it during the smp (would literally be impossible). So either way you're going to need that extra year. Or you could just start studying now, take it in three months and send out an application in feb or march and this could theoretically get you a 2015 medical school acceptance. Basically if you don't want to take the time to prep for the mcat then you shouldn't be applying to these programs. I'm in one now and they are more work/stress than you could possibly imagine (also I didn't apply early). Hope that helps, good luck with your stuff I know how stressful this process is.

vanillasky123

7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2011
Status
I'd say the majority require an MCAT. Also, you can't get into medical school without taking it, and you cannot take it during the smp (would literally be impossible). So either way you're going to need that extra year. Or you could just start studying now, take it in three months and send out an application in feb or march and this could theoretically get you a 2015 medical school acceptance. Basically if you don't want to take the time to prep for the mcat then you shouldn't be applying to these programs. I'm in one now and they are more work/stress than you could possibly imagine (also I didn't apply early). Hope that helps, good luck with your stuff I know how stressful this process is.
Thanks for the insight. It's just that I have a whole summer free in between graduating and starting a SMP so I feel like I could better prepare then instead of spring semester when I'm trying to finish my reqs for graduating. Basically, I'm not sure if its worth risking a high 20s-low 30s score now when I know I can do better later since I know its not good to take the MCAT too many times.