Which school for animal science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adajori

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at going to Wyoming or St Paul for Animal Science before applying at Vet school. Which do you think I should focus more on?
Thanks!!
Alex

Members don't see this ad.

Well, by going to St Paul you could potentially do some networking with people in the vet school, but the most two important things which will have much more bearing on your ability to become a happy, successful vet are the following:
1. Where will you be happier (and therefore more likely to get good grades and stick to your plan)? Proximity to family and friends, school environment, etc.
2. Which school will put you in less debt? Unless your parents are very rich, you are looking at a huge amount of debt for vet school (probably $100K-$225K unless you are in-state at one of the cheap vet schools), and adding substantial loans will make it that much more burdensome once you are out of vet school and making not very much money.

To add to what even said, you need to go where you will do well. Whether this means happiness, friends, location- where you will do well will get you into vet school. You don;t even need to be an animal science major. You can do bio, chem, music, arabic-whatever, as long as you finish pre-reqs. Go where you will a) have less debt, b) will be happy and do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't pick the school based on the quality of the animal science program - pick based on which school you like best overall. Either school will work fine, so focus on social and financial aspects first.

I just finished a second bachelor's degree at Wyoming (in Animal and Veterinary Sciences). [I'm originally from Chicago, so I know about OOS tuition, Wyoming vs. midwest, and am familiar with the classes and department you're looking at, etc.] PM me if you have questions. :)

I was given a full ride to a school (a pretty easy school) and I decided to go to a more challenging school. I really regret it! I wish I had just gone to the school where I could have kept a higher GPA. Go to the school where you won't be as stressed