**Which school had the best lunch?**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be interesting to see which schools everyone thought had the best lunches for the interview day. Thoughts?? I figured it's also something to factor in for choosing a school, since we'll be eating there for four years. ;)

I'll go first: Temple, because they had decent sushi, and had pretty good options to choose from (Einstein Bros Bagel, burrito stand, soups)

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be interesting to see which schools everyone thought had the best lunches for the interview day. Thoughts?? I figured it's also something to factor in for choosing a school, since we'll be eating there for four years. ;)

I'll go first: Temple, because they had decent sushi, and had pretty good options to choose from (Einstein Bros Bagel, burrito stand, soups)

OMG Temple gave you Sushi???

I should've applied to Temple lol

Haha yeah, they totally had sushi rolls to choose from! I got a california, spicy shrimp and cucumber, and crab salad combo.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC: No Lunch, only donuts while you waited in between interviews and during presentations
Iowa: Traditional Lunch: Salad, Fruit, Sandwiches, cookies and brownies
Marquette: Panera Bread sandwiches, ceasar salad, desserts :)
SIU: Nothing, but the interviews were scheduled all day, not as a group, so I guess the short interviews didn't call for much in the way of food
Indiana: Quiznos Box Lunches (provided by the Air Force), and the army even provided breakfast and deli sandwhich for lunch on the 2nd day for the two day interview.
Michigan: Deli Sandwiches, with a fruit salad, and dessert options (Disappointed because the interviews were before lunch and the interviewers got to have Jimmy Johns while they interviewed us, all 10 of them)

After seeing this, I really wished I applied to Temple as well, damn Sushi!!

VCU gave our student interviewer a card that they could charge as much as we wanted on it. They just finished a brand new cafeteria that is huge and has almost anything that you want. I had a Prime Rib Sandwich with their personally made bbq sauce and potato chips and then made a trip to the bakery and was able to choose from over 20 different desserts. It was a good lunch!

UIC: No Lunch, only donuts while you waited in between interviews and during presentations
Iowa: Traditional Lunch: Salad, Fruit, Sandwiches, cookies and brownies
Marquette: Panera Bread sandwiches, ceasar salad, desserts :)
SIU: Nothing, but the interviews were scheduled all day, not as a group, so I guess the short interviews didn't call for much in the way of food
Indiana: Quiznos Box Lunches (provided by the Air Force), and the army even provided breakfast and deli sandwhich for lunch on the 2nd day for the two day interview.
Michigan: Deli Sandwiches, with a fruit salad, and dessert options (Disappointed because the interviews were before lunch and the interviewers got to have Jimmy Johns while they interviewed us, all 10 of them)

After seeing this, I really wished I applied to Temple as well, damn Sushi!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: That is such an awesome, detailed response! I'm glad to see someone who takes their interview food seriously. Jimmy Johns would've been nice for the interviewees. Panera is a good choice!

Columbia had the classiest lunch by far. NYU--take whatever you want from their cafe--was great too.

VCU gave our student interviewer a card that they could charge as much as we wanted on it. They just finished a brand new cafeteria that is huge and has almost anything that you want. I had a Prime Rib Sandwich with their personally made bbq sauce and potato chips and then made a trip to the bakery and was able to choose from over 20 different desserts. It was a good lunch!

Wow! Prime Rib...nice! :thumbup:

Honestly, I thought OSU was even better than Columbia's.

There was sushi?? When I interviewed, I only remember seeing two places opened, the bagels and the burritos. I wasn't fond of the burrito though it was MASSIVE. The kind where you needed a fork to eat.

Of the schools I interviewed at, NYU had one of the nicest lunches by far!

It was an open style cafeteria where we could choose absolutely anything we wanted, and however much.

They had steak sandwiches, wrapped sandwiches, burgers, fries, chips, salads, deli, grill. A very nice selection!

And drinks were great too! I was surprised they offered Martinelli's apple juice in miniature glass bottles! :)

Michigan, Minnesota had nice deli style lunches. Sandwiches, chips, and a Coke beverage or water. It seemed traditional, and nice. :D

NYU, Minnesota, and Michigan offered a morning breakfast snack.

UF was interesting, they had beef stroganoff, steamed veggies, chocolate cake, water. It really seemed like some kind of home cooked menu, and it was nice. :)

Creighton did not offer anything for a lunch or refreshments, I think because the whole day lasted 1-2 hours, and the day began at about 3pm. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it was hands down Pitt - amazing brunch buffet. We even had a fricken waffle maker bar with strawberry, peach, and blueberry toppings at the interview last week.

When I went to my Columbia interview, we got like a cold sandwich, so it sounds like they've improved!

at my columbia interview last year i think we had broiled salmon with caprese salad + other gormet items.
at another school (to remain unamed) we had luke-warm KFC :barf:

at my columbia interview last year i think we had broiled salmon with caprese salad + other gormet items.

:laugh:

I hope it was served before the interview at least.

Personally, I would steer clear of greasy foods on a day like that; they seem to upset me stomach during important times. :p

NYU definitely... I thought it was so cool we could take whatever we wanted :D the lunch made up for me having a hard interview with the psychologist...

:laugh:

I hope it was served before the interview at least.

Personally, I would steer clear of greasy foods on a day like that; they seem to upset me stomach during important times. :p

Seriously. Would it be inappropriate to leave the interview to have diarrhea if it resulted from the lunch provided from the school?

Honestly, I thought OSU was even better than Columbia's.

I'd have to disagree, IMO both were awesome but I loved Columbia's even more. That wild rice was AMAZING. :love:

Louisville- Deli sandwiches. I had Chicken Salad and it was delicious :)
UConn- We got a vocher (i forget the amount, but it was plenty). Tons of choices. I chose a buffalo chicken wrap and had cherry cobbler with whipped cream for dessert. Definitely one of the better ones! :thumbup:
UNC- no lunch, but a continental breakfast. Pizza at social the night before.
Pacific- got to choose from the meal of the day (which happened to be enchiladas on my day) and deli or salad. Also got a brownie or cookie.
Columbia- Good, classy lunch. Everything from the salmon/lamb to the soup/salad was really delicioius.
OSU- also a really good banquet-like meal. Pasta. It was nice to have the Columbia and OSU meals on 2 consecutive days :laugh:
Meharry- lunch was good. chicken, salad, and boiled potatoes (which were really good) and steamed veggies complete with sweet tea!
Maryland- Deli sandwiches but options ranged from turkey to gyros. I chose chicken salad again, which was also good but overshadowed by the tangy-sweet DELICIOUS pasta salad. Also got a brownie.
Howard- no lunch. Granola bar and Juice for a snack.

This thread was a great idea lol Overall, I was impressed by most of the lunches served! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: NOVA update to come... lol

I'd have to disagree, IMO both were awesome but I loved Columbia's even more. That wild rice was AMAZING. :love:

Louisville- Deli sandwiches. I had Chicken Salad and it was delicious :)
UConn- We got a vocher (i forget the amount, but it was plenty). Tons of choices. I chose a buffalo chicken wrap and had cherry cobbler with whipped cream for dessert. Definitely one of the better ones! :thumbup:
UNC- no lunch, but a continental breakfast. Pizza at social the night before.
Pacific- got to choose from the meal of the day (which happened to be enchiladas on my day) and deli or salad. Also got a brownie or cookie.
Columbia- Good, classy lunch. Everything from the salmon/lamb to the soup/salad was really delicioius.
OSU- also a really good banquet-like meal. Pasta. It was nice to have the Columbia and OSU meals on 2 consecutive days :laugh:
Meharry- lunch was good. chicken, salad, and boiled potatoes (which were really good) and steamed veggies complete with sweet tea!
Maryland- Deli sandwiches but options ranged from turkey to gyros. I chose chicken salad again, which was also good but overshadowed by the tangy-sweet DELICIOUS pasta salad. Also got a brownie.
Howard- no lunch. Granola bar and Juice for a snack.

This thread was a great idea lol Overall, I was impressed by most of the lunches served! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: NOVA update to come... lol

But the OSU cupcakes were so delicious!!!!

Omg... at buffalo, they had these weird roast beef sandwiches, their bread was basically a salted-pretzel.... it was soooooo good. I had 3 (yeh Im a fat ass). And the chewy chocolate chip cookies? are you kidding me, I am getting hungry right now

Either I was kinda nervous or hopped up on coffeeso didn't get to really enjoy. But ucsf had a good selection of breakfast. And pizza at the end baby haha

Omg... at buffalo, they had these weird roast beef sandwiches, their bread was basically a salted-pretzel.... it was soooooo good. I had 3 (yeh Im a fat ass). And the chewy chocolate chip cookies? are you kidding me, I am getting hungry right now

You actually liked that bread?!?!? It was beyond salty! I had to scrape off all the salt before I could even bite. Even then, I forced myself to finish the sandwich!

Anyhow, Columbia by far had the best lunch.

UT Memphis: Chicken breast, rolls, veggies
UNLV: Chicken or beef fajitas, chocolate cake
Case: Voucher for anything in the cafeteria
MWU-AZ: Voucher for anything in the cafeteria
Indiana: No lunch (interview day done before lunchtime)

Hey there! ... just wanted to say that I LOVE your avatar :laugh:

I had to go to the doctor after my UF interview because I was feeling a little under the weather. Turns out the chocolate cake induced diabetes. jk but that cake must have had at least 1 kilo of pure sugar in the icing alone :D

You actually liked that bread?!?!? It was beyond salty! I had to scrape off all the salt before I could even bite. Even then, I forced myself to finish the sandwich!

Yeah, there was just so much salt on it.

Yeah, there was just so much salt on it.

Haha I can't believe Buffalo made this list. They had the worst lunch by far! Plus we had to eat it in the same place we had waited all morning.
Other pretty gross lunches include UNLV and USC (which I believe served quizno's)
I liked NYU's (choose what you want) and Tufts (lots of good sandwiches).

When I'm in dental school I'm def gonna go talk to future candidates just for the free lunches! (assuming I'm at one of the "good lunch" schools!)

In Oklahoma they gave us southern style BBQ and sweet tea =). Most of the interviewers told us to take the food into the interview too!

NYU had the best lunch by far. Fresh made panini? Hells yes
Midwesterns cafe was kinda small and had a pretty small selection, though they did have the best breakfast of any school I went to.
USC was pretty good. quizno's lunches.

These have been awesome responses so far! I figured since things have calmed down a bit on SDN, I would revive this thread for more feedback. Also, those who have been on post-Dec interviews should share as well.

Columbia for sure!!! I mean, grilled SEA BASS, lamb chops, white asparagus, salmon, to name a few??? Not to mention the water was served in wine glasses or something like that, haha.

NYU---the BEST lunch seriously. The selection was amazing---Hamburgers, steaks, grilled salmon, sushi, salads, soups..pretty much get whatever you want from their cafeteria (which is super nice by the way)...they really like to show off...and yes...amazing Lunch hands down NYU...

OSU by far!! Uconn had some decent cafeteria food though

dude. Columbia. They had steak. I took 2 pieces. Oh and salmon too. MMM MMM GOOD.