which school? my chances? master program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santal907

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys,

I am wondering which schools you'd suggest to apply with my situation.

GPA: 2.95 i know it's low...
DAT: 1st and 2nd
Bio 17/20
GC 17/20
OC 17/19
PAT 21/21
QR 19/17
RC 15/16
AA 17/18
TS 17/20

I showed improvement in the science area but not much in RC and QR. :(
i focused only on the science. I'm seriously thinking about retake.

im applying to ASDOH, BU, NYU, Case, USC, UOP, Western, loma linda,
and...UCLA and UCSF just because im from CA. But im thinking about taking both of them out since i have no chance to get in.
any suggestion?

I saw a lot of comments about a master program for people with low GPA. But my school's master program requires over 3.0 GPA. are most master programs like this? if so, how can people with below 3.0 GPA take a master program?

Can you guys tell me more about a master program?
like..
is it different from post bac? is it better than post bac?
how much does it cost? can i get help from finantial aid?
how can i apply? through AADSAS? how does the process go?
where are they? which one do you recommend?

im going crazy here..
im ready to send my application.
but im not sure i have any chance..
please help me with your suggestion and comments

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
well I haven't applied yet but I have read a lot of similar stories so here's what I have heard.

With a 2.95 GPA you would need 22+ on your DAT. This depends also if you have an upward or downward trend, obviously an upward trend would look stellar with a 23 AA / TS.

You could try the UCSF/SDSU post-bacc program. I think their minimum GPA requirement is about a 2.5

Here's a site about SMP'S (Small Master's Program)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

good luck to you and stay hungry! :)

Remember, most people that are on this forum are not the average applicant so you will see a lot more people with 24s and 3.8s than there really are in the applicant pool. Be ready for an onslaught of discouraging remarks because of your GPA, but in my opinion you still have a fighting chance. I've said it before..."if the average GPA of the enrolled class is 3.4, that means that there could possibly be as many people with 2.95s as there are 4.0s." People have made it in with similar stats before so as long as you apply smart it is possible. As someone said before, an upward trend is very good. Check out the stats on predents (although since it is not complete data it might not be totally accurate) and from ADEA.

Paging Doc Toothache (those stats are listed in his signature)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a buddy who got in this year with a 2.9 sGPA to NYU. It was his 3rd time applying! My suggestion: move to Kentucky and establish residency!

well I haven't applied yet but I have read a lot of similar stories so here's what I have heard.

With a 2.95 GPA you would need 22+ on your DAT. This depends also if you have an upward or downward trend, obviously an upward trend would look stellar with a 23 AA / TS.

You could try the UCSF/SDSU post-bacc program. I think their minimum GPA requirement is about a 2.5

Here's a site about SMP'S (Small Master's Program)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

good luck to you and stay hungry! :)

I researched the UCSF/SDSU post-bacc program before. I heard it is mostly for minorities and people with disadvantages. and although there are thousands applicants, they only pick around 100 people...

Do you know anything about a master program?
is it like going to a graduate school?
So you need to take GRE and stuff..?

I have a buddy who got in this year with a 2.9 sGPA to NYU. It was his 3rd time applying! My suggestion: move to Kentucky and establish residency!

3rd time..wow..lots money there....
what were his/her DAT scores and extracuriculm experience?

and thank you for your replies!!!

There are many good masters programs: BU, Tulane (probably the best in my opinion), Nova, New Jersey, Columbia, Indiana, Barry, etc. Some programs may say they only accept MCAT scores, but if you call and ask most will accept the DAT. But yeah, I do think with your GPA you really should do a masters program unless you can get a 20 or better AA and TS. Good luck.

There are many good masters programs: BU, Tulane (probably the best in my opinion), Nova, New Jersey, Columbia, Indiana, Barry, etc. Some programs may say they only accept MCAT scores, but if you call and ask most will accept the DAT. But yeah, I do think with your GPA you really should do a masters program unless you can get a 20 or better AA and TS. Good luck.

what about a post-bacc program?

Post Bacc programs are good too. However with your GPA you have a good chance to get into a master's program which will look much better. Honestly in my opinion you still have a shot with a 2.95 GPA but you just need to retake the DAT and rock it. (22+ as mentioned earlier) I think you can still take it by the end of July. This gives you almost two months to buckle down and really study for it. Also since you have taken it twice you already have a good sense of how the test is like (unlike me). Good luck and PM me with any more questions.

O I just noticed too that your RC is kinda low. I know this section is very important and with a below average GPA they might not overlook that. I strongly recommend retaking the DAT if you are still planning to go for this cycle.

I still think you should go for a Masters program vs. post-bacc. With your DATs if you do well in a Masters program you will get into multiple schools. If you do well at a post bacc for a year that still might not do the job unless you get your DAT up to a 20 or better AA and TS. Regardless, I would still retake the DAT and see if you can get your AA and TS up.

I think with a sub-3.0 GPA and CA residency, your chances are not looking good. I vote for doing a post bacc, not Masters. There are a lot out there. Good job on raising your scores, but your RC definitely needs to be better. I doubt Case, or any school for that matter, would like it (in context to your GPA of course).