Which school to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medschoolornah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Touro Harlem or KCUMB

Kcu's 1 month summer worries me in terms of research, and the fact that u may not get the rotation spot u want.

But I'm leaning kcu otherwise.

Any opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Touro Harlem or KCUMB

Kcu's 1 month summer worries me in terms of research, and the fact that u may not get the rotation spot u want.

Any opinions.

Can you list of some pros and cons for Touro Harlem as well? It'll give us a better perspective for what you are focused on.

The 1 month only summer block is frustrating but it hasn't stopped many (including me) to continue on with research projects. Be successful in your first few blocks here (B+/A- is the range for most in the top 1/3-1/4) and then find a research mentor at KCU. You can also look at KU, UMKC, Stowers Medical Research Institute.

Reactions: 1 user
Touro Harlem or KCUMB

Any opinions.
What were ur stats for getting accepted? Just curious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Touro Harlem or KCUMB

Any opinions.

Are you guaranteed to get the rotation spot you want at Touro Harlem?

Are you guaranteed to get the rotation spot you want at Touro Harlem?

i think the rotations are dispersed at harlem

Can you list of some pros and cons for Touro Harlem as well? It'll give us a better perspective for what you are focused on.

The 1 month only summer block is frustrating but it hasn't stopped many (including me) to continue on with research projects. Be successful in your first few blocks here (B+/A- is the range for most in the top 1/3-1/4) and then find a research mentor at KCU. You can also look at KU, UMKC, Stowers Medical Research Institute.

i guess the longer summer and location. but since u say research is doable that is reassuring. i just wish we could for sure pick our top choice rotation spot at kcu, but that is not a point of comparison since the rotations are not a year long site anyway at harlem

What were ur stats for getting accepted? Just curious!

pmed

Personally when I was considering what school to attend, I was deciding on what place would make me feel the most at home and happy. I recommend you think about where you can see yourself being happy.

Regarding research. If you want to do it, then you'll be able to find a mentor in KC to help accomplish it. But the question is honestly more about whether or not you will after 10 months of medical school you'll want to spend your 1 month off working and specifically for a project you'll potentially have limited exposure to in terms of finishing. I think when considering that I wouldn't believe KCU to be the most welcoming to doing research your first year summer. That being said, we have so much elective room that it's not difficult to audition and do a ton of research rotations successfully.

Personally when I was considering what school to attend, I was deciding on what place would make me feel the most at home and happy. I recommend you think about where you can see yourself being happy.

Regarding research. If you want to do it, then you'll be able to find a mentor in KC to help accomplish it. But the question is honestly more about whether or not you will after 10 months of medical school you'll want to spend your 1 month off working and specifically for a project you'll potentially have limited exposure to in terms of finishing. I think when considering that I wouldn't believe KCU to be the most welcoming to doing research your first year summer. That being said, we have so much elective room that it's not difficult to audition and do a ton of research rotations successfully.

Is the clinical curriculum on their site correct? I know second year is off, just curious about 3 and 4. http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/college-of-osteopathic-medicine/curriculum/

Why is second year off o_O

It hasn't been updated to reflect the new curriculum. If you look at first year, you can see MED118 is neuroscience 1.... you can see on year 2 neuro 1 is the first block. I don't think you take neuro 1 twice. A KCU student earlier had said it wasn't updated for 2nd year somewhere in the 2015-2016 thread too

Problem solved!

Have you considered making a "DO school by type of food" list to help struggling students make their decisions? I imagine it would cut down on your time spent responding to the "Help me choose" posts haha

Members don't see this ad :)
It hasn't been updated to reflect the new curriculum. If you look at first year, you can see MED118 is neuroscience 1.... you can see on year 2 neuro 1 is the first block. I don't think you take neuro 1 twice. A KCU student earlier had said it wasn't updated for 2nd year somewhere in the 2015-2016 thread too

I see.

We have Neuro 1 in the spring and we have Neuro 2 in the second year fall.

Both are good quality schools. You have to consider cost of attendance, quality of life (tiny apt vs larger apt/house, more free money, places to spend it)

Personally I'd go central and away from the snow

Go KCU. Has a better reputation than Touro-Harlem. Also heard clinicals are lacking at Touro.

Touro Harlem for me only because I want to practice in the Northeast. Both are great schools, good luck with your choice OP! You can't go wrong with either.

Yeah, KCU is a wise choice. You couldn't pay me enough to be stuck living in NYC for at least 2 years...