Which "school" would you go to? Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose

• I would choose the semi-prestigious school.

Votes: 67 38.5%
  • I would take the cheap in state school.

Votes: 74 42.5%
  • I would even pick my cheap in-state school over the best schools in the nation, because debt sucks.

Votes: 50 28.7%

• Total voters

millepora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious what everyone else would do...

If you came to the end of the admissions cycle and you were sitting on two acceptances. One for your state school, and one from a more prestigious school, which would you choose?

I am not talking really prestigious...like Harvard, JH, Duke, etc.

Examples of fairly prestigious school.
(Georgetown, UVa, Wake Forest....)

Or a state school that charges 10-12k a year, which really isn't well known.

Advantages to a good name- you might have a better shot at a better residency coming from a better school. You would get a more challenging curriculum, and cover more material. Probably more state of the art equipment. You would get to tell anyone who asked in the future where you went...lol.

Advantage to in state school- you save yourself 30k a year, which is 120k for a 4 year education.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would remove Emory from your list - they're really prestigious IMO and I think a lot of others would agree.

For me, it would depend on fit, but the $$$ is hard not to follow in this scenario.

lucky for me, my state school is a top 20 school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Once I got into cheap schools, I gave up trying to get into "better" schools. I wasn't quite sure what the other schools had that warranted 2-3x higher tuition.

Ill take less debt over anything emory, hopkins u name it. Though my state schools being that im a CA resident range from semi to very prestigious but nonetheless low tuition >>>>>>>patting your ego as you tell people you graduated from emory.

I would choose the state school. Many state medical schools are already considered "fairly prestigious".

I've never heard of even public medical schools charging 10-12k/yr for tuition, though. That seems to be a really low tuition.

I would allways go for the lowest cost schools. It could be Hopkins vs. no-name and if no-name gave me a better offer I'd go for it and never look back.

In the event of a ~tie location is the tie breaker.

I would choose the state school. Many state medical schools are already considered "fairly prestigious".

I've never heard of even public medical schools charging 10-12k/yr for tuition, though. That seems to be a really low tuition.
There are 9 public schools in Texas that cost under $12,000 (including fees)

If you came to the end of the admissions cycle and you were sitting on two acceptances. One for your state school, and one from a more prestigious school, which would you choose?

(Penn State, UVa, Wake Forest....)

Advantages to a good name- you might have a better shot at a better residency coming from a better school. You would get a more challenging curriculum, and cover more material. Probably more state of the art equipment. You would get to tell anyone who asked in the future where you went...lol.

Advantage to in state school- you save yourself 30k a year, which is 120k for a 4 year education.

Penn State = semi-prestigious?

(Penn State, UVa, Wake Forest....)

If you get a better specialty due to school prestige (which isn't necessarily the case but nonetheless lets take that as a hypothetical situation) it will have ended up being the better investment because you could be making up to $300,000 more a year depending on your specialty. Pediatrics vs. Neurosurgery and there are many other specialties. I don't think you should sacrifice an education for money, even though times are tough some things you just cannot put a price on. Take my opinion with a "grain-of-salt" because I have an extreme bias, my parents make enough to pay for med-school and much more. I just think that the better education would pay off in the long run.

If you get a better specialty due to school prestige (which isn't necessarily the case but nonetheless lets take that as a hypothetical situation) it will have ended up being the better investment because you could be making up to $300,000 more a year depending on your specialty. Pediatrics vs. Neurosurgery and there are many other specialties. I don't think you should sacrifice an education for money, even though times are tough some things you just cannot put a price on. Take my opinion with a "grain-of-salt" because I have an extreme bias, my parents make enough to pay for med-school and much more. I just think that the better education would pay off in the long run.

I doubt it would be a huge salary or residency difference by settling with a state school than an ok prestigious one. We're not talking about Caribbean schools here, which would severely affect someone wanting to match into something like neurosurgery, we're talking about public U.S. medical schools. You're not going to take a huge cut in quality of medical education just because you settled for the University of Maryland instead of Wake Forest.

You basically get the same education from a state medical school as you do an Ivy-Leaguer; it's not the same disparity in quality as in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly not on the level of WF and UVA, I would say.

That was my point. From a "name-only" standpoint, Penn State is very well known for football, undergraduate studies, and partying. Medical school...not so much. Solid mid-tier school if I remember the rankings correctly, not to mention the fact that it isn't a state school.

That was my point. From a "name-only" standpoint, Penn State is very well known for football, undergraduate studies, and partying. Medical school...not so much. Solid mid-tier school if I remember the rankings correctly, not to mention the fact that it isn't a state school.

Penn State's not a state school? :confused:

Ill take less debt over anything emory, hopkins u name it. Though my state schools being that im a CA resident range from semi to very prestigious but nonetheless low tuition >>>>>>>patting your ego as you tell people you graduated from emory.

yeah, then you can stroke your ego later in life by being able to afford whatever the hell you want :p (actually, i'm kind of serious)

it would def. be a tough call for me... luckily i LOVED both of my state schools when i interviewed so if they miraculously decide to accept me and pony up some money, i'm as good as there!

i chose cheap instate school
but only under the assumption that you're comfortable there

if you absolutely cannot stand the idea of attending the school, then i would have to say go to the school you like

but if you actually like both schools, you'll do just fine at the state school.

Cali res here...and enjoying every minute of UCSD SOM

No, it isn't; Pennsylvania has no state medical schools unless they are considering the (new) Commonwealth Medical College one.

I'm verrrry sure Temple and Penn State are PA's public schools. Pitt med I am not so sure. I don't have the MSAR with me to check right now. TCMC is private.

I'm verrrry sure Temple and Penn State are PA's public schools. Pitt med I am not so sure. I don't have the MSAR with me to check right now. TCMC is private.

Temple Penn St and Pitt undergrads are public schools. Med Schools of all are private. They do all get a little bit of money from PA (as does Penn) but they are still private for MD

Temple Penn St and Pitt undergrads are public schools. Med Schools of all are private. They do all get a little bit of money from PA (as does Penn) but they are still private for MD

:eek: Then what schools do PA residents get favored at if they don't get preference at these schools?

:eek: Then what schools do PA residents get favored at if they don't get preference at these schools?

those schools, i'm pretty sure. maybe not as heavily as, say, MA residents are favored at UMass, but they still get some help AFAIK.

Penn state IS tuition is 25k/year, and OOS is 45/year. Though they are not fully state funded, they must be semi with these gaps.

I changed it to georgetown...lol.

I thought Temple was a private school.

Cheap tuition >>> name

Med school is all about how hard you work, the only reason school might matter is if the people at that school are well known in their field and their letters of recommendation get you connections at residency programs. No residency is going to base their decision on your school.

And (being a PA resident) I'm verrrrrry sure that they are not PA's public schools (in the sense of being "state schools"); they are land-grant universities. That means they receive some funding from the state while having autonomy as to how they run their schools.

That, and I'm paying out the wazoo to go to one of them, so they definitely aren't funded by the state to make my education much cheaper than OOS students, nor do they give a wide berth of preference to IS applicants.

I thought Temple was a private school.

^^^

Last edited:
I don't get it. So now I am finding out that there are schools that are more public than others. If PSU is a semi-public medical school, what's an example of a fully public school?

I don't get it. So now I am finding out that there are schools that are more public than others. If PSU is a semi-public medical school, what's an example of a fully public school?

UMDNJ - NJMS, RWJ, University of Florida, etc

UC's, SUNY's.

If any of the fourteen SSHE schools in Pennsylvania had a medical school (Lock Haven, West Chester, etc.), then you'd have your fully-public Pennsylvania state medical school. The rest are just private or land-grant schools.

i would go to any school that wants me. and the more prestigious the better, it costs almost the same for me everywhere since i am international... right?

Reactions: 1 user
How you should base your decision:

1. Did I like school X during my interview? (can I see myself being happy here)
2. Location - close to family/north (i like snow)/south (omg there is no snow)
3. Debt - The cheaper the better
100000000. Is this a "prestigious" school? (whatever prestigious means...haha)
100000001. Is the "match list" "good"? (one of the most unimportant questions ever)
100000002. Some other random stupid question that has no bearing on how I will perform or what I will get out of the school?

Education in standardized across the boar (ie. we all take the same board exam). Furthermore, you can go into any specialty from any school as long as YOU work hard. Unfortunately, you do not automatically get to do Neuro-Orthopedic Radiological Intervention with a Derm-Oncology ENT fellowship because you went to Harvard. Sorry to burst your bubble. If you suck it up at Harvard, you probably would have sucked it up in "no-name school" as well.

Education in standardized across the boar (ie. we all take the same board exam). Furthermore, you can go into any specialty from any school as long as YOU work hard. Unfortunately, you do not automatically get to do Neuro-Orthopedic Radiological Intervention with a Derm-Oncology ENT fellowship because you went to Harvard. Sorry to burst your bubble. If you suck it up at Harvard, you probably would have sucked it up in "no-name school" as well.

i think you just mean "sucked." ;)

i mostly agree, although i wouldn't say prestige factor has zero effect... it just has a really small effect. kind of like how undergrad name affects med school admissions-- there are obviously many things that are more important and considered first, but the name of your undergrad is likely to have some sort of small subconscious effect. JMO.

i think you just mean "sucked." ;)

i mostly agree, although i wouldn't say prestige factor has zero effect... it just has a really small effect. kind of like how undergrad name affects med school admissions-- there are obviously many things that are more important and considered first, but the name of your undergrad is likely to have some sort of small subconscious effect. JMO.
Yes, but having a LoR from someone that is well known to the PD of the residency is going to have a much larger effect. If they happen to know someone from your state school and you get a LoR from them, you are going to have a much better chance than someone from a prestigious school with the same stats and a LoR from someone they don't know. It is all about connections, which in turn has a lot to do with luck of the draw.

Yes, but having a LoR from someone that is well known to the PD of the residency is going to have a much larger effect. If they happen to know someone from your state school and you get a LoR from them, you are going to have a much better chance than someone from a prestigious school with the same stats and a LoR from someone they don't know. It is all about connections, which in turn has a lot to do with luck of the draw.

did i ever claim that that wasn't true? no. all i said was that prestige has "some sort of small subconscious effect" and that there are "obviously many things that are more important and considered first." read first, disagree second.

Just to nit pick, Pitt and Temple are considered state-related schools. They get some (less and less over time, unfortunately) money from the state and the state has some control over them (Pitt can't purchase non-American made vehicles because it's a state policy, for a weird example). They are not considered full state schools.

Not sure about Penn State.

For Penn Vet, it's not a state school, but in state is still cheaper because the state subsidizes spots for PA residents, and it is easier to get in as a PA resident. I think that's similar to how it works with PA's med schools.

did i ever claim that that wasn't true? no. all i said was that prestige has "some sort of small subconscious effect" and that there are "obviously many things that are more important and considered first." read first, disagree second.
I read first and while I agree that prestige has an effect on getting into medical school, I disagree that it has any effect on residency.

tuition for UMass is a little over 8k and it's a very good school :)

tuition for UMass is a little over 8k and it's a very good school :)

i heart them! but i was surprised during the financial aid presentation at my interview to find that total costs for each year are about $42,000 (if you max out your loans). alas.

I'm so bummed that UMass doesn't accept any OOS residents.

ha, I'm pretty psyched for that exact reason. However, I wish they gave precedence to UMass students.

to the above poster:

I just read that on their website. That sucks. How do you like the school, though? I hate Worcester but I would go there over any school in Mass save Harvard.

My state university's medical program isn't too great, as far as I know. I'd choose Georgetown or UVa over it, no problem.