Which school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both WVSOM and LECOM-PA. I can't decide which one to go to. Cost of tuition aside, which school would you guys go to and why? NOTE: The search function is not working properly or I'd look as there are tons of info on LECOM. Thanks for your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

raptor5 said:
WVSOM which is also the cheaper school.

Not if you're out of state! LECOM is only about $26,000 while WVSOM is around $44,000 :eek: .

Members don't see this ad :)
Dorkus Maximus said:
Not if you're out of state! LECOM is only about $26,000 while WVSOM is around $44,000 :eek: .
Yup. I am an out-of-state student for both schools. It will be EXPENSIVE for me to attend WVSOM. But, cost of tuition aside, which school would you guys go to? I want to specialize in EM. I think LECOM would be better since they have a lot more rotation sites. The other positive is that I can possibly do rotation in my hometown starting my third year. WVSOM makes you stay in WV for your 3rd year rotation. You can rotate anywhere your 4th year but it is RECOMMENDED that you stay in WV. What I don't like about LECOM is it's dress code, too cold, and too much snow....cold, snowy weather makes me sleepy :sleep: . I really like WVSOM. The only two downside to going there is I can't do rotation outside of WVSOM starting my third year. The tuition is high, $20,000 more per year. It's tough having to choose.

WVSOM is turning out some great students, I know several that are top notch. I have also heard from a surgery pd that they are some of the best students on rotations. That said, it is really about you not the school. Go to a school that fit you, if you like the mountains and small town feel, then WVSOM it is... You'd be surprised how much it depends on you and not the school, they're going to give you the info.

Doc 2b said:
WVSOM is turning out some great students, I know several that are top notch. I have also heard from a surgery pd that they are some of the best students on rotations. That said, it is really about you not the school. Go to a school that fit you, if you like the mountains and small town feel, then WVSOM it is... You'd be surprised how much it depends on you and not the school, they're going to give you the info.
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that WVSOM requires 20 weeks of Family Practice rotation whereas LECOM requires only 12 weeks.

FutureDocDO said:
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that WVSOM requires 20 weeks of Family Practice rotation whereas LECOM requires only 12 weeks.
Lecom is strong in the EM dept.... We've had grads that have went on to be attendings at Duke in the past. There are alot of Lecom grads in allo EM residencies, I know of two at cleveland clinic, Uconn, Alleghany, and a bunch in Ohio and other places.

If it was up to me, I would choose LECOM, strictly b/c I could choose where I wanted to do my rotations my 3rd year and not have to stay in WV. My reasoning is that you want to get as much exposure to different things/places so that way when it comes time to apply for residency you could have done electives or cores at some of the sites you want to apply to. Unless you want to stay in WV for residency, then I would say go to WV.

Here's my opinion on dress code: I realize that it may be a hassle to look nice everyday now, but in 2 years, during your rotations and then for the rest of your life you will have to dress appropriately anyways. So what's the big deal? What is 2 years earlier going to hurt? I don't even think it should be a deciding factor when choosing a school honestly. You wouldn't want to be seen by a doctor who is wearing gym shorts and a Tshirt, plus you are representing your school. Medical school is supposed to be professional, just like the careers we will have shortly.

FutureDocDO said:

Hey FutureDocDo,

I'm interested in EM too! I met a woman on my flight back from my interview that had just finished up her EM residency in Ohio (Akron, I think). She told me that LECOM has excellent rotation sites and residency hook-ups for EM. According to her, a LECOM graduate runs the EM residency program at the hospital where she completed her residency! Might be something to consider... but then again, that's through the grapevine, so no telling if it's true or not.

You could come to LECOM and we could be EM buddies! :cool:

Dorkus Maximus said:
Hey FutureDocDo,

I'm interested in EM too! I met a woman on my flight back from my interview that had just finished up her EM residency in Ohio (Akron, I think). She told me that LECOM has excellent rotation sites and residency hook-ups for EM. According to her, a LECOM graduate runs the EM residency program at the hospital where she completed her residency! Might be something to consider... but then again, that's through the grapevine, so no telling if it's true or not.

You could come to LECOM and we could be EM buddies! :cool:
So I assume you're going to attend LECOM then? I am seriously considering LECOM now. It is cheaper and has a lot more rotation sites not to mention a lot of their students are successful at obtaining top EM residency programs.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful advice. Anyone else wanna add? Thanx!

Dorkus Maximus said:

Will WVSOM allow you to establish residency after 1 year. Doesn't UMDNJ do this.

raptor5 said:
Will WVSOM allow you to establish residency after 1 year. Doesn't UMDNJ do this.
I've heard it is nearly impossible. It would be interesting to know if anyone has successfully done so and how. I have plenty of time to move there and establish residency if it's possible and doesn't involve buying a house or sending my kids, which I don't have, to schools down there.

FutureDocDO said:
I've heard it is nearly impossible. It would be interesting to know if anyone has successfully done so and how. I have plenty of time to move there and establish residency if it's possible and doesn't involve buying a house or sending my kids, which I don't have, to schools down there.

The only way they will let you establish WV residency is if you marry a west virginian. I have my add in the personals already.. J/k :)

Members don't see this ad :)
jgl1980 said:
The only way they will let you establish WV residency is if you marry a west virginian. I have my add in the personals already.. J/k :)
LOL. So I will be an illegal alien unless I marry a West Virginian? :laugh:

Have you decided where you're going yet?

Which school, LECOM or WVSOM, has a "better" reputation? Thank you.

FutureDocDO said:
So I assume you're going to attend LECOM then? I am seriously considering LECOM now. It is cheaper and has a lot more rotation sites not to mention a lot of their students are successful at obtaining top EM residency programs.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful advice. Anyone else wanna add? Thanx!

Yeah, I'm 99.99% certain about going to LECOM. I had interviews at AZCOM and TOURO-NV, but wasn't that impressed by either one. I did get an invite to DMU (which I hear is awesome), but I had already sent in my deposit to LECOM. I think I will be happy with my choice!

From what I hear, LECOM does produce some excellent ER docs - I hope I can be another one! You too, if you decide to go there! :D I'm heading out there again over Christmas break to look around a bit more (housing, neighborhoods, etc.) and to make certain that's where I want to go. I think it'll be good for me to be there in the middle of a few feet of snow too! Good luck in your decision. I'm sure you'll make a great doc no matter where you end up going! If you do go to LECOM, we'll have to get together!

Dorkus Maximus said:
Yeah, I'm 99.99% certain about going to LECOM. I had interviews at AZCOM and TOURO-NV, but wasn't that impressed by either one. I did get an invite to DMU (which I hear is awesome), but I had already sent in my deposit to LECOM. I think I will be happy with my choice!

From what I hear, LECOM does produce some excellent ER docs - I hope I can be another one! You too, if you decide to go there! :D I'm heading out there again over Christmas break to look around a bit more (housing, neighborhoods, etc.) and to make certain that's where I want to go. I think it'll be good for me to be there in the middle of a few feet of snow too! Good luck in your decision. I'm sure you'll make a great doc no matter where you end up going! If you do go to LECOM, we'll have to get together!
That's good. It must be nice to have made a decision. I'm still tossing back and forth. But yeah if I decide to go to LECOM we need to get together. It doesn't hurt to have a few friends to dig my car out of the snow once in a while :laugh: .

FutureDocDO said:
LOL. So I will be an illegal alien unless I marry a West Virginian? :laugh:

Unless it is your sister, then they fast-track you through the red tape :smuggrin:

It is virtually impossible to establish residency here other than marrying a West Virginian... no buying a house, paying taxes, WV driver's license, voting, etc. will do (we've all tried these :D )...they want to protect that $40k out-of-state tuition!

I don't know what our reputation is for placing grads in top EM programs, so maybe this won't help you at all, but there is no reason to think you wouldn't place in a top EM program as a WVSOM graduate. We've had plenty of students go into the most prestigious programs for every sort of specialty in the past. The whole statewide campus thing for third year will hinder your ability to do rotations in other places, that is true, but there are a few things to consider:

1.) You will have plenty of time during 4th year to go to rotation sites that you want
2.) Most top programs require so many prerequisite rotations that you may not even be able to go there until 4th year anyway
3.) WVSOM's mission is to promote rural medicine, so if you are interested in practicing in a rural-ish area you might want to seriously consider it.

What about learning styles? Would you prefer PBL or a systems-based curriculum? We offer both here and both are excellent.

As far as "reputation" is concerned, people throughout the entire state truly respect and appreciate the WVSOM students. I thought people would look down on me as compared to kids from Marshall or WVU because I am an osteopathic student, but people really do know the difference and they love it. Yeah it is expensive, and I certainly don't have a rich mommy and daddy, but I think it has been worth it. Good luck in your decision, I'm sure you'll enjoy either program and become a great physician! :thumbup:

gclax30 said:
What about learning styles? Would you prefer PBL or a systems-based curriculum? We offer both here and both are excellent.

As far as "reputation" is concerned, people throughout the entire state truly respect and appreciate the WVSOM students.
Thanks for replying. I am more interested in SBL/LDP than PBL as I'm more comfortable with it. After all I've had over a decade of experience in SBL/LDP and hardly any in PBL :) . I am quite aware of WVSOM reputation. The town's people seem to regard it highly which is nice.

jgl1980 said:

How long does your spouse have to be a WV resident for. For examle lets say your engage. You get into WVSOM. Your fiance quickly sets up a PO box. Once you secure an apt. your fiance gets a license. Then you marry.

FutureDocDO said:

If you're looking into EM residencies, they have some right in Erie. Obviously there's no guarantee that you'll get one of them, but it's a thought! I remember reading somewhere that you didn't want to move around a lot. Granted, that was for rotations, but you might be able to buy a house in Erie, go to LECOM, hopefully land some rotation sites around Erie, and finally do your residency there! Wouldn't that be sweet??? :laugh:

Someone posted this website in another forum, check it out. It has tons of information for AOA residency programs: http://opportunities.aoa-net.org

Dorkus Maximus said:
If you're looking into EM residencies, they have some right in Erie. Obviously there's no guarantee that you'll get one of them, but it's a thought! I remember reading somewhere that you didn't want to move around a lot. Granted, that was for rotations, but you might be able to buy a house in Erie, go to LECOM, hopefully land some rotation sites around Erie, and finally do your residency there! Wouldn't that be sweet??? :laugh:

Someone posted this website in another forum, check it out. It has tons of information for AOA residency programs: http://opportunities.aoa-net.org

That WOULD be sweet...if you didn't have to live in Erie :)
ha, just kidding, don't get defensive now it was only a joke.

stretch210 said:
That WOULD be sweet...if you didn't have to live in Erie :)
ha, just kidding, don't get defensive now it was only a joke.

Haha! :laugh: I like a good joke every now and then! Erie's not too bad... but then again, I'm from Idaho, went to undergrad in Colorado, and now live in Montana - so I'm used to the cold and snow. I lived in Phoenix for a year and hated every minute of it! :cool:

Dorkus Maximus said:

Thank you. I don't want to move around a lot but I would like to move out of Erie. What I meant by not moving around is once I'm at a hospital I'd like to stay there for my most of my rotations, if that's even possible. Buying a house in Errrrie is out of the question ... too poor as well :) . Does anyone know if it's possible to do rotations at Mercy in Des Moines, where DMU students do theirs, coming from LECOM or WVSOM? Thanks.

Just be aware of what the rotations sites are at either school. If Joe Schmoe DO agrees to preceptor medical students, this is a rotation site and that does not always mean a quality education.

raptor5 said:

UMDNJ allows you to be establish residency PRIOR to starting school, so your entire education is at in-state tuition rate, as long as you jump through a couple easy paperwork hoops.

-J