Which schools accept the most out of state residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annie800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to narrow down where I should apply. I live in Florida, but I would happily apply anywhere in the US.

So far, I found that the University of N. Carolina accepts 18 non-resident students and the University of Georgia accepts 9. LOL!

Anyone else know of schools with more non-resident spots?

Members don't see this ad.

Kansas State, Ohio State, Iowa State

K State for sure --- the class tends to be around half in state/half out state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western doesn't make any distinction between in state or out of state.

Penn and Tufts.

Penn accepts 50% out-of-state students.

41 out of 87 students in Tufts 2013 class are OOS.

In addition to those already mentioned:

Mississippi seems to take quite a few as well, not sure of exact numbers. I'd have to look.

And I was going say Penn/Tufts/Western, but certain someones beat me to it.

Thank you everyone. :)

I am going to go research stats and see which schools require an interview. I pretty much thought all schools required an interview, but apparently University of N. Carolina does not. Dd I read that wrong? Sounds kinda crazy.

UNC doesn't have a vet school, North Carolina State does.

Minnesota, Ohio, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, Tufts, Mississippi State and Penn all accept a fair number of out of state folks.

This link should help you: http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/college_requirement.htm

If you click on a school, you'll see their entry requirements, pre-reqs, admissions process, in-state/out of state stats, etc.

If you spend some time on the aavmc.org website, you'll get the hang of it. :)
Good luck!

P.S. It's actually North Carolina State, not UNC--they might be a bit bothered by that. ;)

Last edited:
Might want to research NAVLE pass rates, too. National avg. for first-time test takers is around 93%. Some vet schools have a much lower average for their graduates.

Oh man, I messed up. :p Yes, yes, NCS.

To the awesome person who posted the links to the chart and the person who suggested NAVLE pass rates, wow- thank you. There are so many more pieces to the puzzle.

I am pretty certain that LSU and KSU take a fair number of OOS. Also, you may want to look at previous class statistics. Eventhough a school may have a certain number of slots, that does not necessarily mean that is how many they take. If I remember correctly when I was applying, although UGA has 9 slots, on the average they only took 1-2 per year. I don't know if this is because they never thought their applicants were good enough or what, but thier past acceptances is something to look at, not just how many they allow. Also, UGA requires the GRE Biology, so think about that extra $$ too just for one school that may only give up 1 or 2 OOS spots.

Missouri should be accepting ~50 OOS students in a class of ~120 this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone please correct me if I'm wong, but I'm pretty sure UGA only accepts about 1 person OOS. Those oter 8 spots are given to contract states, which, I hate to say, doesn't include Florida. Sorry!

Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine currently accepts ~15 OOS (out of state) applicants but is looking to expand that to 30+ in the next few years. When are you planning to apply?

Also, look at the number of applicants vs. admitted. For instance, Colorado State University has an awesome vet school and last year accepted 32 non-sponsored students--out of almost 1400 applicants for those slots, which is, I think, the most for any one category of applicants of any vet school. I think this year they upped it to around 40, but the odds almost assuredly did not get better. I decided not to throw my hat in that ring, so I can't tell you for sure. On the one hand, it's a great school and might have your dream program and they do not interview (OOS at least)--which is way to save money when applying. On the other hand, you might be wasting your GRE and supplemental fees on a very long shot. I went for a long shot with Cornell and didn't make it, but I don't regret applying. Another thing to consider: a school like Colorado or Cornell might have a slower moving waitlist than say Ohio or NCS, partially because CSU &Cornell have an "ivy leagueish" reputation among vet schools.

When choosing schools, I'd recommend

• looking at programs and research at different schools that interest you
  • odds (number of OOS, esp verses OOS applicants)
  • areas--if not regional, then city verses rural, ect
  • money--for applying and OOS tuition
  • you can also ask around--vets, professors, and heck, hang around this forum enough and you can ask current students at different schools!
  • when in doubt, the more darts you throw at a board, the more likely one is to hit a bulls eye
  • the biggest thing to remember is that the best school is the one you get into--I've heard that so much, and the further I get into this process, the more I believe it.
This is probably more info than you wanted, but I'm trying to calm myself down after watching US Nationals figure skating exhibition. I'm :soexcited: and aiming for :sleep: at some point soon, so I thought that playing around here would wind me down a bit. I think my heart rate has decreased! Anyway, I figured a bit more info couldn't hurt!

Good luck!!!!!

Gilch, I adore you! What other schools don't interview?

Gilch, I adore you! What other schools don't interview?

Wisconsin doesn't. They accept about 20 OOSers. Plus they have very reasonable OOS tuition. ($26,000 or so)

Ordinarily, I'd be at work, but I'm off for the day and super-bored this morning. :rolleyes: According to my VMSAR book, here are the numbers for OOS acceptance (listed from most to least number of seats). These are based only on what the book has printed and doesn't include contract spots. Also, a lot of these numbers represent the MAXIMUM number of spots awarded to non-resident students. The actual number admitted can vary year to year.

Western: Entire class of 100 spots (Interviews)
Penn: 62 (Interviews)
Kansas: 60 (Interviews)
Iowa: 50 (Interviews)
Missouri: 45-50 (Has been changed as of this year; Interviews)
Cornell: 41 (NO Interviews)
Tufts: At least 40 (Interviews)
Ohio: 40 (Interviews)
Illinois: 35 (Interviews)
Michigan: 35 (Some Interviews)
Minnesota: Around 35 (Interviews)
Colorado State: 32 (NO Interviews)
Mississippi: 30 (Interviews)
Purdue: 20-25 (Interviews)
Tennessee: 25 (Interviews)
Washington: 25 (Interviews)
Louisiana: 22 (Interviews)
Oklahoma: 22 (Interviews)
Oregon: 20 (NO Interviews)
Wisconsin: 20 (NO Interviews)
North Carolina: 18 (NO Interviews)
Virginia/Maryland: 15 (Interviews)
Auburn: 10 (Interviews)
Texas A&M: 10 (Interviews)
Florida: Limited number, usually around 8-10 (Interviews)
UC Davis: Limited number, usually around 5 (Interviews)
Tuskegee: 5 (Interviews)
Georgia: Limited number, usually 0-2 (NO Interviews)

Reactions: 1 user
I am going to go research stats and see which schools require an interview. I pretty much thought all schools required an interview, but apparently University of N. Carolina does not. Dd I read that wrong? Sounds kinda crazy.

NCSU doesn’t interview, but it doesn’t seem to create issues. The supplemental app is used to extensively. There are various debates about the value of the interview, but my understanding is that interviewing involves increasing costs for both the school and the applicants (time of interviewers, time of interviewees, travel, scheduling, room reservations, additional costs like dinners/lunches, etc.) and that interviews can allow personal views, even subconscious ones, to hinder the selection process. NCSU believes the lack of interviews helps to increase diversity in terms of URM, non-trads, etc.

NCSU believes the lack of interviews helps to increase diversity in terms of URM, non-trads, etc.

Don't see how. Nothing like spending time with a person to fully learn about the diversity of their experiences and background.

Ordinarily, I'd be at work, but I'm off for the day and super-bored this morning. :rolleyes: According to my VMSAR book, here are the numbers for OOS acceptance (listed from most to least number of seats). These are based only on what the book has printed and doesn't include contract spots. Also, a lot of these numbers represent the MAXIMUM number of spots awarded to non-resident students. The actual number admitted can vary year to year.

Oh my, I want to hug you to pieces. To pieces, I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oklahoma: 22 (NO Interviews OOS)

Fixed one. :) Also, not many people want to come to Oklahoma (hey, I like it here, so who knows) so the waitlist moves a lot for OOS students I think. So you probably have pretty good odds at those 22 seats, since many people will choose to go elsewhere if they can. Like I said, *I* like it here. :p

Just to clarify, Michigan does not interview except maybe a few applicants under exceptional circumstances. I don't think they interviewed anyone last year (but I could be wrong, I'm OOS and don't have the inside scoop like some people here). You should not count on an interview to help you advance in ranking for admission.

Just to clarify, Michigan does not interview except maybe a few applicants under exceptional circumstances. I don't think they interviewed anyone last year (but I could be wrong, I'm OOS and don't have the inside scoop like some people here). You should not count on an interview to help you advance in ranking for admission.

Yup, that's what I've heard, too. I guess the majority of applicants are decided based on their applications and stats and a few are interviewed to fill out the remainder of the class.

twelvetigers said:
Fixed one. :) Also, not many people want to come to Oklahoma (hey, I like it here, so who knows) so the waitlist moves a lot for OOS students I think. So you probably have pretty good odds at those 22 seats, since many people will choose to go elsewhere if they can. Like I said, *I* like it here. :p

Thank you, dear! :) And yes, all of these are for OOS students only. I know some schools (like OK State) will interview ONLY OOS students or ONLY IS students rather than the entire applicant pool. And twelvetigers has a great point - being #21 on the waitlist at one school may not be the same as being #21 at a different school. They all move at different paces depending on a lot of factors.

annie800 said:
Oh my, I want to hug you to pieces. To pieces, I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs you right back* Anything I can do to help! This forum is a GREAT place to come for info and advice (I know it's helped me out quite a bit). Plus, we're super-friendly! :D

When I spoke with Tufts admissions they said they take 45 IS and 45 OOS max for a total of 90 so a few more spots for those who are OOS

Also, Minnesota has increased its class size slightly and thus may be taking up to 40 OOSers.

Is there any updated place to find these stats by school?
I’d just google “[school name] vet med out if state seats” and find the info directly on the schools websites myself. Any collated data has a strong chance of being out of date since there has been a trend lately for increasing class sizes. It’s a little annoying to have to google every school, but the couple I tried brought the info right up so it wouldn’t actually take very long.

Reactions: 1 users
I do know that the lowest amount of OOS seats will be at TAMU, and only TX or NM residents can apply to Texas Tech.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any updated place to find these stats by school?
The group lists can be found in the AAVMC public data. However, like Jayna said, it can be out of date since it's only reviewed once a year based on the previous year's data.

Keep in mind the ratio of applicants to seats. There are plenty of schools that take 40-50% of their class out of state, but if the ratio is 40 applicants to 1 seat, it still may be more competitive than a school with only 30% out of state, but with 20 applicants per seat instead

Reactions: 1 users