Which schools are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future Dr Kwon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm narrowing down the schools I'm applying to. I have only 7 that I really would actually want to go to (due to location). Do you think I should apply to more? I know a lot of people apply to A LOT of schools. Am I hurting my chances of getting into a DO school?

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm narrowing down the schools I'm applying to. I have only 7 that I really would actually want to go to (due to location). Do you think I should apply to more? I know a lot of people apply to A LOT of schools. Am I hurting my chances of getting into a DO school?

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

Depends on how good your application is and which schools you're applying to (for example, if you are a CA resident it wouldn't make sense to apply to only PCOM, NYCOM, TCOM, MSUCOM, OUCOM, OSUCOM, and WVSOM).

bump. this is actually a good question. how may schools does the average DO applicant apply to?

i'm personally considering 7 also (5 regional private +2state).

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how good your application is and which schools you're applying to (for example, if you are a CA resident it wouldn't make sense to apply to only PCOM, NYCOM, TCOM, MSUCOM, OUCOM, OSUCOM, and WVSOM).

Didn't see the info on their website, does PCOM not take many OOS? (Cali resident applying)

I'm a CA resident who attended one of the UCs. I'm planning on applyting to NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, MSUCOM, KCOM, TCOM, AZCOM, SOMA and Western.

Didn't see the info on their website, does PCOM not take many OOS? (Cali resident applying)

PCOM has very strong regional (east coast) preference.

same thing can be said for western com (west coast)

PCOM has a strong regional bias.

edit: beaten to it...shouldn't have left this tab open for 10 minutes before replying

I'm a CA resident who attended one of the UCs. I'm planning on applyting to NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, MSUCOM, KCOM, TCOM, AZCOM, SOMA and Western.

You have a slim chance at NYCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, and TCOM unless you have a connection to those states/regions. Adding NSUCOM would be a good idea

Would you guys say Western-Lebanon has a strong regional bias?? I was assuming they do but I'm on the fence on whether I should submit my app there.

I just did a campus visit at Western Lebanon and the said "We don't give preference to the Northwest, that's just the students we attract"
They also mentioned something weird about only being able to apply to Lebanon OR Pomona and not both. I admit I may be misinterpreting what they said about that

Currently the plan is CCOM, NYCOM, Western, All touros, UMDNJ, PCOM, KCUMB, KCOM, DMU, NSUCOM, AZCOM, and maybe the LECOM's. I'm looking at 13-15 schools.

no touro-ca?

Ah I forgot about TOURO-CA. I'll definitely add that. Thanks.

You have a slim chance at NYCOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, and TCOM unless you have a connection to those states/regions. Adding NSUCOM would be a good idea

Aww NYCOM would definitely be my top choice since I really want to live in NYC. Do they really shun all out-of-state applicants not within their region? I also forgot to add TOURO-Harlem. Do they also look for people within the region?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww NYCOM would definitely be my top choice since I really want to live in NYC. Do they really shun all out-of-state applicants not within their region? I also forgot to add TOURO-Harlem. Do they also look for people within the region?[/QUOTE]

you'll have a much better chance with touro-harlem than nycom. but beware both are radically different schools (i.e established vs. just beginning to graduate their first class)

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'm from CA. Do you think this is a good list?

Western University
AT Still University - Arizona
AZCOM
LECOM in Florida
Des Moines
TouroCOM , CA

These are the only ones I would actually want to go to (due to location).
Am I applying to too few?

Stats:
3.5 Cum GPA
3.6 Science GPA
Waiting for MCAT scores
Decent number of ECs

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I'm from CA. Do you think this is a good list?

Western University
AT Still University - Arizona
AZCOM
LECOM in Florida
Des Moines
TouroCOM , CA

Are you interested in a PBL-only curriculum? If not, scratch LECOM-B off the list. What do you think about ATSU-SOMA's unique curriculum involving Community Health Centers? If you don't care for it scratch them off.

I'd consider adding NSUCOM, KCUMB, Touro-NV, KCOM, and/or CCOM.

Good # of Cali people at LECOM-Erie IIRC.

Primary Application Submitted to...

A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, AZ
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - California, CA
Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine - Nevada, NV
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey - School of Osteopathic Medicine, NJ
Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific - Pomona, CA

For those of you that aren't considering KCUMB I'd suggest you scrounge up the change needed and add it to your list. If you get the chance to interview I'll bet you'll say it was well worth it. They're the fifth oldest DO school and impressed me enough to pull me away from CA over some other really good schools. Cheers :thumbup:

Texas resident, first time applicant. Submitted my application to:

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University, AZ
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine – Virginia Campus, VA
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MO
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine, CO
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
University of North Texas Health Science Center, Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, TX

For those of you that aren't considering KCUMB I'd suggest you scrounge up the change needed and add it to your list. If you get the chance to interview I'll bet you'll say it was well worth it. They're the fifth oldest DO school and impressed me enough to pull me away from CA over some other really good schools. Cheers :thumbup:

although i don't have the genetics requirement down, i'm thinking about adding kcumb to the list. hows the area around the school? is its urban/city like or rural?

underdog thats re applying and was waitlisted last year.

NJ resident

I submitted my primary at 8 am this mourning. I applied to 5 schools and on the 16th when I get paid again, I will be applying to a five more.

So far its......
DMU COM
OUCOM (im willing to sign the OOS contract. and I would love to live permanently in OHIO)
LMU DCOM
WVSOM
LECOM erie

underdog thats re applying and was waitlisted last year.

NJ resident

I submitted my primary at 8 am this mourning. I applied to 5 schools and on the 16th when I get paid again, I will be applying to a five more.

So far its......
DMU COM
OUCOM (im willing to sign the OOS contract. and I would love to live permanently in OHIO)
LMU DCOM
WVSOM
LECOM erie

Just curious what are the other 5 schools youll be applying to? If i remember correctly from last years underdog thread we had very similar stats with a 3.2 25.

although i don't have the genetics requirement down, i'm thinking about adding kcumb to the list. hows the area around the school? is its urban/city like or rural?

I love it. The school itself is in a poor neighborhood because it occupies the site of the former Mercy Children's hospital which was placed there to serve the underprivileged. I like that. And so, naturally, a big part of our class volunteering takes place helping out this population. The Score 1 program that you'll hear a lot about is where we go and directly work with the kids in this area and give them free physicals, among other things.

But anyway, I'm rambling. Apart from that, the school is located two miles away from downtown and the cool power and light district (http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/). It's also about 8 miles away from the stadiums where the Chiefs and the Royals play. I believe we'll be taking a class trip to a Royals game(s) during orientation week. Sweet. So to answer your question, it's very urban, pretty much in the heart of the city. There's also a lot of good food (namely barbecue) and live music supposedly. I'm excited to check it all out.

AT Still Kirksville
AT Still Arizona
AZCOM
CCOM
Edward Via (SC Campus)
PCOM (Georgia)
LECOM Both campuses
NOVA
OSUCOM
PNWU
PCOM
RVU
Touro CA, NV
WEstern Lebanon
I have a 3.4 sGPA, and a 3.6 cGPA, and am looking at a 33-38 on my MCAT based on my practice test scores

I love it. The school itself is in a poor neighborhood because it occupies the site of the former Mercy Children's hospital which was placed there to serve the underprivileged. I like that. And so, naturally, a big part of our class volunteering takes place helping out this population. The Score 1 program that you'll hear a lot about is where we go and directly work with the kids in this area and give them free physicals, among other things.

But anyway, I'm rambling. Apart from that, the school is located two miles away from downtown and the cool power and light district (http://www.powerandlightdistrict.com/). It's also about 8 miles away from the stadiums where the Chiefs and the Royals play. I believe we'll be taking a class trip to a Royals game(s) during orientation week. Sweet. So to answer your question, it's very urban, pretty much in the heart of the city. There's also a lot of good food (namely barbecue) and live music supposedly. I'm excited to check it all out.

Ugh... I withdrew from KCUMB after I got another acceptance so that I didn't have to juggle a Biochem class with work during my year off. You're causing me to really regret that decision. Looks like a pretty cool place, congrats.

KCUMB is an amazing school and if you interview there you will see it for yourself!

Aww NYCOM would definitely be my top choice since I really want to live in NYC. Do they really shun all out-of-state applicants not within their region? I also forgot to add TOURO-Harlem. Do they also look for people within the region?

As a Long Islander, trust me, you wouldn't want to live in NYC if you were going to NYCOM. Touro-NY is a better choice, or MD schools in the five boroughs if you really want to live in NYC.

As a Long Islander, trust me, you wouldn't want to live in NYC if you were going to NYCOM. Touro-NY is a better choice, or MD schools in the five boroughs if you really want to live in NYC.

not necessarily for 3rd and 4th year rotations and clerkships. nycom has affiliates all over nyc.

but yeah, nycom is in old westbury, LI stuck in the middle of million dollar mansions. so its safe to call it a commuter school for most students during pre-clinical years.

Well we have a lot of people from Brooklyn at Touro-Harlem, but thats more because we are one of two (to my knowledge) Jewish medical schools in the northeast (with Einstein). So we get a whole lot of applicants from that area since a large portion of Brooklyn is densely jewish.

With that said, no regional bias at Touro. There are about the same number of Cali residents as NY residents in the 2013 class (only one I'm specifically familiar with). And the rest of the class is scattered about from everywhere though obviously nearby states have a slightly higher representation than farther away states.

For anyone who wants to look at NYC I'd be making sure TouroCOM and NYCOM are on your list. Totally different schools, but both offer you that slight extra advantage in clinical years if you're trying to get into NYC rotations.

Also: back in the day my applications were to NYCOM, TouroCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, UMDNJ, LECOM-Erie, and Touro-CA. As you can see, I went with a northeast bias, as location was most important to me. TouroCA got into the list just because I have graduates from there in my family so that application had to happen.

Well we have a lot of people from Brooklyn at Touro-Harlem, but thats more because we are one of two (to my knowledge) Jewish medical schools in the northeast (with Einstein). So we get a whole lot of applicants from that area since a large portion of Brooklyn is densely jewish.

With that said, no regional bias at Touro. There are about the same number of Cali residents as NY residents in the 2013 class (only one I'm specifically familiar with). And the rest of the class is scattered about from everywhere though obviously nearby states have a slightly higher representation than farther away states.

For anyone who wants to look at NYC I'd be making sure TouroCOM and NYCOM are on your list. Totally different schools, but both offer you that slight extra advantage in clinical years if you're trying to get into NYC rotations.

Also: back in the day my applications were to NYCOM, TouroCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, UMDNJ, LECOM-Erie, and Touro-CA. As you can see, I went with a northeast bias, as location was most important to me. TouroCA got into the list just because I have graduates from there in my family so that application had to happen.

Where you doing your 3rd year clerkships, out of curiosity?

I'm curious, how Jewish is Touro? I grew up in an orthodox household (not actually Jewish myself though, long story) and feel like there is this whole world that is religion affiliated more or less only because it says it is and then proceeds to serve cheeseburgers at their spring BBQ. Is there a kosher caf? Are you out with enough time to get home before dark on Fridays? I've read a bit about charity money going to Israel and the Touro brothers, but how much of this stuff do you see on a daily basis?

Where you doing your 3rd year clerkships, out of curiosity?

St. John's Episcopal in Far Rockaway for most of the year. Going to visit my parents upstate for a month at Rockland Psychiatric Hospital, and if calling in a favor works out for me: doing a month in oncology at NYU (Bellevue) at the end of 3rd year. But that last one is not set in stone yet.

Last edited:
I'm curious, how Jewish is Touro? I grew up in an orthodox household (not actually Jewish myself though, long story) and feel like there is this whole world that is religion affiliated more or less only because it says it is and then proceeds to serve cheeseburgers at their spring BBQ. Is there a kosher caf? Are you out with enough time to get home before dark on Fridays? I've read a bit about charity money going to Israel and the Touro brothers, but how much of this stuff do you see on a daily basis?

Pardon me if I spell things incorrectly. Im gonna use phonetics to drive my spelling. There are muzzuzahs on every door. The cafeteria (and everything served on campus) is Kosher. If we have events we *technically* can only serve kosher food (there is loophole everyone uses where we use club money instead of school money, so plenty of cheeseburgers can be had, you just need to file it all correctly). Class lets out, at the latest, 1pm on Fridays. Library closes at 2pm on friday and doesn't reopen til 7:45 on sunday. The school itself is still open, but they try to really respect every orthodox tradition they can.

as for giving money to israel? Eh. Never heard about it specifically but I'm sure the mother college does.

St. John's Episcopal in Far Rockaway for most of the year. Going to visit my parents upstate for a month at Rockland Psychiatric Hospital, and if calling in a favor works out for me: doing a month in oncology at NYU (Bellevue) at the end of 3rd year. But that last one is not set in stone yet.

One of my friends/classamates is going to be one of your surgical interns at SJE. I thought you were at NYCOM accidentally, so I was wondering if you were coincidentally at Lutheran, then it would be suck up on SDN time :lol:

One of my friends/classamates is going to be one of your surgical interns at SJE. I thought you were at NYCOM accidentally, so I was wondering if you were coincidentally at Lutheran, then it would be suck up on SDN time :lol:

The amount of sucking up I would do here would have been epic.

EDIT: Holy crap. Lutheran is right next to where I'm living next year. If I need an appy in the next year you might be cutting me open.... :roflcopter: can someone specifically request/specifically demand against a given surgeon while being wheeled into the ER/OR?

Pardon me if I spell things incorrectly. Im gonna use phonetics to drive my spelling. There are muzzuzahs on every door. The cafeteria (and everything served on campus) is Kosher. If we have events we *technically* can only serve kosher food (there is loophole everyone uses where we use club money instead of school money, so plenty of cheeseburgers can be had, you just need to file it all correctly). Class lets out, at the latest, 1pm on Fridays. Library closes at 2pm on friday and doesn't reopen til 7:45 on sunday. The school itself is still open, but they try to really respect every orthodox tradition they can.

as for giving money to israel? Eh. Never heard about it specifically but I'm sure the mother college does.

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. Good for them.

The amount of sucking up I would do here would have been epic.

EDIT: Holy crap. Lutheran is right next to where I'm living next year. If I need an appy in the next year you might be cutting me open.... :roflcopter: can someone specifically request/specifically demand against a given surgeon while being wheeled into the ER/OR?

haha, I'm sure they can, but in emergencies it probably isn't advisable. Anyway, you will live much closer to my hospital than I will. I'm living in Jersey CIty:eek: because my better half is doing her EM at St. Joes.

Ah I forgot about TOURO-CA. I'll definitely add that. Thanks.

I think NYCOM has a very strong preference for applicants from NY and the surrounding states. I applied there this past year and it was the only DO school I didn't hear from after submitting the secondary (not even a rejection letter!). I would occasionally post in the NYCOM thread to see if any CA residents were getting interviews and no one ever responded. If your stats are very strong, go for it. I know it's your top choice but it might be tough. Your chances are much better at Touro-NY. At my Touro interview, I'd say half of the applicants were from CA. And there, it's more realistic to live in the city.

Also, my dad owns and rents out a house in Queens. I'm a CA resident, but I grew up spending a lot of time in NY with family. If I went to NYCOM, I'd live in the house there. I included this info in my NYCOM secondary and still, no dice!

Last edited:
PCOM (Philly resident)
UMNDJ
LECOM-E
MSUCOM (born/raised in MI, family there, undergrad degrees from UMich)
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
Touro-NV
Rocky Vista
KCUMB
OkStateCOM
LMU-DCOM
VCOM-CC
WVCOM
William Carey

I met Robin at a Pre-med conference in Maryland a year ago. I really loved what she had to say about the school. It is one of my top choices!:D

I sent my primary to about 20 because I didn't know how what my MCAT score was yet, but when I got it back I cut it down to 4. If you know your stats then pick the number based on that, but if you don't know your stats or important grades for sure its better to apply to more to be safe.