Which schools do PBL? How much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moonstruckmuse

Tufts V'16!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just really curious - I'm pretty darn sure I can't survive the idea of straight lecture for a few years, so I'm looking for alternative curricula and styles of learning.
So far, I know that UTK, Western, and Cornell use PBL a fair bit. There's other ways to incorporate it, like CSU having a PBL elective, and Illinois doing a case-based learning (can someone tell me more about this? What does that MEAN?)

What other schools have it? How much of it?
And please, could someone explain the Illinois thing? Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Oregon is mostly lectures, but the first year one of the classes is a year-long class called veterinary integrated problem solving, which is essentially PBL. They used to do it second year also, but eliminated it from the curriculum.

When I interviewed at Tufts last year, they mentioned that they are starting to put more emphasis on PBL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wisconsin apparently has a couple of new PBL classes.

Davis' new curriculum seems like it will also include more PBL aspects, although I'm not sure if it will be true PBL, or just a lot more collaboration and group work.

At LSU, we have two weeks of only PBL class in the first, second and third years. I'll be starting the PBL weeks on Monday, so I don't know a lot, but they're going to give us two cases to work through.

I've never heard of "case-based learning". It sounds like what LSU does, but it's called problem-based learning. It could just be a different name for the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I've always been under the impression that PBL = case-based learning. Different names for the same thing? (death cab for cutie anyone? :oops:)

I'm going to try to way oversimplify Cornell's unnecessarily confusing system. At Cornell, the curriculum is divided into 7 "blocks." Block 6 is clinics in the third and fourth year, and Block 7 is divided into several sections (7a, b, etc) and runs concurrently with blocks 1-5 during your first 2.5 years (until you enter clinics during third year). So basically, the didactic portion of the curriculum is pretty much blocks 1-5 (oversimplifying a little bit, but bear with me).

Block 1 = anatomy, histology, radiology, embryology
Block 2 = cell biology & genetics, including some intro pathology, intro immunology, cancer, etc. stuff
Block 3 = physiology
Block 4 = virology, bacteriology, immunology (for real this time) (concurrent lecture-based parasitology)
Block 5 = animal health & diseases

Basically, PBL is used in every block except block 2, which is pretty much entirely lecture-based. Parasitology is also lecture-based and is taught concurrently with block 4. Within each PBL block, there are some more traditional things such as lectures, structured laboratories, etc., the extent depends on the individual block. So you're not really completely "on your own," because those lectures and labs serve to sort of guide and structure your independent case-based learning. The case-based stuff happens in what Cornell calls "tutor group" - 6-7 students plus one faculty member. You read through (real) cases that have been specifically structured to present specific "learning issues" (things you don't know and need to go home and figure out before the next tutor group session, at which time your group will talk about the learning issues to make sure everyone's on the same page). Tutor group usually happens about 3 times a week, and you spend 2-4 tutor group sessions per case. That's the simplest way to describe it.

The blocks don't necessarily line up with the beginning and end of semesters. Block 2 started halfway through fall semester, and ends this coming week. Block 3 spans spring of first year and beginning of fall of second year. If you're not completely lost yet, you can take a look at this schematic of Cornell's curriculum: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/registrar/Years.cfm You'll probably be completely lost after that. :) (PS. "Distribution courses" means 6-8 weeks of electives, in between "blocks." No "blocks" are going on during distributions.)

I think Cornell is a lot heavier on the PBL than schools like LSU, Illinois, OR, etc but based on what I've heard, not as heavy on the PBL as Western is. I went in expecting to hate PBL, and while I don't love it it's not terrible. Most people seem to really enjoy Cornell's curriculum.

Last edited:
Basically, PBL is used in every block except block 2, which is pretty much entirely lecture-based. Parasitology is also lecture-based and is taught concurrently with block 4. Within each PBL block, there are some more traditional things such as lectures, structured laboratories, etc., the extent depends on the individual block. So you're not really completely "on your own," because those lectures and labs serve to sort of guide and structure your independent case-based learning.

This is actually pretty similar to what UCDavis's new curriculum will be like as far as the actual format of the class time. The goal is to reduce the amount of lecture/structured laboratory time but not to obliterate it completely. Individual block faculty committees are given relatively free reign as to the content and scheduling of the hours within the block (fulfilling the outlined learning objectives from the AAVMC of course).

The format of the blocks will be systemic though rather than discipline based - i.e. there is a "Foundations" block that is kind of the basics, and then there are blocks for heme/lymph/coag, skin, musculoskeletal system, GI system, etc. In each of the blocks the development, anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology, etc of the various organ systems will be covered. There are also blocks for things like population health and infectious disease/immunology.

It's going to be pretty cool, I think. :)

nyanko, do you know what Davis's PBL portion is going to be like?

Wisconsin apparently has a couple of new PBL classes.

Yep, in the second year we have a brand new course called "Active Integrative Learning." So far, I think it is a good course. We get a small amount of PBL in the first year that is just kind of sprinkled in places throughout the curriculum. Not sure about 3rd year.

I also know that Purdue has a PBL course. I think it is called Applications and Integrations. From what I hear, it is pretty well done and very involved. Of course, your experience will depend on if you get a good group for the semester.

Just putting it out there: WesternU using PBL "a fair bit" is a humongous understatement :p.

As this is so true the whole curriculum is PBL :oops::oops: I just cant wait to interview 2 Western my 1st choice no doubt !

Just putting it out there: WesternU using PBL "a fair bit" is a humongous understatement :p.

At WesternU, it's PBL "all day everyday". The core of your curriculum is a 16 credit Veterinary Basic Science course.

OP do you have more specific questions about the PBL process? I'm sure other Westerners would be happy to chime in...

NCSU is moving in the PBL direction. The c/o 2018 is the first to progress through the new curriculum. First semester, first year, students enroll in a class called 'problem solving in veterinary medicine.' This class introduces the process of clinical reasoning- how clinicians move from client history, etc. to a final diagnosis. Once the SOAP process is outlined, clinicians representing various specialties (equine, SA, LA, exotics) demonstrate the SOAP process in action via actual case reports. Simultaneously, students move through 'video' cases with a group, from start to finish. Second semester, first year, there are two problem solving (PBL) courses. 'Small group problem solving' reviews the SOAP process. Students work through 3-4 cases with a faculty facilitator using the SOAP model. Facilitators role play the client, guide the discussion (if things are getting off track), highlight what students should be getting out of sessions, and selectively release information about the case to move the process forward in a controlled manner (for instance, students may request a CBC for the case, but the actual data won't be released to view until other diagnostics are completed first). The other problem solving class is 'problem solving in infection and immunity.' I really liked the way this class turned out. For the first 6 weeks, students are presented with lectures on diagnostic tools used to identify infectious processes (virus isolation, bacterial culture, flow cytometry). The lectures are delivered to the class as a whole, following which students divide into small groups once the series has concluded. Then, small groups work through cases associated with infectious disease. Students much choose the appropriate diagnostics (and justify these choices) to their respective facilitators. Students' recall of the first semester of infection/immunity (Bac-T, Mycology) as well as the second semester (Virology, Immunology, Parasitology) are brought to bear in solving cases. This has been my favorite problem solving class thus far. Problem solving continues in the NCSU curriculum in the second and third years, with decreasing levels of facilitator involvement. It is considered a central focus of the curriculum, although traditional lectures still form the backbone of student learning.

Hi, I'd love to know how you like western!
You likely won't get a response from that person (it's been 3 years since their last post) but @Rwwilliams is currently at Western and there is also a "Factors when picking a school" thread stickied to the first page of the forum that has pro/con lists for a bunch of the schools. There's a document on the last page of that thread with all of the information compiled.

Hi, I'd love to know how you like western!
You likely won't get a response from that person (it's been 3 years since their last post) but @Rwwilliams is currently at Western and there is also a "Factors when picking a school" thread stickied to the first page of the forum that has pro/con lists for a bunch of the schools. There's a document on the last page of that thread with all of the information compiled.

Yup, currently a second year at WesternU! Happy to answer any questions you might have about any aspect of the school. Just shoot me a PM :)

NCSU is moving in the PBL direction. The c/o 2018 is the first to progress through the new curriculum. First semester, first year, students enroll in a class called 'problem solving in veterinary medicine.' This class introduces the process of clinical reasoning- how clinicians move from client history, etc. to a final diagnosis. Once the SOAP process is outlined, clinicians representing various specialties (equine, SA, LA, exotics) demonstrate the SOAP process in action via actual case reports. Simultaneously, students move through 'video' cases with a group, from start to finish. Second semester, first year, there are two problem solving (PBL) courses. 'Small group problem solving' reviews the SOAP process. Students work through 3-4 cases with a faculty facilitator using the SOAP model. Facilitators role play the client, guide the discussion (if things are getting off track), highlight what students should be getting out of sessions, and selectively release information about the case to move the process forward in a controlled manner (for instance, students may request a CBC for the case, but the actual data won't be released to view until other diagnostics are completed first). The other problem solving class is 'problem solving in infection and immunity.' I really liked the way this class turned out. For the first 6 weeks, students are presented with lectures on diagnostic tools used to identify infectious processes (virus isolation, bacterial culture, flow cytometry). The lectures are delivered to the class as a whole, following which students divide into small groups once the series has concluded. Then, small groups work through cases associated with infectious disease. Students much choose the appropriate diagnostics (and justify these choices) to their respective facilitators. Students' recall of the first semester of infection/immunity (Bac-T, Mycology) as well as the second semester (Virology, Immunology, Parasitology) are brought to bear in solving cases. This has been my favorite problem solving class thus far. Problem solving continues in the NCSU curriculum in the second and third years, with decreasing levels of facilitator involvement. It is considered a central focus of the curriculum, although traditional lectures still form the backbone of student learning.

Thank you so much for your info!!