which schools give time off class for students to study for part I of boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagotech

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that ICO gives students 1 month off of class before boards. Does anyone else do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you which school doesn't. Berkeley gives 3 days.

Reactions: 1 user
PCO has a much lighter load that semester and even a class to prepare you for the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't equate time off for boards with success rates. Houston (until this year) as well as Salus gave lots of time off for boards, and each of their board scores fell significantly within the past 3-4 years. Houston and Salus have both restructured since then. We'll see what this year's are like.

Berkeley and Ohio State offer little to no time off (3-5 days max), but each of them has significantly higher pass rates. I wouldn't consider time off to study a factor. I'd consider the education and matriculating student population a factor.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't equate time off for boards with success rates. Houston (until this year) as well as Salus gave lots of time off for boards, and each of their board scores fell significantly within the past 3-4 years. Houston and Salus have both restructured since then. We'll see what this year's are like.

Berkeley and Ohio State offer little to no time off (3-5 days max), but each of them has significantly higher pass rates. I wouldn't consider time off to study a factor. I'd consider the education and matriculating student population a factor.
great point, thanks

At IUSO we have two weeks off before part 1 (except normal clinic shifts and preexisting AI duties), and this year part 1 is during spring break, so we have about 2.5 weeks off. They have been moving some classes around over the past couple years to give us more time for studying during the fall & spring semesters leading up to part 1.